Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding street for many years and own a 2008 zx 10.I am going to race classes this summer and want to buy a second bike for track/street/ and a bit of stunt wheelie.I want to get more aggressive with my riding and want to take it slowly.I plan on having this bike for 2 to 3 years and only mods I want to do are sprocket and exhaust.I want to get the most out of this bike stock to challenge and better my riding skills.Also a bike that is easy to work on myself.I am currently thinking about

2002 Kawasaki zx6
2003 Kawasaki ex500
old faithful 2000 Kawasaki zx-7
2003 Honda cbr 900
2003 Honda cbr 600

I want to keep the purchase price low so when I crash it I am not crying about my loss, just fixer up and keep going.I am just starting out and I don't plan on winning any races but are theses bikes to old to be competitive?I know a lot has to do with the rider not just the bike.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a bike that I bought just for track days. Its an 05 GSXR600, I got it from a guy that had raced it for 4 or 5 years and it was already set up as a track bike. Sharkskinz, everything was safety wired already, suspension was fresh, came with extra chains and sprockets, front and rear stands and it even had a nice steering damper installed. I paid less for it than I would have paid for a worn out street bike, plus all of the track-only mods were already done.

I'd be looking for somebody elses track bike, regardless of make or model. Converting a street bike to a track bike is a pain in the ass. Taking the lights and mirrors off, taping some of them up, flushing the cooling system, then take it home and un-do all of it... Fuck that noise.

Also, street riding ruins track tires and street tires don't work very well on the track. My track bike never sees the street and my street bike has never been on the track.

·
Always On Mod
1,839 Posts
Im not a stunter, so can't comment there, but the list you have is kinda old to be competitive with modern races. Not that you couldn't race them, just may be more of a challenge. Which class do you want to race? An '04-'08 600 would be good in my opinion and some retiring race bikes should be in the market for a decent price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.I would like to race 600 cc class but thought maybe the bigger bikes would be less competitive?

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
Your selling the Gixxer.
I think so Techx. It takes me at least a day to get ready to go to the track and another to get everything unloaded, cleaned and put away when I get back. Its a two and a half hour drive one way to the closest track and a track day is over 200 bucks not counting fuel, food and drinks. So two days of my time. Five hours driving and at least 250 bucks all for a MAX of two hours ride time. Thats with 0 red flags. (Of coarse there are always those). It just doesnt add up. Im looking into racing shifter carts.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I think so Techx. It takes me at least a day to get ready to go to the track and another to get everything unloaded, cleaned and put away when I get back. Its a two and a half hour drive one way to the closest track and a track day is over 200 bucks not counting fuel, food and drinks. So two days of my time. Five hours driving and at least 250 bucks all for a MAX of two hours ride time. Thats with 0 red flags. (Of coarse there are always those). It just doesnt add up. Im looking into racing shifter carts.

Well sorry to hear that but it makes sense with the track so far away. I'm lucky the track is just 30 minutes from my house. Shifter carts should be fun though.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
Well sorry to hear that but it makes sense with the track so far away. I'm lucky the track is just 30 minutes from my house. Shifter carts should be fun though.
Yeah it kinda sucks. But honestly I never dreamed in my life I would be able to even own a street bike. Much less two. Much less get to do three years of track days and The Speed Academy. I mean sitting on my 10 speed looking in the Honda shop window those things seemed an eternity away so Im really grateful for what I have been able to do. I haven't given it up yet but the carts look appealing. The cart track is open 7 days a week so I would never have to wait for a track day. Its only 40 minutes over so I save 3 hours of driving. All that and the fact that its 56 bucks for the whole day vs. 205 for a track day. Its almost a no brainer.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I bought an enclosed trailer for those exact reasons. I don't have the hours of load/unload/load/unload and that removes 90% of the stress of getting to and from the track. Now I just wake up the next morning and pull out of the driveway.

Why don't you race the bike? Your then at the track for more than a day so you don't spend so much time driving and it's a lot more fun than doing laps for nothing.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
I bought an enclosed trailer for those exact reasons. I don't have the hours of load/unload/load/unload and that removes 90% of the stress of getting to and from the track. Now I just wake up the next morning and pull out of the driveway.

Why don't you race the bike? Your then at the track for more than a day so you don't spend so much time driving and it's a lot more fun than doing laps for nothing.
I thought of that but from what I can see it would just make it harder. I mean the drive would be the same except now I would need to run race tires. Probably a set every weekend. Instead of one set of Q3's for the whole year. Buy a generator. Buy tire warmers. Pay for a hotel at the track. Pack ALL that stuff up every night I leave the track for the hotel. Unload it all every day at the track....yadda, yadda. It just adds more headache than I already have. Don't get me wrong man, I would LOVE to keep doing it. Theres really nothing like it. But when the burden of doing it is outweighing the pleasure I get from it then it becomes difficult.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Well....sleep in the trailer! You only need to unpack the bike, give all your gear a home in the trailer so it doesn't need to be removed. If your using Q3's you don't need warmers or a generator and you'll use the same amount of tire as you would at a track day or maybe less because you don't get quite as much track time. I personally would find a used set of warmers and a generator so that when your ready for track rubber it's not a big expense all at once. You'll pick up speed so the Q3's may not be up to the task after a weekend or two.

Like I said, I understand the pack up/unload thing gets old real quick, it was 3-4hrs of my weekend. Now that I have an enclosed trailer I don't stress about forgetting things or need to wake up 1hr early to pack all my crap a specific way so it all fits. Wake up, grab a coffee, start the truck, drive away. Get home, park, walk inside for a shower and a bowl of ice cream.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well....sleep in the trailer! You only need to unpack the bike, give all your gear a home in the trailer so it doesn't need to be removed. If your using Q3's you don't need warmers or a generator and you'll use the same amount of tire as you would at a track day or maybe less because you don't get quite as much track time. I personally would find a used set of warmers and a generator so that when your ready for track rubber it's not a big expense all at once. You'll pick up speed so the Q3's may not be up to the task after a weekend or two.

Like I said, I understand the pack up/unload thing gets old real quick, it was 3-4hrs of my weekend. Now that I have an enclosed trailer I don't stress about forgetting things or need to wake up 1hr early to pack all my crap a specific way so it all fits. Wake up, grab a coffee, start the truck, drive away. Get home, park, walk inside for a shower and a bowl of ice cream.
I totally agree with all this. Some guy was telling me the other day that you need tire warmers and a generator in order to do a track day. Bosh. You don't need tire warmers. Any good track tire like a Q3 will warm up very quickly and it's not a race from the first lap anyway. Guys who set up with all their tire warmers and front/rear stands and generators for a track day are just posing. You don't need that stuff.

Also he is right, a track day you will use up a lot more rubber. Racing you only have a few practice sessions and they are usually quite brief.

These track days where you are going out 40 minutes every hour (CLASS, for example) are silly in my opinion (and yes I have done quite a few CLASSes); no one can ride hard all day like that and get anything out of it except to be exhausted at the end of the day. 20 min/hour is fine and gives you time to rest, set up your bike, and hydrate or get coffee or snacks and review your riding.

BTW, I just had Freddie Spencer autograph my ass and it took 5 seconds off my lap times,:crackup:

dricked is right, don't stress it, enjoy yerself.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I thought of that but from what I can see it would just make it harder. I mean the drive would be the same except now I would need to run race tires. Probably a set every weekend. Instead of one set of Q3's for the whole year. Buy a generator. Buy tire warmers. Pay for a hotel at the track. Pack ALL that stuff up every night I leave the track for the hotel. Unload it all every day at the track....yadda, yadda. It just adds more headache than I already have. Don't get me wrong man, I would LOVE to keep doing it. Theres really nothing like it. But when the burden of doing it is outweighing the pleasure I get from it then it becomes difficult.
One other thing is that racing is in many ways safer than a track day. At least everyone has passed some kind of training and has a race license. You can always hang back and ride with guys who are at your pace. Most club races are so short you won't get lapped and if you are getting lapped maybe you need to get in another category or take up needlepoint.

All that loading/unloading, yes it's starting to deter me as well, but then again I have done my time club racing and instructing and I was a darn good rider; I was smooth, knew the lines, and never fell, ever. I taught the beginners how to ride on the local tracks in my area, where the line was, what to watch out for. I think I helped a lot of people. Some went on to race and got way faster than I ever was but that's the idea.

I did a few track days last year and might do another this year but I have been put off somewhat. Part of it's just age; I can still ride as well as ever but that big "excitement" of being on the track and all has worn off. I am concentrating on pure street riding now which I greatly enjoy.

But the track is where you really, truly have to be in order to learn to ride. I will never forget the many times when the smug smartasses from the local watering hole finally took me up on my offer of coming to a track day. They thought I was slow on the local roads but, lo and behold, I smoked them all like they were parked when they came to my track. That shut them right up.:crackup:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The shifter cart thing sounds like a good idea to me given your distance from the track. It's cheaper which makes financial sense and the track is close by. No matter what anyone says racing is more expensive than track day. You push harder and wear things out faster. Plus even though most racer's have been to some sort of training Its still racing and those boys will stuff you on corner entrance as soon as look at you, so IMHO you take more risk racing than at track day even though there are more unskilled riders on track.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Dang White Fang you really hold yourself in high esteem you should right a book or something.

You seem to knock a majority of the riding community with you snide remarks.

There are lots of types of riders out there. I listen to these kids all the time talking about how they can do this or do that.

Dang man, they're having fun and enjoying the sport, I know a lot of them can't back it up, who cares they're having fun.

You should get off your high horse, shake their hand and let them know if they ever need any help just to ask.

Smearing their nose in it, making fun of them is not what it's all about man.

Get a life.

·
Always On Mod
1,839 Posts
Take a look at mini bikes. Honda NSR, or Aprilia RS. Bikes are fairly cheap. They run them at cart tracks out here in CA. Tires last forever, Trackdays are $25. Bike speeds aren't as crazy so if you crash to damage is minimal. My buddy keeps trying to drag me along, but I'm into the big bike racing for now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts