Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just bought my first 05 ZX10r and it's stalling almost everytime I pull in the clutch to come to a stop. It always starts right back up and if I keep my hand on the throttle it won't die. When I first start it up it idles kinda high, 2200ish rpm, then settles down to around 1000 rpm. It only seems to die once the engine is warm.

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking tps or iacv.... I'm also looking for a service manual download link if anyone has one.

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike idles fine when cold. Once warm it dies as soon as you let off the gas... I'll give that a try once I get the idle screw freed up. It's froze and will not turn either way... I'm thinking it's something else but I'll try that first.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just noticed your in Elkhart. If your ever looking for someone to ride with let me know. I have a decent group. We usually try to find the twistiest route possible.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sounds like temperature sensor deviation. You should check out both water and air temperature sensors according the service manual procedure.

If you have a power commander then remove or load a zero map to rule it out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply! I just downloaded the manual from the site. I'll check it out tomorrow. Forgot to mention bike has no mods, all stock.

I am not familiar... Care to add why you think it could be those sensors?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
how many miles are on the bike? when was the last time you cleaned the air filter?

·
Registered
742 Posts
A wrong temperature value will cause the ECU to choose an unsuitable inyection time within the map matrix. In other words it may run too lean for the actual temperature. I say lean because the engine can still idle if being too rich and this condition is also evidenced by black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe.
The ECU fuel map matrix is based on throttle position, RPM, outside pressure, and air and water temperature. Having said that any other sensors could be as well causing your issue (TPS, air pressure sensor) If the temp ones prove to be fine,then you should go on with the other two.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A wrong temperature value will cause the ECU to choose an unsuitable inyection time within the map matrix. In other words it may run too lean for the actual temperature. I say lean because the engine can still idle if being too rich and this condition is also evidenced by black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe.
The ECU fuel map matrix is based on throttle position, RPM, outside pressure, and air and water temperature. Having said that any other sensors could be as well causing your issue (TPS, air pressure sensor) If the temp ones prove to be fine,then you should go on with the other two.
Good read! I'll get after it asap.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
when you say stock, do you mean the stock one that was put in from the factory, or youve replaced it with an OEM one, how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a oem air filter, 16,xxx miles. I would guess that it was changed at some point cause its pretty clean. I just bought the bike this week and I'm working my way through the maintenance. Gonna try to check the air/temp sensors this weekend...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Happened to me today on my gen 1. Engines stalled while on the freeway while on the throttle, turned it off and on then all was good. Before the stall, oil light and gas light flashed, weird.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Water Temp Sensor

Sounds like temperature sensor deviation. You should check out both water and air temperature sensors according the service manual procedure.

If you have a power commander then remove or load a zero map to rule it out.

I forgot to get back to you. The water temp sensor ended up being the problem. She is up and running/idling good now.
Thanks for your help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts