Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1st gen newbie check-in

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  HoneyBadger 
#1 ·
Hi all! Just wanted to share my recent purchase. Just picked up a 2005 10r a couple weeks ago in magma red with 3283 on the clock. I’ve been dreaming about owning a gen 1 for years and I finally pulled the trigger. Here are pics from the day I got her home. I couldn’t be happier!
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Plant

Tire Plant Wheel Flower Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Odometer Plant

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! Looks like you've got a nice, unmolested example there.

#4 ·
Yep, looks pretty much bone stock. Check for rust in the gas tank, and there is usually sludge in the fuel filter if it's been sitting that long.

Having gone through it now, the #1 thing this bike needs imo is updated front brakes

How much? Prices seem to be creeping up, saw a red one on cycletrader recently

#5 ·
Cost me $7500 🥴 not much of a steal or perfect but this is my favorite color, mileage was low and it seemed well kept up with. They want 6k right now for decent ones with 30k on them so oh well 🤷‍♂️ Had the tank off already and couldn’t see any in there. Didn’t check the filter while I was in there but she runs smooth. I want to upgrade the brakes soon.

#15 ·
Put down 159 hp and 79 ft-lbs. Tuner said I'd probably have a couple more if I'd have just gotten 89 instead of spending $6.23 on 93 on my way over 😂 anyway all dyno's are different and I was more concerned about getting the right ratios. This thing rips considering I weigh about 140 lbs.

#20 ·
I’m under the impression that removing the secondaries just adds throttle response. Block off plates just allow it to be tuned by stopping the airflow into the exhaust that would allow any excess fuel to be burned. I thought the exhaust valve might add 1 or 2 because I thought it closed at higher rpm to keep emissions in check.

#25 ·
Yes this is what I’ve heard. Also heard you get increased response as long as it’s tuned well. I was honestly hoping for a bit more on top but this thing is an animal on the street. Oh you wanna pull away from that light quickly… don’t mind if I loft the front end 😂
Fantastic machine those 04-05 ZX-10s are really fun!
Welcome!

I personally think adding the rear seat cowl on the gen 1 is beautiful
Thanks! Agreed! If anyone knows where I can get an oem one let me know!

#26 ·
Rear cowlings/seat covers are hard to find (new, or even decent used) - you can try here KAWASAKI All Models: Custom Parts for 356 models from classic to the latest - Webike

Make sure you look up the part number for the whole assembly with mounting brackets, not just the cowl piece e.g. 16146-0022-725 (last 3 digits is paint code) 2005 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-10R (ZX1000-C2) Seat | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

Also call before you order...many will list something in stock on a website and they don't actually have it

#27 ·
Rear cowlings/seat covers are hard to find (new, or even decent used) - you can try here KAWASAKI All Models: Custom Parts for 356 models from classic to the latest - Webike

Make sure you look up the part number for the whole assembly with mounting brackets, not just the cowl piece e.g. 16146-0022-725 (last 3 digits is paint code) 2005 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-10R (ZX1000-C2) Seat | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

Also call before you order...many will list something in stock on a website and they don't actually have it
Thanks for the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.