Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so since my wreck 3 yrs ago, the bike has basically been in storage. I had the frame checked and it was good. So now, I'm all gun-ho about fixing it and doing a track day this weekend.

So I go about ordering a bunch of stuff. I lost count how much. Anyway, I figure, the hell with it, while the bike was in pieces, I would take off the secondary butterfly's and the KLEEN/AIS system. Done. No big deal.

Ok, so now comes crunch time. I replaced a leaking engine cover, did an oil change. I put on all the hoses, connect the fuel pump fuel line and electrical hook up. Put in some fresh 92 octane, and installed a battery.

So I try to give it a start and it just turns and turns and turns. I try to prime the fuel injectors by turning the key on for a few(to listen to the fuel pump) and off. I keep trying to turn it over and it wont fire. It sounds like it's not getting any fuel. I don't smell any fuel coming out of the exhaust.
I doubt it's flooded.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did. I just pulled the fuel line that comes off the fuel pump and it's dry. I believe it and the electrical are hooked up right. I mean it's like plug n play, right? The electrical plug is hooked up to the fuel pump. And I just unpluged the fuel line and it's dry. I wonder if my fuel pump froze up on me?

Does anyone know how one goes about testing a fuel pump?

DAMN!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I did. I just pulled the fuel line that comes off the fuel pump and it's dry. I believe it and the electrical are hooked up right. I mean it's like plug n play, right? The electrical plug is hooked up to the fuel pump. And I just unpluged the fuel line and it's dry. I wonder if my fuel pump froze up on me?

Does anyone know how one goes about testing a fuel pump?

DAMN!
Page 3-105 in the Gen 1 manual walks you through inspection of the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Rechek all your work.You may have left something unpluged.Also check the tip over sensor.It may be stuck.Good luck.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I will definitely look in the manual. I think i'm going to have to break the multimeter out and make sure the fuel pump is getting juice also.

Worst case scenario that it's frozen Anyone know if this thing is rebuildable?

I looked at the tip over sensor. I unplugged it. Gave it a few mild taps, and plugged it back in. Didn't help. I checked all the fuses and connections.

Unfortunately, after the accident, I somehow lost the small wire loom that connects between the main wiring loom and the gauge cluster. So I'm blind as far as FI codes.

So, I pulled the fuel line and tried to crank it over. The fuel pump isn't spitting any fuel out when the key is on, nor when I try to turn it over.

·
Registered
512 Posts
So, I pulled the fuel line and tried to crank it over. The fuel pump isn't spitting any fuel out when the key is on, nor when I try to turn it over.
I was just about to suggest this before I read your post. The other day I was messing with my throttle body/cables. I hooked everything up, set my tank on the bench right next to my bike (didnt need to have it seated properly yet, as I was going back and forth doing different things), but I somehow forgot to plug the fuel line back up.
When I cranked the bike fuel shot out from the fuel pump onto the floor. I realized if I were to put that hanging hose in a bucket, it'd be a good way to check if the pump actually worked, if I ever had problems.

Also when the bike is in neutral, turn the ignition on and right before you start the bike the fuel pump on my 6r makes a noise, I am sure my 10R did the same, so if it doesnt make a noise something may be wrong or its not plugged up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Right on. lol. I figured it wouldn't hurt. When i turn the key, the fuel pump does seem to be making a noise, but it doesn't sound right.

Does anyone know if a 06 fuel pump will fit on a 1st gen? They're cheap on ebay. I just called the dealer and they want like $300 and 3-5 days. I can't wait that long. I have to be ready by friday night. Does someone in SoCal have a 1st gen fuel pump they want to sell for a good price?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's an update. So I ended up reading through the service manual. I found section 3-105 (page 188.) Basically took my multimeter and put the black tip into the white stripe wire and the red tip into the red stripe wire. Turned the ignition on and wala! It's getting an inital peak 18v hit and immediately tapers off to a smooth 12v. No fuel ever came out of the pump and it never made a noise. I have come to the conclusion that the fuel pump is officially dead.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well if its gone, the gen 1 and the gen 2 have the same kawi part #, so they may be interchangeable. I just checked ebay and the cheapest Gen 1 pump is $91 shipped and the cheapest Gen 2 pump is $54. You may find one cheaper on here or another forum. Not sure if they are interchangeable but I would call a Kawi Dealership and see. Good Luck Bro.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Riding4life, ya, I have been wondering if the 2nd Gens are compatible with the first gens. That would be nice. Especially since they seem to be less expensive.

Thanks JVT, I called up a dealer yesterday and they were about $300 OTD with a gasket and about a week lead time.

Gonna make a few calls. See if I can get ahold of Kawi or someone and ask if the 2nd gen and 1st gen fuel pumps are identical?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Gonna make a few calls. See if I can get ahold of Kawi or someone and ask if the 2nd gen and 1st gen fuel pumps are identical?
I am sure this probably wont help any but I was just looking around at other Kawi fuel pumps and I realized that almost every kawi I have owned has the 49040# but has a different suffix.

The actual full SKU for the Gen 1 is: 49040-0004
The actual full SKU for the Gen 2 is: 49040-0011

But the Pic on the left is a Gen 1 Pump and the right is Gen 2 pump. They are not identical, but If I were a gambling man I would bet that they are still interchangeable despite the different look and suffix:2cents:.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am sure this probably wont help any but I was just looking around at other Kawi fuel pumps and I realized that almost every kawi I have owned has the 49040# but has a different suffix.

The actual full SKU for the Gen 1 is: 49040-0004
The actual full SKU for the Gen 2 is: 49040-0011

But the Pic on the left is a Gen 1 Pump and the right is Gen 2 pump. They are not identical, but If I were a gambling man I would bet that they are still interchangeable despite the different look and suffix:2cents:.

Ha ha! That's awesome. I did the same thing. :eek:ccasion1 They do look very similar. The service manual for the 1st gen says it runs at 40psi. I was getting ready to see what the 2nd gen runs at, at to see if the voltages are the same. But I got back on craigslist instead and found a guy within 45minutes driving distance. He has one for $40 almost new. So Now i'm just waiting for him to call me back!!

WOOOHOO!!

But, after this opentrack, (hopefully all goes well,) I am probrably going to look at picking up one and finding out just for shitz n gigles.
:badteeth:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Great news!! I picked up the fuel pump and installed it late last night....and she's alive! Alive I tell you. The bike is running!

The old one had this yellow grit on it. Kind of looked like that white buildup you get on your battery terminals. I had to clean the tank out real good to get that crap out of the system. I shot some starter fluid in the line, then pluged everything in. Put some injector cleaner in the tank and filled the tank with some new gas. Primed it up a few times. And at first it stutterd a bit. Turn on for a sec and died. Figured it was still trying to get fuel to the rail. And after a few tries she fired right up.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Awesome!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts