Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Why??

Engine mounts are not in the same places and the two engines are not the same shape and the ignition system is not compatible, and the old Ninja 750 engine was designed for side-draft carbs so the intake ports are at completely the wrong angle. And for all your trouble, you will get a non-fuel-injected engine that eats camshafts and rocker arms (been there) and makes no more power than the 636 engine.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Why??

Engine mounts are not in the same places and the two engines are not the same shape and the ignition system is not compatible, and the old Ninja 750 engine was designed for side-draft carbs so the intake ports are at completely the wrong angle. And for all your trouble, you will get a non-fuel-injected engine that eats camshafts and rocker arms (been there) and makes no more power than the 636 engine.
:+1:I had the same problems with mine that motor design sucks

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Why??

not only that replacing a 636 engine that would beat or faster than the 1000s + in that year and should be heavier. :dontknow:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah........I figured as much. long shot. Thanks.

as to the "why".........cheap 750 engine available and the 636 threw a rod thru the case.

cant find a replacement engine for less than @ $1000.

guess i'll end up tearing it down & seeing what all is bad & patch her up.

just dont have much time to do it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
yea the bike would be slower... have no resale valve. more problems... it would make the bike junk. I have seen a zx10 motor in a 636 but it was about cut in half to make it work.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Yeah........I figured as much. long shot. Thanks.

as to the "why".........cheap 750 engine available and the 636 threw a rod thru the case.

cant find a replacement engine for less than @ $1000.

guess i'll end up tearing it down & seeing what all is bad & patch her up.

just dont have much time to do it.

What are the chances of selling the 88' motor (even to a salvage yard) to fund the rebuild of the 636 engine? just a thought....best of luck eitherway man.

·
Registered
700 Posts
the motor would probably bring $100, 200 at the most if he could even find a buyer. There is a reason that you found it cheap.

If you just wont it fixed cheap. A 98-02 zx6r (not E model). would be a pretty easy install as it is the same block design and should be close to mounting up. and you could put the FI from your bike on it but you would haft to have a dyno tune at $200 so the fuel mixtures are right.

So pretty much get the right motor or part the bike out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts