Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I've been building my Gen 4 engine to land speed race in the standing mile and at Bonneville. Production class, so no visible mods other than mirrors, signals, and sprocket.

Exhaust cat box has been modified with straight pipe. It was ready, but I didn't have the right gasket, so these pulls are with a Akrapovic link pipe and muffler. I don't expect much difference.

Initial tuning is complete, Brian Livengood at Livengood Motorsports in Lawrenceville, GA did a great job. He tunes NA, nitrous, turbo bikes, all around careful and knowledgable guy. He also builds engines.

The engine has stock pistons, with CNC ported head by Jim Gilnack at Competition CNC (.com) - He has done heads for Rickey Gadson's Gen 4, and works with a bunch of grudge bike owners. Cecil Towner also if you know him. Very smart and helpful, reasonable cost.

Kawasaki race cams, 112 intake / 110 exhaust.

Dynotronics ECU flash. Joe McClughan.

Worldwide ceramic trans and wheel bearings. Dave Conforti is the man.

PC-V and ignition module (1.6.10 firmware). MR12 fuel. We spent 4 hours dealing with the PC-V, turns out the 1.8.8 firmware DOES NOT work, I was dropping #4 cylinder off and on.

A few other little things to make and preserve power.

For fun I switched to the STD correction factor, and got 201hp, har har. With ramair it will probably make over 200 for real, depending on weather. I have no idea how the aeros will work on this bike, I think it's worse than my old Gen 2, but who knows. If I can get around 195 in the standing mile, I'll be happy. Wish me luck.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Damn it boy, that is sweet.

:thumbsup:

My outlaws live there in Larenceville.

How much would you say you have spent doing this ?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Total outlay, including the cost of the bike, painting, tuning, fuel, oil, spares, is a little more than the $ I got by parting out my nitrous and turbo bikes. Once I'm happy with modded OEM exhaust, I'll sell the Akra and Bazzaz box, and have some travel $ for Bonneville. It helps that I've gotten sponsor support, and that I do all my own work.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,545 Posts
I bet that would be fun as hell to ride with that setup! Good luck in the Mile. Can't wait to hear what she does.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Dean as a close comparison... My Gen 1 had a Coby cylinder head and Kawasaki Kit intake cam . Basically the same mods as your Gen 4 has... It made 174 SAE..... My GOD man !! 197 is freaking unreal !!!!! Now that was on pump gas and the ECU hadn't been flashed to allow extended RPMs so taking that into account I still think the Gen4 has a good 10 Hp on the evil Gen1.... Man your cam numbers are set for some top end power aren't they? My numbers were 105 / 103.5 and I would have went lower had the PTV allowed.. I started at 107/ 104 like everyone else was doing and that lasted for about a 10 min test ride and motor back on the stand and moved! She had long legs there but was a DOG on the street!! It ran quite well as I ran it against Chad's 10R that went 201 at Maxton with Dan piloting the 10 and me on mine ( same weight riders or close anyway) with that situation my 10 beat Chad's 7 out of 8 runs with one being just about aborted due to huge wheelie but stayed with it anyway and it netted a loss..

That all said I'm very eager to hear what your new bike runs! Seriously it should break 202 if the aeros are good like you say.. But they can't be worse than the Gen1 I wouldn't think.. Now Chad did have a cut down tank I believe when he ran that speed it's been nearly a lifetime ago it seems.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, the aeros are the big unknown. Here's a comparison of my old Gen 2 on pump gas, and the Gen 4 on ERC unleaded, and stock ignition timing. Same torque - but the Gen 4 pushes everything later. These bikes have .400 cams right from the factory!

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Good luck man. Keep us up to date.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Make sure when you do this, submit pics and info to SSB huh.

They like to put our guys in there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
knew from your experience that bike was going to be special. congrats dean. i made 187.88 on brian's dyno with same fuel on std. reading, the most he's ever seen on a stk. piston 1000, until now. your 13-14 hp more, that is a lot more power at that level. does a lot of gixxers and told me they seldom see 170 out of them. that should be a record holder.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Is there anyway that a 4g head would fit on a stock 3G block? Any benefits or would building a 3G head be the same?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey folks, I've been building my Gen 4 engine to land speed race in the standing mile and at Bonneville. Production class, so no visible mods other than mirrors, signals, and sprocket.

Exhaust cat box has been modified with straight pipe. It was ready, but I didn't have the right gasket, so these pulls are with a Akrapovic link pipe and muffler. I don't expect much difference.

Initial tuning is complete, Brian Livengood at Livengood Motorsports in Lawrenceville, GA did a great job. He tunes NA, nitrous, turbo bikes, all around careful and knowledgable guy. He also builds engines.

The engine has stock pistons, with CNC ported head by Jim Gilnack at Competition CNC (.com) - He has done heads for Rickey Gadson's Gen 4, and works with a bunch of grudge bike owners. Cecil Towner also if you know him. Very smart and helpful, reasonable cost.

Kawasaki race cams, 112 intake / 110 exhaust.

Dynotronics ECU flash. Joe McClughan.

Worldwide ceramic trans and wheel bearings. Dave Conforti is the man.

PC-V and ignition module (1.6.10 firmware). MR12 fuel. We spent 4 hours dealing with the PC-V, turns out the 1.8.8 firmware DOES NOT work, I was dropping #4 cylinder off and on.

A few other little things to make and preserve power.

For fun I switched to the STD correction factor, and got 201hp, har har. With ramair it will probably make over 200 for real, depending on weather. I have no idea how the aeros will work on this bike, I think it's worse than my old Gen 2, but who knows. If I can get around 195 in the standing mile, I'll be happy. Wish me luck.
Is this dyno run with the stock OEM air filter or did you use an aftermarket filter? If aftermarket which one if you don't mid saying. Thanks, Sel

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Jim. 188 from a Gen 1 on stock pistons is outrageous, congrats! You have a lot of talent with head porting and engine building. What's your best ET?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A Gen 4 head will fit on a Gen 1-3 block, the head gasket is the same. But you'd need to machine the boss for the cam sensor, the Gen 4 doesn't use one. But it could be done pretty easily I think. It would be worth it, the intake buckets are much bigger on the Gen 4, 29mm, so you can use a bigger cam. The race take is .413". Intake valves are bigger too. The throttle bodies are 47mm, and oval, you'd need those too. But after all that, you might as well transplant the whole engine, then the airbox wouldn't fit, etc etc. But for sure if you run into a head, buy it.

No air filters in land speed racing! :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts