Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a tire installed on my bike...and was in a hurry to get home b4 the rain..when I got home I was looking @ the tire and it looked a bit tall to me..so it end's up its a 190/55 2ct instead of the 190/50 2ct that I was getting...from what I have seen on boars a lot of the guys run 55's over the 50's what are the reasons for this? and what are the pros for running a 50 over a 55 ?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I just had a tire installed on my bike...and was in a hurry to get home b4 the rain..when I got home I was looking @ the tire and it looked a bit tall to me..so it end's up its a 190/55 2ct instead of the 190/50 2ct that I was getting...from what I have seen on boards a lot of the guys run 55's over the 50's what are the reasons for this? and what are the pros for running a 50 over a 55 ?
The most obvious change is a taller profile therefor raising the rear a bit, mmmmm for sake of discussion prolly 4mm to give an idea. The 55 will also put more weight over the frontend due to the change as well as allowing the rider to transition side to side with less effort. Another plus is the 55 series will be more compliant so when leaned over it will create a larger contact area thus more traction avail...................dunno what the 50 used for :spit:

BD

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The most obvious change is a taller profile therefor raising the rear a bit, mmmmm for sake of discussion prolly 4mm to give an idea. The 55 will also put more weight over the frontend due to the change as well as allowing the rider to transition side to side with less effort. Another plus is the 55 series will be more compliant so when leaned over it will create a larger contact area thus more traction avail...................dunno what the 50 used for :spit:

BD
:+1: Once I went 190/55 I have never went back love the way it handles much better

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just the info I was looking for...the shop told me to bring it back and he would swap it for the size I had asked for...but I think I will tell him I will just keep this one...plus I kinda like the way it looks...I have not gotten to ride yet other then the race home b4 the rain...thanxs again for the info guys!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not a 10 but I did the swap on my old Z1000. What a difference.

On the 50, the bike had a tendency to stand up when leaned in corners due to the 'flatter' profile. With the more pointy, triangular profile of the 55, the bike turned and fell into corners and was oh so stable on its side.

I'd go for a 55 any time I can get my hands on one now...

I haven't had my 10 long enough to figure the handling, considering it's winter and our roads are a bit crap at the moment...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts