Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the Android phone App from HealTech. Free download and a great app for your phone. So simple, NO adds or BS.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HealTech.SHv4_Calculator&hl=en

I found it interesting that Dropping the rear tire profile down is a bigger change than adding 1 tooth to rear sprocket.

I am using HealTech's phone app, which is AWESOME!!, and am not including the correction for factory speedo error. This is JUST what the gearing changes equate to alone. But there is a rather large correction for factory speedo error itself too.

Thought this may be useful to guys looking at gearing changes and what does what and such,lol.

So, going from a 190-55-17 to a 190-50-17 = -3% correction needed to speedo healer. Speedometer would read 3% higher than actual speed for the newbs on here.

JUST adding 1 Tooth to rear sprocket = -2.4% correction needed to speedo healer. Speedometer would read 2.4% higher than actual speed for the newbs on here.

A -1 front sprocket ONLY = -8.2% correction needed.

A -2 front sprocket ONLY = -13.9% correction needed.

-1/+2 = -10.4% correction needed.

Give another

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
awesome!! since Im goin back to a 50 from the 55 I got on right now that should help out quite a bit

·
Registered
554 Posts
Why would anyone 'go back' to a 50 profile tyre?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
For this. It hooks better

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ yes indeedy it does! The 50 series has a flatter profile, bigger middle contact patch. A 55 series turns in better because it is a pointier profile tire which has a smaller center patch but larger side/lean contact patch. 50 series for drag racing and 55 series for knee draggin. That sums it up best.
If you have a 50 series still on a Gen1 and like knee dragging put a 55 on it and see how much easier it is to lean. Put a 50 series on a drag bike and it will hook better launching and even on street spins less.
The 50 series accelerates quicker because it is a smaller diameter tire. But also looses some top speed because of that. Just like a sprocket change.

·
Registered
554 Posts
For this. It hooks better
^ yes indeedy it does! The 50 series has a flatter profile, bigger middle contact patch. A 55 series turns in better because it is a pointier profile tire which has a smaller center patch but larger side/lean contact patch. 50 series for drag racing and 55 series for knee draggin. That sums it up best.
If you have a 50 series still on a Gen1 and like knee dragging put a 55 on it and see how much easier it is to lean. Put a 50 series on a drag bike and it will hook better launching and even on street spins less.
The 50 series accelerates quicker because it is a smaller diameter tire. But also looses some top speed because of that. Just like a sprocket change.
Ah yes! Sorry, I didn't even think about drag racing, thats another thing which seems to be quite different between the US and UK biking fraternities. There seems to be many more of you guys that are into the drag racing than over here :cool:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,549 Posts
Aside from the gearing change, another advantage of going to a 50 series tire is it's lighter weight. Since there's less rubber in the smaller tire, the weight is typically less for a 50 series. It's not a whole lot, but it is rotational weight which should help spin it up farther. All good things in a drag racing scenario. I won't go back to a 50 series cause I like to corner, but there are some advantages. :wink:

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Ah yes! Sorry, I didn't even think about drag racing, thats another thing which seems to be quite different between the US and UK biking fraternities. There seems to be many more of you guys that are into the drag racing than over here :cool:
American culture brother. No replacement for displacement!! Some of us like to put our knees on the floor, some of us like to be to the other end of a the block faster. Do you guys have many drag strips over that way?

Aside from the gearing change, another advantage of going to a 50 series tire is it's lighter weight. Since there's less rubber in the smaller tire, the weight is typically less for a 50 series. It's not a whole lot, but it is rotational weight which should help spin it up farther. All good things in a drag racing scenario. I won't go back to a 50 series cause I like to corner, but there are some advantages. :wink:
Advantages and disadvantages either which way. Just gotta be setup for what you want. Thats what I need a 50 instead. I liked the 55, turns great. Just not as happy on the strip.

·
Registered
554 Posts
American culture brother. No replacement for displacement!! Some of us like to put our knees on the floor, some of us like to be to the other end of a the block faster. Do you guys have many drag strips over that way?
We have a few, not many, but we do have one of the best in Europe, often used for the FIA Drag Racing finals at Santa Pod Raceway http://www.santapod.co.uk/ I've been a few times for car shows but never been down it myself :cool:

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
do a quick run down of -2,+2 with a 190 55 for me right quick, would u Eric?

no iphone here

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do a quick run down of -2,+2 with a 190 55 for me right quick, would u Eric?

no iphone here
Yours is -16% with no speedometer error factored in.

It is -20.3% with the factory error factored in man.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Yours is -16% with no speedometer error factored in.

It is -20.3% with the factory error factored in man.
thanks just checking to see if I had it right

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Motorola android phones ate better than an I phone unless you want tons of radio stuff to dock into. The Motorola phones like ATRIX 4g and new razor have notebooks they dock into turning phone into a REAL computer which rocks.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey bro can you do a:

Gen 3, 190 55 17, -1+2 for me? I know that the 50 series will affect it some, just don't know what the -1+2 and factory speedo will be all together.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey bro can you do a:

Gen 3, 190 55 17, -1+2 for me? I know that the 50 series will affect it some, just don't know what the -1+2 and factory speedo will be all together.
What's the stock gearing on yours? Makes a little difference.
If 17/39 it's a correction of -15.1% factory speedometer error corrected for -1/+2 gearing.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
hes on a Gen 3 17/41

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts