Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need to change my tires, and i have a 190/50 at the back now. Want to place a 190/55.

Will it fitt? Or will it hit the rear fender or swingarm?
Someone told me a longer chain is needed. But my chain kit is not worn yet.

grtz

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
It will fit just fine with no problems or issues man. Unless you JUST installed a new chain and have the rear wheel/axle pushed as far forward as possible.... You won't have any issues as the 55 Is just 5mm taller then the 50. Comes out to less than a 1/4" or .25" I believe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,339 Posts
As TMY said, it will fit and help out the handling quite nicely. You may have some clearance issues with the rear hugger though, depending on the tire (the profile and how much it grows at speed) and how much chain wear you have. If the rear axle is moved forward because of gearing changes or chain condition, you're more likely to have issues as opposed to it being towards the rear of the adjustable range. The easy fix for most guys running that tire who do have issues is to just unbolt the hugger and go with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys. Glad to hear that.

So when i have to replace the chain, i should a buy a slightly longer chain?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,339 Posts
Ok thanks guys. Glad to hear that.

So when i have to replace the chain, i should a buy a slightly longer chain?
No, not necessarily. Plus, you just cut it to length anyway. Depending on your gearing, you may not be able to add a couple links. You'll just have to see. The easier way would be to drop a tooth on the front sprocket, which will give you some more room. Or just remove the hugger.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
lol, go -1 on the front when you change tires and youll have plenty of space and not worry about it. I was dumbfounded how much more stable the Gen 1 is when the rear axle is pushed back for that little extra wheelbase.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
lol, go -1 on the front when you change tires and youll have plenty of space and not worry about it. I was dumbfounded how much more stable the Gen 1 is when the rear axle is pushed back for that little extra wheelbase.
Thats affirmative.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
The 55 will affect handleing one way or the other...Depending on rear sprocket and chain length you may shorten or lengthen the wheel base which makes it turn in faster or be a lil more stable in sweepers..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have only ever run 190/55's on my gen1, never had clearance issues with the hugger, but will see how it goes when i need to replace the chain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Little update: Got the 190/55 under it now. New tire.

But the 'hairs' on the tire are hitting my hugger. So it will probably hit my hugger on high speed/when warmed up?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
So this has been my dilemma also..if to buy a 55 I've had a thought though....take the hugger off put a spacer under each bolt and attach it again...this should solve the clearence issue no?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You will love the different the 55 feels over the 50!!! That extra 5 mm makes a guge difference.
As for the fender, get rid of it, its ugly anyways, or just be creative and as PJD said above put some spacers under the bolts to raise it up a few...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You will love the different the 55 feels over the 50!!! That extra 5 mm makes a guge difference.
As for the fender, get rid of it, its ugly anyways, or just be creative and as PJD said above put some spacers under the bolts to raise it up a few...
Yeah, gonna try that first, some spacers, otherwise i'll just get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
just some washers should do the trick...if you do it, please let us know if it worked as i need to order a couple of sets of tires pretty soon.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Ive heard it before on here, people put spacers and it gave that extra bit of clearance.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
what would be the issue of fitting a 200 rear to a Gen 1?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts