Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hello: i have a ?.i have a 05 zx10 and would like to put a 190 55 size tire on it but iam consern that it will hit the tire hugger and not show the right speed on the speedo.i use the search button and only found ? to the 190 50 and 190 55 series tires but nothing about the hugger or speed please :idea: me thanks

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
The speedo will be off, but just a little bit, you even notice.
Wont have problem with the hugger.

It will help with your turn in!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Went with a BT-016 190/55 on the 14 and immediately noticed an improvement in turn in. I was told the 55 is ~10mm larger in diameter than the 50 so that is only going hug up to your hugger another 5mm. Larger contact patch on the sides in corners feels good. I leaned a lot harder on the 55. Seems to have stayed rounder a lot longer too.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
True but a 55 profile wont change it much.
Not like gearing will.... my bike was 20% off because of gearing, then you need a speedo healer.

From factory or if you change tires you will be fine, wont get speeding tickets because your speedo is off hahah

·
Registered
194 Posts
i put a 190/60 on my 05 and will never go back to a 190/50. and no issues with the hugger either but damn its close but looks even better that close. kinda like fender gap on a car. looks better lowered ;) and handles alot better too. doesnt try to stand up in the corners anymore

·
Registered
37 Posts
wont get speeding tickets because your speedo is off hahah
Actually, your speedo will read slower with a 55 height. My 14 was durn near dead nuts on the money after switching to the larger diameter...at least at legal speeds. Don't think you can go 10 over past the LEOs after switching to a 55.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have the original/stock sprockets, chain and hugger on my 2005 gen 1 10R. When I tried switching from the OEM 190/50 to a 190/55, I found that the tire was rubbing up against the center of the hugger. I had to put multiple washers under the mounting locations to raise the hugger sufficiently to clear the taller tire.

As for the difference in speedo error.. I don't recall. I have a Speedohealer v4.0, so I only switched the value by a couple of tenths to calibrate it. Love that thing. But forget it's there now...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The speedo will be off, but just a little bit, you even notice.
Wont have problem with the hugger.

It will help with your turn in!
My slicks burned a hole through my hugger. Its definitely possible to chew it up once you hit high speeds and the tire expands. Sitting on a set of stands, its close but it doesnt touch.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did the switch on my 04 to 55 series and run 2cts as well and you should definately raise hugger to allow for tire growth at speed. The bigger contact patch is nice when banked over. From my research when I switched, be advised that 04-05 models are pretty sensitve to swingarm angle as far as stability is concerned. I don't recall exactly, but my mechanic adjusted my shock pivot point(?) by 10mm(?) to compensate. Maybe Magic Mavis can chime in because I'm not a mechanic. It was info from a racer on this site.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i apreciate all of ur guys come back reply,i will probably take shovijic advice and put some washers under the hugger just to be safe and btw if u go to competition accessories.com u can get the tires 190-55 in brand michelin,dunlop,continental,bridgestone at a resenoble price.they carry more brands but this are the only ones that i saw that come in the 190-55 190-50 series for our 6 inch rims i dont feel good about using the 180-55 series on the 6 inch rim my 2 cents

1 - 14 of 14 Posts