Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to do the block off plates... took out the velocity stacks and the bolt under the damper bracket... ROCK SOLID
the hoses had some play but the airbag lower half would not move a single mm. I mean rock solid. felt/looks like throttle body clamps on the underside but I cant get under to access?

I watched the EJR youtube vid where he says its just the holes that hold the whole box on and you don't even have to remove the top half of airbag but I must be missing something here... or the 19 is different.
please show pics or vid for this dummy.....

also, have shock exposed so what mm shim should I go with? running stock tires, 175lbs in gear, want very quick light steering. did 8mm I think on my 14 and it made a HUGE difference in steering and wheelie reduction. but I imagine this bike has better suspension and geometry changes than my 14 did so I might want to go less than that so its not too front heavy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you remove the bolt in the front that secures the airbox to the frame?
yup under the damper bracket. there is the front ram air tube that goes into the lower half but I don't think its the thing that's holding it in I cant get it out regardless. must be missing something else.

looks like the clamps are holding it on from the underside???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill say.....
man what a bitch those two were. they could have put a wing nut on it or a little star to twist would have solved the issue right off the bat

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
You know there are little plugs in the frame on either side of the bike and they sell long Allen drivers with 3/8 inch socket fittings on the end and that the Allen's come facing the outside so all you need to do is pop the frame plugs off and go in through the outside of the bike and unscrew them. It's super easy. In the video it looks like the two clamps are now reversed so that they can't be accessed from the frame holes but have to be done from inside which would be. A royal pain in the ass

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
680 Posts
Get yourself a ball-head hex key set. It will make life 100x easier haha. The 1st time is always the hardest. Personally I flipped the clamps so they can be loosened from the inside of the frame as opposed to the outside.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Get yourself a ball-head hex key set. It will make life 100x easier haha. The 1st time is always the hardest. Personally I flipped the clamps so they can be loosened from the inside of the frame as opposed to the outside.
That's exactly what I was talking about, it's super easy to take them on and off or you could do like I do and just not tighten the fuckers back down. The rubber boots hold very well and once everything else is all plugged in and put on it isn't going anywhere anyway. Might not be the best idea but hasn't given me any issues

·
Registered
613 Posts
I couldn't find a ball head hex type that was in 1/4 drive as I thought 3/8 drive wouldn't really fit in area. Those plugs on the from are for getting the throttle body clamps loose and don't think that would be helpful at all for the air box boot clamps unless you flipped them around like you said. With my swivel and make shift hex socket I can get the clamps off easy now. As long as the clamps are different or don't clamp the boots different swapping sides so you can get them from the frame hole does sound like a good idea.

I don't think I'd want to run without the clamps though. they really aren't that big of a pain in the butt for me to not want to put them back on

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
680 Posts
You don't need a ratchet to tighten/loosen the clamps just get yourself a set of $10 hex keys from your local hardware store. You can only work them from the inside with the ball-head keys (clearance is an issue) otherwise you will need to keep them in OEM orientation.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but the throttle body boots coming off solves the problem all the same doesn't it? Removes all of the lower airbox at the same time....maybe I'm missing something here but idk, I have taken the shit off a few times. As far as being concerned about not tightening them back up, I ride the shit out of my bike. Have had it since June last year and put 18k miles on it so far. They are still fully seated. So pretty sure it's all good

·
Registered
18 zx10r
158 Posts
Did you end up shimming the rear shock? I haven't measured the swingarm angle yet but the rear feels pretty good.

·
Registered
Gen 5 ZX10R
210 Posts
trying to do the block off plates... took out the velocity stacks and the bolt under the damper bracket... ROCK SOLID
the hoses had some play but the airbag lower half would not move a single mm. I mean rock solid. felt/looks like throttle body clamps on the underside but I cant get under to access?

I watched the EJR youtube vid where he says its just the holes that hold the whole box on and you don't even have to remove the top half of airbag but I must be missing something here... or the 19 is different.
please show pics or vid for this dummy.....

also, have shock exposed so what mm shim should I go with? running stock tires, 175lbs in gear, want very quick light steering. did 8mm I think on my 14 and it made a HUGE difference in steering and wheelie reduction. but I imagine this bike has better suspension and geometry changes than my 14 did so I might want to go less than that so its not too front heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
I couldn't find a ball head hex type that was in 1/4 drive as I thought 3/8 drive wouldn't really fit in area. Those plugs on the from are for getting the throttle body clamps loose and don't think that would be helpful at all for the air box boot clamps unless you flipped them around like you said. With my swivel and make shift hex socket I can get the clamps off easy now. As long as the clamps are different or don't clamp the boots different swapping sides so you can get them from the frame hole does sound like a good idea.

I don't think I'd want to run without the clamps though. they really aren't that big of a pain in the butt for me to not want to put them back on
I use these and the adapter for my impact wrench to get in there with them in stock setup. Makes it retarded easy and fits no issue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts