355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI

Recall: The Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Recalled Over Backfire Issue

The following models are included in the recall:
  • 2019-2020 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
  • 2019-2020 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R ABS
  • 2019-2020 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10RT ABS KRT Edition
The defect notice submitted by Kawasaki describes how faulty engine control unit (ECU) programming can cause the Ninja’s 998cc inline-four engine to backfire when the rider uses the quick shifter. Repetitive backfire could eventually distort or even break the air suction valve—a component designed to help reduce the emissions produced by the engine.

With prolonged use, should the suction valve break, exhaust gas could flow backward in the exhaust system and its high temperature could cause other components to melt. Kawasaki suggests that in the most extreme cases, the issue could even cause a fire.

Recall number MC20-02 is expected to start on June 8, 2020. Kawasaki will communicate with owners of the affected motorcycles via mail and invite them to make an appointment with their Kawasaki dealership. The dealer will reprogram the ECU and inspect the air suction valve and surrounding components. Should there be signs of damage to any of the parts, they will all be replaced free of charge.

Should they have any questions or concerns, owners of all version of the 2019-2020 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R are welcome to contact the Kawasaki customer service at 1-866-802-9381. Customers can also direct their questions to the NHTSA’s hot line service available at 1-888-327-4236, and check online for further information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-10R, NINJA ZX-10R SE AND NINJA ZX-10RR
Sold by Kawasaki Motors Pty Ltd between 3 December 2018 and 25 March 2020.
Defect
  • The factory Engine Control Unit (ECU) programming may cause the engine to back fire when the quick shift function is used at high engine load.
Hazard
  • If Back Fire does occur this may result in deformation and/or breakage of the air suction valve(s). Continuous use may result in some surrounding parts melting caused by blow back of high temperature exhaust gas. In the worst case, it may result in a fire.
What to do
  • All affected consumers will be advised by mail to contact an Authorized Kawasaki Dealership to arrange a time to have a modification completed free of charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had it done today and it took from 2pm (when it was brought in the garage) to almost 5:30... though the billing is 1.4 hours. There was a notable difference when quick shifting up on the way home. I do have a decat exhaust and mine would backfire often prior to the service.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had it done today and it took from 2pm (when it was brought in the garage) to almost 5:30... though the billing is 1.4 hours. There was a notable difference when quick shifting up on the way home. I do have a decat exhaust and mine would backfire often prior to the service.
Was it just an ECU swap or software update?

·
Registered
393 Posts
only a software update? i called my dealer and they have to order parts for the recall. this was back on 6/12 and just put in a call today and there is a delay for all parts from japan. it doesn't sound like its only a software update.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
only a software update? i called my dealer and they have to order parts for the recall. this was back on 6/12 and just put in a call today and there is a delay for all parts from japan. it doesn't sound like its only a software update.
It's only a software update. If your dealer doesn't have the proper equipment or capability to reflash the ECU with the updated version of the software, then they'd have to order a new updated ECU with the software already installed on it. Then they have to swap and update the ECU that way. That's a dealer issue, not an issue for the recall. There's several options to resolve it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's only a software update. It clearly says right in the text of the recall to fix it is to "reprogram the ECU".

·
Registered
4 Posts
The recall i read says it's only a software update and for them to inspect the valves and replace as necessary. When I went to have it done, before they even looked at my bike, they told me they'd have to order valves which they received in less than a week. So I brought it back the next week. Maybe they received an updated service bulletin or they are just replacing valves automatically to CYA. They did not replace the ECU, only updated it. Hopefully, that's clear.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
The recall i read says it's only a software update and for them to inspect the valves and replace as necessary. When I went to have it done, before they even looked at my bike, they told me they'd have to order valves which they received in less than a week. So I brought it back the next week. Maybe they received an updated service bulletin or they are just replacing valves automatically to CYA. They did not replace the ECU, only updated it. Hopefully, that's clear.
Yup, it's clear. And you're right, it's CYA for the dealer. The air suction valve gets inspected. If it's damaged already and they don't have one in stock to replace it at the time, then the recall takes longer as it sits there waiting on parts. If they inspect it and it's fine, then no parts are needed other than the software update. But most dealers will just swap the valve it since it's easier than inspecting it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My local dealer wanted my bike for a week. I took matters into my own hands and ordered block of plates and installed them along with an air filter. But the bulletin quoted 1.5 hours for the recall, so go figure. Maybe I'll call them an make an appt to do the ecu flash before I have it tuned.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts