Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Would you run 180's on your ZX-10?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All, I was curious if anyone was running 180's on their 6R/636 and using the race takeoff's on their street zx10 with stock rims that normally take a 190. Since most of the wear is on the sides and there is generally quite a bit left over on the sides with 98% of the centers in tact...

I was thinking that the 180 may not seal correctly or just plain be a bad idea, but tell me what you think.

Just to be clear, the "Race takeoff" I refer to is a novice rider using street performance tires like a DC III etc. Not slicks. :)

Thanks,

BD

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a 180 on the back of my 05. It handles great, and I've not had any problems with it. I don't use race take off's because I commute and ride when it's too cold for track tires, but it fits the rim just fine.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I run a 180/55 Pilot Street 2 on the street and 190/55 003RS on the track. I have no issues, but I'm not an overly aggressive rider.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I am sure it is probably not enough to make a huge difference, but wouldn't it alter the profile of the tire a bit and potentially cause some set-up issues?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The best response I've seen so far is the concern for the contact patch. That alone gives me concern. Personal safety isn't worth saving a few bucks. Just trying to think of ways to get more dollar mileage out of my track tires. :)

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
The best response I've seen so far is the concern for the contact patch. That alone gives me concern.
I'd be more concerned with the sides being greasy that the actual contact patch. I missed the part of these be takeoffs. I won't use takeoffs for anything other than commuting duty. ...example...I use my 190/55 take offs on my ZX14 since I don't use the same lean angles on the 14 and the centers have plenty of meat. The 14 eats the center plenty quick but at least they're being used up and i have access to a power tire changer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be more concerned with the sides being greasy that the actual contact patch. I missed the part of these be takeoffs. I won't use takeoffs for anything other than commuting duty. ...example...I use my 190/55 take offs on my ZX14 since I don't use the same lean angles on the 14 and the centers have plenty of meat. The 14 eats the center plenty quick but at least they're being used up and i have access to a power tire changer.
I agree. Maybe i'll save one or two for Winter duty. We ride year round and in PA, yer definitely not leaning hard in the cold. :)

Thanks all for the input. :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
baddog said:
The best response I've seen so far is the concern for the contact patch. That alone gives me concern. Personal safety isn't worth saving a few bucks. Just trying to think of ways to get more dollar mileage out of my track tires.
Dude...how big of a difference do you think we're talking here? Millimeters at most. And don't forget that modern tires, especially "track" tires have more grip than the majority of people will ever need. Unless you have no throttle control whatsoever you will be completely safe on a 180 and get more tire use for your money.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Dude...how big of a difference do you think we're talking here? Millimeters at most. And don't forget that modern tires, especially "track" tires have more grip than the majority of people will ever need. Unless you have no throttle control whatsoever you will be completely safe on a 180 and get more tire use for your money.
I'd stick with the size your bike came with.....why go down to a 180?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I wouldn't say the narrowness of the tire would be the problem (180mm vs 190mm), i would say if anything, that it would be that the 180 tire's shape (profile) would probably be altered a bit and could cause some handling and/or set-up woes.

That is just my speculation

·
Registered
531 Posts
180's bad idea

I'm way too agressive to chance it again. I've already had an accident with tires I wasn't sure of once. I refuse to take any chances with 180's.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i run a 180/55 on the back currently. it works great, and it does turn in a bit faster/easier than it did wit the stock 190/50. having said that, my track tires are 190/55 in the rear, and that tire is AWESOME. my next street tires will be that size as well.

as for race/track day take-offs on the street, i'm not a fan of that idea. i ran my pirellis on the street (race tires, medium compound) and almost went down a couple times because those tires have NO grip until they are warmed up. just a thought...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
:lol: How many "Bad Idea" votes are from people who haven't even tried a 180/55?:rolleyes:

They are fine. Not as good as 190/55 for aggressive riders, but fine.

I can throw on a 180/55 and get knee down lean angles all day. Just don't get on the gas as early coming out.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i run a 180/55 on the back currently. it works great, and it does turn in a bit faster/easier than it did wit the stock 190/50. having said that, my track tires are 190/55 in the rear, and that tire is AWESOME. my next street tires will be that size as well.

as for race/track day take-offs on the street, i'm not a fan of that idea. i ran my pirellis on the street (race tires, medium compound) and almost went down a couple times because those tires have NO grip until they are warmed up. just a thought...
Pirellis are awesome tires when warm (supercorsas), but seem to be the worst "to me" without some good heat.

I can't say enough good things about the Dunlop 211's. Freakin' awesome tires. I hated Dunlops for years after the 207-208 era, but they are excellent now. 211's for the track and a front 211 rear Q2 for the street.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The best response I've seen so far is the concern for the contact patch. That alone gives me concern. Personal safety isn't worth saving a few bucks. Just trying to think of ways to get more dollar mileage out of my track tires. :)

Start running 190's on your 600.
Thats what I've been doing and its amazing the lean you can carry.

·
Registered
147 Posts
:lol: How many "bad idea" votes are from people who haven't even tried a 180/55?:rolleyes:

They are fine. Not as good as 190/55 for aggressive riders, but fine.

I can throw on a 180/55 and get knee down lean angles all day. Just don't get on the gas as early coming out.
:+1:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts