Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into chaning the gearing on the bike for top speed. I spoke to vortex about the 18 tooth front but they could not give me an estimate for the new speeds that the new sprocket would give me. I also was thinking about going down 1 or 2 teeth in the rear as well. the stock gearing for the 04 zx10r is 17/40. I was wondering if any one has done this type of thing to a similar bike or tho the 10 and what the outcome was. I would appericate the help due to lack of time and because I don't really have the money to buy a bunch of different sprocket combinations to play with.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry thats what vortex told me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
And, an 18T will require a longer chain. I tried it. Left it alone after that.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda figured that so I was thinking of a 520 conversion. But the strength issues are holding me back. I would rather not change the chain but if I have to though I will

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
if you're going UP on the front and DOWN on the back, I doubt you'd have to worry about the tensile strength of the 520

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Maze

If you try 17/37 that will deffinately work with the OEM chain AND you'll gain some wheelbase length (a plus)

BD

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Would an 18 even fit in there? I remember it being pretty tight quarters.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know about the fitment issue but I will let you know when I figure out what I am going to do. Also Bd do you know what the difference in mph would be with the 17/37 gearing?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Not exactly. But i do know that when i've used a +2 rear its reduced the top speed by 4mph so perhaps this scientific equation may work in reverse with a -2 rear..........:eyecrazy: :dontknow:

BD

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
might not get you much more top speed, there's many forces at work when you get anywhere near 180, and a bigger front sprocket might not necessarily get you more top speed.

You have to get past the 299kph limiter first though.

Do your guys 10r's top out at 299kph/189mph? I'm sure they do as per the motorcycle speed limit agreement don;t know for sure.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had thought about the wall issue at the higher speeds so I bought a nitrous kit and am planning on using it in 5th and 6th gear. As for the speed limiter issue I had asked around about this before and I was told that the 10r was not limited to 186mph but I was still not sure. I had also heard of the agreement between the manufactures to limit the bikes to that speed. I will get a spedo healer to solve the issue if the bike is infact limited.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey maze,

Check out this thread for an Excel spreadsheet that will let you do what/ifs with the gearing. For example:

17/39 196
17/37 207
18/39 208
18/37 219 Yeah, that's the ticket!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the link and the info on the sprockets. I will post what I decide to do and the results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts