Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anybody running a 17t on the front for dragracing im thinking about trying a 17t, i was told biger guys a 17t will work better. I got the lower 1st. tranny gear

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
What matters is the final drive ratio, not the number of teeth. Personally, I prefer staying with the stock number of teeth on the front sprocket and do all the ratio changing with the rear sprocket (and the length of the chain) ... it puts less stress on the chain, and it reduces the tendency of the chain rubbing on the plastic guide on the swingarm.

·
Registered
772 Posts
ok ima try and help you with this but its gona take some questions answers...ok.your a heavy dude,what kinda hp does the bike put down?wheelbase?are you spraying it?1/4 or 1/8

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok ima try and help you with this but its gona take some questions answers...ok.your a heavy dude,what kinda hp does the bike put down?wheelbase?are you spraying it?1/4 or 1/8
215 suited ,175 hp 84tq, 64'', all motor NO NOS, lower first gear in tranny, forks cut down 2'' rear shock re-valve, I run 1\4 best MPH with 16t 43t 151mph trapping in 5th gear about 8500rpms, best et with 16t 44t but im about 2 bike from trapping bumping the rev limiter. Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
215 suited ,175 hp 84tq, 64'', all motor NO NOS, lower first gear in tranny, forks cut down 2'' rear shock re-valve, I run 14 best MPH with 16t 43t 151mph trapping in 5th gear about 8500rpms, best et with 16t 44t but im about 2 bike from trapping bumping the rev limiter. Thanks
the only prob i see is that your gear is too tall if your only trapping 5th,you wana almost be at the end of 6th.that short first gear is meant so that you dont have to run a short gear...maybe a 15-42?the bike seems like its making good power to be running that mph with your weight.i wish i ran 1/4 more so i had a bit more knowledge on this.ive heard good and bad about the short first gear...some guys love it and others say its worthless

·
Registered
259 Posts
IMO
U dont want to trap in 6th, 5th is the gear u want to trap in(on motor). Why? 1 extra shift and u leave no room for more hp trapping in 6th.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Imo you want to be at the top of 5th. If the 16 44 has you almost at the limiter try 17 46 that should put you about 12 grand in 5th

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Bike makes more tq in sixth...

Stay away from a small front sprocket, 16 if you have to, 17 is even better. I'm going to an 18 soon enough actually.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Bike makes more tq in sixth...

Stay away from a small front sprocket, 16 if you have to, 17 is even better. I'm going to an 18 soon enough actually.

Thats what i've always thought...too small in front will not let you use the torque from the engine, its just rpms the engine quick..?:dontknow:

·
Registered
772 Posts
yall trip me out,gear ratio is gear ratio no matter if your changing the countershaft or on the axle,all that torque bs dont come into play until you get into bigger engines and i mean strokers.everybody thinks too much when it comes to gear....i ran a 14-43 gear on motor and left at 9k and the bike would do a backflip...now tell me i lost torque??its all about what works best for YOU and your ability.rider weight,hp and the rpm your leaving at is all you gota put into the picture.wheelbase depends on talent imo,you can put a super short gear under a really short bike and still ride the piss out of it if you got skill.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
yall trip me out,gear ratio is gear ratio no matter if your changing the countershaft or on the axle,all that torque bs dont come into play until you get into bigger engines and i mean strokers.everybody thinks too much when it comes to gear....i ran a 14-43 gear on motor and left at 9k and the bike would do a backflip...now tell me i lost torque??its all about what works best for YOU and your ability.rider weight,hp and the rpm your leaving at is all you gota put into the picture.wheelbase depends on talent imo,you can put a super short gear under a really short bike and still ride the piss out of it if you got skill.
I suggested going to big sprockets as opposed to a tiny one in the front due to the chain, not tq or any other reason. I hate small sprockets, they're hell on the chain, thats all....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts