Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have 2017 Zx10R in which I ordered new chain and sprockets. I was trying to go -1 +2 on the sprockets, but, I didn't know that the original front sprocket was 17 tooth. I ordered 15 tooth instead. I did order correctly on rear sprocket. Original was 39, I ordered 41 tooth. My question is, how much top speed am I losing going -2 +2? I have never topped this thing out, it is scary fast! I also just received my ECU from Moore Mafia for a flash also.
-Marchell-

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Regardless of top speed, you might find the -2 up front to be a little annoying on long distance highway rides. For instance, for my first chain replacement I went -1/+0 and I definitely noticed a nice difference in acceleration without any major impact to my highway commute. For my 2nd chain replacement I went with -1/+2 which kind of bugged me at first. I missed the lower 6th gear cruising RPM (and the lower exhaust drone) that the -1/+0 came with.

Ultimately I started using some very insulating earbuds shortly after (effectively performing as earplugs) and the highway drone stopped bothering me or I just got used to it. I wouldn't venture to a -2/+2 though (for a street bike that is).

That all being said, I'm a middle age dad who doesn't have an appreciation for an excessively loud exhaust note. Open pipe Harley Davidsons...ugh don't even get me started!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. I understand that, Porschenut! I'm a 41 year old kid myself!!! I just like to ride. I don't have to do 170 mph to have fun. Some days I only do 65 mph. Riding is my calmness. I just messed up and bought the wrong front sprocket, just trying to see if anyone has tried this setup before.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Ive ran -2+2 on my gen4 mainly did it for the track. It does pull harder down low and mid range with top speed around 170. I recently swap to -1 +2 i find it way better when im street riding if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, thanks zx racer! That is what I am looking for, someone who has actually did the swap. I bet it gets to 170 mph quick!!! I'm going to go ahead and do the swap this weekend. I have a new RK Gold chain also.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The beauty of this situation is that a -2/+2 or -1/+2 should both use the OEM chain length and front sprockets are cheap! Hell, I've got a new 525 JT 16T sprocket in my parts bin. You can have it for free if you pay for the shipping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The beauty of this situation is that a -2/+2 or -1/+2 should both use the OEM chain length and front sprockets are cheap! Hell, I've got a new 525 JT 16T sprocket in my parts bin. You can have it for free if you pay for the shipping.
Sir, if that 525 16T is STILL available, can I have it for FREE, if I pay the shipping? -🙏🏾

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sure.

Actually, I'm thinking this over again and international shipping wouldn't make it worth the effort (note - I'm in CANADA). You can order a sprocket in the U.S. and I'll bet you wouldn't pay more than cross border shipping (and I don't have to deal with the hassle). It's just a plain JT 16T like this one on eBay for $25 US$ (shipped within 50 states).

So come to think of it yet again...nope! I take back this free offer unless someone also considers the beaver to be their national animal and picks this thing up. 🙂 BTW I live in Vancouver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sure.

Actually, I'm thinking this over again and international shipping wouldn't make it worth the effort (note - I'm in CANADA). You can order a sprocket in the U.S. and I'll bet you wouldn't pay more than cross border shipping (and I don't have to deal with the hassle). It's just a plain JT 16T like this one on eBay for $25 US$ (shipped within 50 states).

So come to think of it yet again...nope! I take back this free offer unless someone also considers the beaver to be their national animal and picks this thing up. 🙂 BTW I live in Vancouver.
Okay sir. Thanks anyway. Have a good week! -🍀

1 - 10 of 10 Posts