Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Works out to lower than 16/39. I got away from the 16/39 combo when in search of a Pesky victory. Now that I've come to my sences i want to see what works best for me on the bike. Went out to bike night with the 17/42 tonight. Too much hooligan fun! Betwen the helibars and the lower gears I felt like I was on a big dirt bike. The big surprise was at legal highway speeds there was far less bar vibes than with higher gears. Guess the motor found a sweet spot. Have a 41t coming in any day to try also. The grunt this bike has when geared down some is just unreal.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
It is. :mrgreen:
I have a 16-39 right now...if I change to a 17-41 do I need a new chain, or can I use my existing chain? Just put new chain and sprockets on last month...

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Dunno how many links...got the whole set up from SprocketCenter.com in Huntington Beach...maybe I need to call the guy I had put it on for me...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
If the bikes near by just count the links or do you know where the axle center is?? front, middle near the rear?

BD

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I added two links to my stock chain and the axel is a little further back than it was with stock gears & chain.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Older Guy said:
I have a 16-39 right now...if I change to a 17-41 do I need a new chain, or can I use my existing chain? Just put new chain and sprockets on last month...
If your chain is stock length (110 links), then you need a new chain. You will need 112 or 114 links to make this combo work -- I went with 114 and a bit more length to the wheelbase for extra stability. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I ordered a DID ERV3 520 kit from Slava in 17/41 with an extra 40-tooth sprocket for the wheel that runs my rain tires. It'll be interesting to try both out. Has anyone (maybe on a track bike) added enough links to push the axle (nearly) all the way back to the stop? At race & track days, I'm the only guy with the axle 2mm from the front (the factory position). Not trying to jack Mikyl's thread btw.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
After seeing this thread and thinking....

all the tracks around here...the max you'll get out of a bike on the front stretch is ~170. I think when its time to change stuff out, I'll prolly end up goin with 17/43. Thats the highest I think I'll go, before dropping 2 teeth up front.

Also I think 17/43 will yeild at least 178 up top for me. Actual speed, not what the speedo says.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
SuicideMachine said:
I ordered a DID ERV3 520 kit from Slava in 17/41 with an extra 40-tooth sprocket for the wheel that runs my rain tires. It'll be interesting to try both out. Has anyone (maybe on a track bike) added enough links to push the axle (nearly) all the way back to the stop? At race & track days, I'm the only guy with the axle 2mm from the front (the factory position). Not trying to jack Mikyl's thread btw.
isn't the ERV3 the latest & greatest?? its not listed on DID's site.

BD

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
SuicideMachine said:
Has anyone (maybe on a track bike) added enough links to push the axle (nearly) all the way back to the stop?
17/41 with DID ERV 525 and 114 links. You can see in the pic that the rear axle is about as far back as you would want to go. Smoothed out the rear suspension action and made the bike more stable with a taller rear tire (e.g. 180/55 or 190/60).

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm running a 17/42 combo with a Vortex 17 up front, a Renthal alum 42 rear, and a DID 525 chain. Ended up with 116 links. Chain came as a 120 and ended up taking 4 off. My wheelbase is unchanged from stock. I'm sitting right at about 3 bars from the front position, so maybe midway in the adjustment.

Anyway I absolutely love everything about this setup except for the speedo being so off. I pegged her in 6th for long enough to find out that my speedo won't register any higher than 189. It still felt like she was pulling hard though and I wasn't bouncing off the rev limiter, although my shift light was on.

I know a police officer here that was friendly enough to shoot his radar gun on me to give me a more accurate speed test. Here were the results:

My speedo at 27 mph registers 25 mph on radar.
My speedo at 31 mph registers 28 mph on radar.
My speedo at 60 mph registers 52 mph on radar.

He mentioned that all the officers radar guns, in this area anyway, are calibrated 2 mph in the civilians favor. So it reads 2 mph slow. So one can conclude that obviously the speed is incrementally worse in error the faster you go. So at my 189 mph blast I was in actuality doing 165-169 mph?? Something in that area.

What have you other guys done to remedy the speedometer error? Speedo healer? What is all involved?

Here's a pic of the setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is the speedohealer an external lcd panel that gives you a new MPH? How does it work? Any links to sites with photos that sell them?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts