Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was sitting on the toilet today thinking about 17/41 gearing. Anyone running this combo with a stock chain?? I know most of my old bikes i've been able to go up +2 in the rear with no chain length problems. Just want to be sure before I order one. And yes, i've used the search function to no avail :thefinger

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Eric_The_Jew said:
So, I was sitting on the toilet today thinking about 17/41 gearing. Anyone running this combo with a stock chain?? I know most of my old bikes i've been able to go up +2 in the rear with no chain length problems. Just want to be sure before I order one. And yes, i've used the search function to no avail :thefinger
Eric it would depend on the condition of the chain, i.e. is it stretched out some or near new?? if its near new then no 17/41 won't work with it. Honestly you'd be better off purchasing a new 112L chain for this combo.

BD

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'm running 17/41 and like it a lot, but you'll have to add at least 2 links to the chain, as BD mentioned. I added 4 links to get some extra length on the swingarm.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I have 17/40 and 17/42 gears that I swap back and forth between. I use the 17/40 when doing roll on races through the top end. I used the 17/42 for all around hooliganism. 17/41 would probably be a good comprimice for my riding style. I did add two links to the chain. Also I'm running a 180/55 rear. The taller profile raises the overall gearing.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I put 16f and tried to get a 41 on the rear and the stock chain was too short. Bought a x-ring d.i.d.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Ground Zero said:
I have tried all of the gearing combos from 16/41 through 17/39. Currently I have settled on the 17/40. For us light weights (~160) on modded 10's, I have found that this combo gives me the best pull through the gears.
Good point. I'm 200lbs. and riding a 190/60 tire which is quite a bit taller than the 190/50. If you're lighter and riding a shorter tire, you'll probably be happier with the 17/40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts