Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was curious how hard it was to install this front sprocket (16T)? Is this a DIY or is this better to bring to the dealer for a swap?

I am OK at installing things, but mostly cosmetic things is what I do :)

Thanks,
Rich

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Installing the new sprocket is easy, getting the old one off is a B.
I had to get a machanic buddy with an air ratchet to help get it off. Once its loosened its all a piece of cake after that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Andy said:
I had to get a machanic buddy with an air ratchet to help get it off. Once its loosened its all a piece of cake after that.
Hate to be specific, but an impact gun is what you need, not an air ratchet.
An air ratchet will not work to remove a countershaft nut, so don't ask your mechanic buddy using that terminology. I am sure that was what Andy meant anyway. :?

·
Registered
202 Posts
you gonna put the bike in the first gear (if you are alone and there is nobody to help you but ı dont recommend this method you can damage your transmission, you better have somebody else sitting on the bike and applying rear break.)

take the wrench (ı dont remember the size though) stick on it firmly and hit the wrench with a hammer (at least 500gr) to creat an impact effect.
dont try to do it like you are taking off a tire nut. just keep hitting with the hammer. after a couple of hits you will see it.

ıt will loosen. thats the only way with the conventional tools. if you have professional tools like an impact gun it is much more easier.

but dont forget the apply rear break firmly.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just got my 16T last week. I tried to get the stock one off and I had to give up or risk scratching the hell out of my frame. The nut is a 27mm nut (HUGE) and you will need a deep socket to reach in there. You will also need a big socket wrench. Its not obvious if it comes off counterclockwise or not, but it is counterclockwise.

I am not sure what the bent washer is that keeps being mentioned.

I need to get out to the store to get a deep 27mm socket and then I will try again.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
a shortish extension can be used as well, perhaps 2".

There is a washer(per the parts diagram) that fits underneath the 27mm nut and once the nut is torqued to spec you will need to bend a portion of the washer over the flat part of the nut to aid in not letting the nut backoff.

BD

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andy said:
I have air tools & lots of other tools (I am a little dangerous with them is all).

What steps are involved?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im still confused.

Do you need to remove the fairings? I have an impact gun (IR!!). I have not a clue at all on what I should be doing.

Can someone put some pics up on what to do?

A complete idiots guide would be great!

You might earn yourself a hall of fame star in the "tech" section :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Countershaft Sprocket Install

RichTJ99 said:
Im still confused.

Do you need to remove the fairings? I have an impact gun (IR!!). I have not a clue at all on what I should be doing.

Rich - here's my 10 easy steps to a new and better you with a 16t sprocket...

1. Remove the countershaft sprocket cover and sensor. Be careful removing the cover so not to scratch the frame. Keep track of the washers on the bolts.
2. I removed my lower fairing just to be on the safe side - stuff can get scratched when Murphy's Law is applied.
3. Remove the countershaft sprocket with a deep socket/extension/breaker bar. Remember to flatten the bent washer retaining the countershaft nut. The nut comes off counterclockwise, and is a real bitch to loosen. I put the bike in gear, had a fat friend sit on the bike and apply both brakes while I cranked the breaker bar. It came loose right as I hurniated...8^). Remove the nut and washer.
4. Loosen the rear wheel and give the chain enough slack to make removing/installing the sprocket easier.
5. Pull the sprocket off and make sure the chain doesn't hit the frame too hard to scratch it.
6. Put the new sprocket on by slipping the chain over it and then sliding the sprocket onto the shaft.
7. Install the washer (you can reuse the old one if it's not to gnarly from removing it the first time!) and then torque the nut down (use same fat guy and apply gear and brakes) - I used the same torque as required for the rear wheel axle nut...85-90 in-lbs. Fold the washer to one side of the nut using care with a screwdriver or a pair of channel locks.
8. Adjust the chain tension according to the manual (35-45mm play) and torque the rear wheel adjustment nuts and axle nut accordingly. I have a Motion Pro alignment tool and it is the bomb for ensuring proper chain alignment.
9. Install sprocket cover, sensor, and fairing.
10. Ride wheelies and accellerate away from all your jealous R1 owner friends.

Hey - I hope this helps. There's probably a milliion other ways to do it - but this worked for me. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: Countershaft Sprocket Install

zxpilot said:
RichTJ99 said:
Im still confused.

Rich - here's my 10 easy steps to a new and better you with a 16t sprocket...

1. Remove the countershaft sprocket cover and sensor. Be careful removing the cover so not to scratch the frame. Keep track of the washers on the bolts.
2. I removed my lower fairing just to be on the safe side - stuff can get scratched when Murphy's Law is applied.
3. Remove the countershaft sprocket with a deep socket/extension/breaker bar. Remember to flatten the bent washer retaining the countershaft nut. The nut comes off counterclockwise, and is a real bitch to loosen. I put the bike in gear, had a fat friend sit on the bike and apply both brakes while I cranked the breaker bar. It came loose right as I hurniated...8^). Remove the nut and washer.
4. Loosen the rear wheel and give the chain enough slack to make removing/installing the sprocket easier.
5. Pull the sprocket off and make sure the chain doesn't hit the frame too hard to scratch it.
6. Put the new sprocket on by slipping the chain over it and then sliding the sprocket onto the shaft.
7. Install the washer (you can reuse the old one if it's not to gnarly from removing it the first time!) and then torque the nut down (use same fat guy and apply gear and brakes) - I used the same torque as required for the rear wheel axle nut...85-90 in-lbs. Fold the washer to one side of the nut using care with a screwdriver or a pair of channel locks.
8. Adjust the chain tension according to the manual (35-45mm play) and torque the rear wheel adjustment nuts and axle nut accordingly. I have a Motion Pro alignment tool and it is the bomb for ensuring proper chain alignment.
9. Install sprocket cover, sensor, and fairing.
10. Ride wheelies and accellerate away from all your jealous R1 owner friends.

Hey - I hope this helps. There's probably a milliion other ways to do it - but this worked for me. Good luck! :D

going to ask a stupid one what does putting this 16t sprocket on the bike do for the bike does it make it faster slower pull wheelies what ????? thinking im not going to change that shit yet lol need to get the training wheels off the bike lol then worry about that stuff

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
maybe I just like doing things the easy way, but... isn't all of this in the service manual?? And isn't said service manual available in PDF, and the links posted somewhere on this site?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
RichTJ99 said:
Hi,

I was curious how hard it was to install this front sprocket (16T)? Is this a DIY or is this better to bring to the dealer for a swap?

I am OK at installing things, but mostly cosmetic things is what I do :)

Thanks,
Rich
Download the PDF in Tech section bud. It'll show you how to do it. Maybe with pictures. It's not techinical at all. If you can change a tire you can change this.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
anything is possible as long as you have the tools to do it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts