Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy I road with tonight (and a lurker here I believe), says he dyno'd at 167 with a Akra slip on and custom map. I say DAMNNNNNNN. Ran him a two weeks ago, same gearing, him a good 25 lbs lighter, he had me on top end but very close through the gears. I question the correction factor. seams very high numbers. Aren't most people with a slip ons seeing mid to high 150's?

BTW- very nice boobies viewed tonight. God I love strippers!!!

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
was the stripper ever on your bike?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
That seems high for a slip-on. My 10 with s/o is at 157 with bmc street but don't know if you can compare that because your friends got a custom map. Wonder if he was running race fuel with his dyno. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I seriously doubt he got those numbers. My full system gave my bike 162 using STD correction. That 162 is 157 using SAE correction. SAE is what you want to use.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SP8- he wasn't sure of the correction. Still very high numbers. The dyno may be set up to give high numbers to get people in the door. Who knows? I think he said he got 10 hp's just with the map. He started with an Ivan map.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
That brings up a good point...I have a standard downloaded map on my PC III and wonder if spend the money for a custom map is worth the money? Anyone experience this and is there a noticable difference in performance that justifies the expense?

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He also said (if memory serves) that they tuned for a way lean A/F. Might be some hp in that, but danger to the engine.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Older Guy said:
That brings up a good point...I have a standard downloaded map on my PC III and wonder if spend the money for a custom map is worth the money? Anyone experience this and is there a noticable difference in performance that justifies the expense?
what pipe do you have, depending on where you look you can find free maps by tuners out there. i got mine from dan kyle for my arata full system. yes, it was worth loading the map, less bottom end,rougher idle, but WAY better past 7 grand...

look around, our guys here have a bunch of different pipes and i know i shared...

·
Registered
333 Posts
As far as the high hp reading that your friend got (167hp)....

Here's the deal....dynojet model 250 reads 7% higher on the same correction factor than their older models... (150, 200 etc...)

My dyno is a model 200... my readings are lower than the other guy who is in the county who has a model 250.

What is most important is that you look at the differences of before and after on the same day... Base runs done on a different day are most often inaccurate.

Ivan

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
so which one is the best one?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
stunnerific_harry said:
so which one is the best one?
If your refering to dynos, the 250 is a load control dyno. It also has the capabilty to use tuning link software. Tuning link software will take a bad dyno operator out of the equation. The 250 is the superior model IMO.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
thanks

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ivan said:
As far as the high hp reading that your friend got (167hp)....

Here's the deal....dynojet model 250 reads 7% higher on the same correction factor than their older models... (150, 200 etc...)

My dyno is a model 200... my readings are lower than the other guy who is in the county who has a model 250.

What is most important is that you look at the differences of before and after on the same day... Base runs done on a different day are most often inaccurate.

Ivan
Ivan, +7% would certainly explain the number varience. His custom map was done with your TRE installed and the throttle position sensor advanced. I hope to get a copy of his map to compare it yours. What are your thoughts on removing the secondary butterflies???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah sure he gained 100 HP in noise. Most slip on's lose HP unless everything else is tuned for it. It is a involved process to do it right and the gain in most cases isn't worth it. Go for a full system or leave it alone.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Eddyo said:
Yeah sure he gained 100 HP in noise. Most slip on's lose HP unless everything else is tuned for it. It is a involved process to do it right and the gain in most cases isn't worth it. Go for a full system or leave it alone.
allow me to retort. a slip on properly mapped is more "streetable" than a full system. most gains on the full system side are at the very top of the power curve. very nice for the track not very usable on most street situations. yes purist will opt for the big gain let's be honest what and where are the real riding world applications going to be? i got 155 rear wheel with pcIII akra slip on & air box mod. more to be had still playing with map. still a tad lean popping a bit yet on the down shifts. curve is still nice and smooth

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eddyo said:
Most slip on's lose HP unless everything else is tuned for it.
most riders on this forum that have done pre and post slip on dyno runs have seen a 3-5 hp gain on top and a considerable fattening on the mid range w/o any additional mods. What do you base your statement on?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts