Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had bike dynoed at 167.9 on dyno at local harley full akro evo 2 pc -1 in the front took bike to ron ayers 2 weeks later 520 conv +2 in the rear... horse power was 152.9..... with custom map 157.9... 77.9 ft pounds of torque...what the hell happened... torque was 72 got +5 on hp and torque...what happened... i know that its been hot but thats a big h.p. loss somebody please tell me what goin on... is something wrong with the bike..or did i get a lemon... i love my bike but this makes no sense

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Can't compare two different dynos. Can't even compare the same dyno unless the runs are within an hour or so. The amount of hp the dyno shows isn't important. What is important is that you gained 5 hp and lb-ft with the new map.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Yep, can't go by many dyno machines, but just the same one with changes to the bike at almost the same time same conditions to get real results. I had a guy that said the dealer dyno gave him 140hp on his zx9 and mine only did 131 on the same dyno, but have vids showing me pull easy and passing against him when we did roll-ons or raced. Don't trust dyno's and #s just changes on the same one from mod to mod with the same conditions.

·
Registered
311 Posts
never have two dynos with exactly the same numbers it'll never happen.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok... so are dynos really off that much... possibly it was because it was first done at the harley shop??

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
black10r_n_nc said:
ok... so are dynos really off that much... possibly it was because it was first done at the harley shop??

no...but you could of been spinning the tire on the other dyno
Do you have a chart to post of that pull? the low one?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not yet .. going to post it as soon as i pick up the bike from ron ayers

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes they can be that different. Had a guy call me after I dyno'd his ZX12 asking what I had done to it ( we just did a power run) coz he just went down to another shop after leaving mine and got 11 more h.p. Were they both dynojet 250 model dyno's? Or was one a Dynojet and the other a different brand? That's where you'll see the biggest differences. But like was said, the "numbers" mean Jack.........It's the gains on the same dyno for the mod you've done is what is important.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so basicially i should be happy that i got the +5 h.p. and torque.....

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Harley dealer dynos run artificially high so all the Billy Badasses don't feel like they bought slow, weak, ugly bikes. Well, dyno's don't help w/ ugly.

·
Registered
477 Posts
bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha. although very funny, hardly true. (yeah, I'm Capt. Obvious).

Yes you should be wrapped withthat, and regardless of what your heart says about the dyno, you should feel it on your sop dyno to no end. It should fly now, compared to when it had more h.p. If that makes sense. lol

·
Registered
900 Posts
Don't sweat the difference. Different dynos will yield different numbers. As others have mentioned, it is the gains achieved on the same dyno that matter. I have had several maps done at Ron Ayers over the past year as I have made changes to my bike. FWIW I had a base line of 141 hp with a Muzzy slip on and the Muzzy MAP. After Tim did the custom I ran 146hp. That was at 1000 miles. At 1500 miles (last summer) I had a custom MAP done after installing a full system/BMC...158hp. At around 4000 miles (good and broken in) I had him fine tune the MAP and ended up with around 165. Same dyno, same tuner. I have heard that the Dyno at Ron Ayers reads on the conservative side. All I can tell you is that the bike runs like a bat out of hell. I guess what I am trying to say is don't worry about it. If the bike runs well, which I am sure it does, just enjoy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I had my bike mapped with bmc street, velocity stacks, muzzy Ti s/o, 16/41 gearing. Baseline was 150, cutom mapped was 155. 4 months later I put a f/s on and dynoed .04 more hp and lost 3 lb-ft torque. Same tuner, same dyno, but old map from the s/o and different conditions. It is rich from 6k to redline with the f/s. I will get another custom map when I do the head gasket and degree the cams. Also make sure the chain is adjusted and lubed.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've seen a dry chain rob 5 horse on a dyno.. Made a pull it was like 198 and then sprayed the chain made a puill and it was 203.
whats funny is that there are several small things one can do to add up to 10-12 horse.. that can be the difference between losing and winning :cool:

·
Registered
477 Posts
well, even doing nothing to the bike, with the first stock runs, from run 1 to run 5 you can have a 3-5h.p difference. The point is, you should keep doing runs til you get consistant results. So say run 1 is 146, run 2 is 148 run 3 is 150, (with no changes to the bike at all) then run 4 and 5 are 150 too, that's what you use as the figure. Not the 146, coz it shows bigger gains.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts