Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
If it makes you feel any better it's 7hp more than a Gen 1 I rebuilt at 158hp :dontknow:

just messing with you TDH it's just a Number means nothing how does she run?

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
It's got more than I know what to do with. I have to manage the throttle pretty much everywhere on the track to keep the front down. :)
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Only 9 more horses than my big slow gen2
Definitely a low reading dyno. I think tdh knows it's just a number lol.

·
Formerly "bms"
416 Posts
To answer the questions it's a 2014, SBU ECU flash, full Bazzaz, full Graves and block-off plates.
Wonder if its SBU ECU thats causing it down on power because I know they're mainly Yamaha. I was lucky enough to get the Archer flash before he quit doing it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I didn't know he quit. To be honest the only way that number would be meaningful is to have run it on the same dyno before each mod to see what change I got. I more or less just ran it for my own amusement. I don't think the bike is down on power, I think that's just what that dyno reads its power at. An R6 went on right behind me and was running 100 even. I would have thought that would have been a little higher too. There was also an H2 there but I couldn't get the owner to put it on the dyno. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Like you said i reckon its just the dyno.

The R6 should have been around 115hp off my head. So lets say its off by the same margin that makes yours around 184.5 which is 1hp less than mine had last week with essentially same mods.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Like you said i reckon its just the dyno.

The R6 should have been around 115hp off my head. So lets say its off by the same margin that makes yours around 184.5 which is 1hp less than mine had last week with essentially same mods.
Or, if the R6 should have been 115, that would make the dyno about 13.1% low which would make mine around 190.9HP if it was also reading 13.1% low. :) But the question is what's the "right number"? I don't think that's actually an important question though. The real question is what is the % of change from one run to another after making a change in the exact same conditions. A number from a single run on a dyno is fairly meaningless. The important thing for me is translating it into larger size trophies and to be honest a higher number doesn't necessarily translate to larger trophies. There is one track that I am just as fast at on my old beat up ZX6R (small tight track). :) But again, knowing that a single run doesn't really mean much it was just for amusement. It was a bit like swinging the hammer at the fair and trying to ring the bell.

·
Registered
355 Posts
A lot of people get caught up in dyno numbers without really understanding the different variables and how readily they can be manipulated. I'm not suggesting that the OP doesn't get it, I think he understands perfectly what dynamometer is used for. I'd imagine that the engine pulled clean to the redline, a/f ratio was where it was supposed to be, no blue smoke out the exhaust, etc.

It does sound like a stingy dyno if a late model R6 is only putting down 100hp, but you could always run it on another set of rollers just to be certain. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about it unless I was getting smoked on starts or in long straights.

My bike has a Guhl flash, block offs and a slip-on. Depending on which dyno it's put on, and the weather conditions, it has put down between 171-185hp to the tire, so the numbers can be all over the place. My bike only goes on the rollers if it's not costing me anything. A couple of local dealers have had free dyno runs at their open house events, otherwise I wouldn't fool with it.

Another thing to consider, I've heard that tire selection and pressure both have a major effect on the readout. Supposedly slicks and anything less than maximum pressure (regardless of slick versus street) eat up a lot of power. Was the bike dyno'd with a track tire? What was the pressure? I'm just speculating here, I'm not an expert by any means.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just thought of another idea...

Next time you're going to put the bike on the dyno, see if you can find a local rider with similar mods to yours and see what that bike puts down. It seems like weather has a lot to do with the readings. Things like air density ("DA" to drag racers) along with temp and humidity aren't usually mentioned when people throw around dyno numbers.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another thing to consider, I've heard that tire selection and pressure both have a major effect on the readout. Supposedly slicks and anything less than maximum pressure (regardless of slick versus street) eat up a lot of power. Was the bike dyno'd with a track tire? What was the pressure? I'm just speculating here, I'm not an expert by any means.
Holy crap! Didn't think about that, and that could very well be where a few HP were lost! It's a duh moment now that I think about it. :) Yeah, race slicks, cold, right out of the trailer. Probably around 21 psi. Son of a.... :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Holy crap! Didn't think about that, and that could very well be where a few HP were lost! It's a duh moment now that I think about it. :) Yeah, race slicks, cold, right out of the trailer. Probably around 21 psi. Son of a.... :)
Yeah I saw the signature picture with the race plastics, yellow number plates, thought :idea: "dude probably runs a big ol' 190/60 slick with 20lbs of air in it" I feel kinda smart now! :crackup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts