Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i finally did the 16 tooth mod and put a k & N air filter on my 2006 and you guys were right, now the bike has some serious bottom end. I haven't ridden much since i did it so i can't give a great comparison as of yet. But i do notice quite a difference in how the bike accelerates. I am very pleased.

If you guys read my roll-on story with the 2006 gsx-r you will know why i did the mod. My buddies bike jumped me and i couldn't catch him. I was totally pissed off. I am waiting to race again, i think its going to be a different outcome.

This winter i want to get a full race akrapovic system with power commander and TRE. But money isn't plentiful all the time.

Thanks for the advice to go with this sprocket.

Oh yeah, and for anyone that has ever tried to get the nut off the counter sprocket on this bike will know how fun that was. It might as well have been welded on, my buddy and i tried for an hour with a decent impact and finally a 3 foot snipe and strong arm broke it loose.

I guess i need a speedo healer now, does anyone know where to get one, how hard is it to install and how much one costs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Older Guy said:
Check the sponsors...

15 minute installation....

It's a snap...
:+1:

BUT if you decide to re-route the SpeedoHealer cable once you've already snapped the white connectors on the SpeedoHealer cable to the black connectors on the bike (this will make sense when you do the install), and you need to disconnect the connectors to do the re-route, be very careful to pull only on the plastic connector body and not at all on the wires leading into the connector. Those wires can slide out of the connector body with unexpected ease, and the delicate nature of the female ends by which they attach to the connector body makes it nearly impossible to repair such a problem! If you can't fix this problem without damaging the delicate female ends (I couldn't), you have to buy a new cable. :eyecrazy:

I hope this helps you avoid my $40 mistake! :headshake

GD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
modpup said:
well i finally did the 16 tooth mod and put a k & N air filter on my 2006 and you guys were right, now the bike has some serious bottom end. I haven't ridden much since i did it so i can't give a great comparison as of yet. But i do notice quite a difference in how the bike accelerates. I am very pleased.

If you guys read my roll-on story with the 2006 gsx-r you will know why i did the mod. My buddies bike jumped me and i couldn't catch him. I was totally pissed off. I am waiting to race again, i think its going to be a different outcome.

This winter i want to get a full race akrapovic system with power commander and TRE. But money isn't plentiful all the time.

Thanks for the advice to go with this sprocket.

Oh yeah, and for anyone that has ever tried to get the nut off the counter sprocket on this bike will know how fun that was. It might as well have been welded on, my buddy and i tried for an hour with a decent impact and finally a 3 foot snipe and strong arm broke it loose.

I guess i need a speedo healer now, does anyone know where to get one, how hard is it to install and how much one costs?
Speedohealer - Cal-Sportbike is the US importer (and a site sponsor, so deal with them through this site), their website page for the SH is: http://www.calsportbike.com/sh , and Speedohealer's website is: http://www.speedohealer.com . You want or will need to order the universal kit, lists for $90, and search here for posts by me and sewman for some how-to instructions.

TRE - I say do it now, it's cheap (TRE-009, $60, http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm ) and for the 06 most have found it does make a diff down low. Again, if you are going to do it, search here for 06 TRE install instructions, there are some things to watch out for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
ctjackster said:
TRE - I say do it now, it's cheap (TRE-009, $60, http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm ) and for the 06 most have found it does make a diff down low. Again, if you are going to do it, search here for 06 TRE install instructions, there are some things to watch out for.
You may want to find out in advance whether you need a Power Commander to properly use a TRE on the '06. Again, I found out the hard way (so many personal failings revealed in this little thread . . . :headshake ) that the TRE for the '04-'05 also requires (I heard this from Ivan's mouth) use of a Power Commander to correct low-rpm fuelling issues brought on by the TRE. Ivan's website doesn't mention this issue re: any of the ZX-10R TREs, but only the Suzuki TREs are described as "smart" and not requiring any fuel injection moods to work properly, so the '06 likely needs a Power Commander . . . :dontknow: Maybe a call to Ivan is in order before your order is in.

I thought the TRE mod wouold be a nice, low-cost mod for my '05, but finding out after I had the TRE in hand that I needed to spend several hundred dollars to make it work right didn't exactly sweeten the deal.

Forewarned is forearmed! :thumbsup:

GD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Green Dude said:
You may want to find out in advance whether you need a Power Commander to properly use a TRE on the '06. Again, I found out the hard way (so many personal failings revealed in this little thread . . . :headshake ) that the TRE for the '04-'05 also requires (I heard this from Ivan's mouth) use of a Power Commander to correct low-rpm fuelling issues brought on by the TRE. Ivan's website doesn't mention this issue re: any of the ZX-10R TREs, but only the Suzuki TREs are described as "smart" and not requiring any fuel injection moods to work properly, so the '06 likely needs a Power Commander . . . :dontknow: Maybe a call to Ivan is in order before your order is in.

I thought the TRE mod wouold be a nice, low-cost mod for my '05, but finding out after I had the TRE in hand that I needed to spend several hundred dollars to make it work right didn't exactly sweeten the deal.

Forewarned is forearmed! :thumbsup:

GD
NO POWERCOMMANDER REQUIRED FOR TRE ON THE 06 ZX10, per Ivan's own posts . . . it's a different animal than the 04-05 TRE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
you dont need a power commander for the TRE mod on the 06 i have it and you should get it. it does make a very noticible difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
whats the tre mod, im new to the zx 10 world i just bought a new 06r1 but i might be changing to a 07 10r in blue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
modpup said:
well i finally did the 16 tooth mod and put a k & N air filter on my 2006 and you guys were right, now the bike has some serious bottom end. I haven't ridden much since i did it so i can't give a great comparison as of yet. But i do notice quite a difference in how the bike accelerates. I am very pleased.

If you guys read my roll-on story with the 2006 gsx-r you will know why i did the mod. My buddies bike jumped me and i couldn't catch him. I was totally pissed off. I am waiting to race again, i think its going to be a different outcome.

Well the night finally arrived, my buddy and i had it out again. His bike has ivan's TRE and a yosh slipon. We did about 10 roll on's in 2nd gear at 7000 rpm. Whoever got the jump stayed in front. It was so dead even. I think out of the races we had one really fair start and we were so close it would have been a photo finish to see who actually was ahead. I am very pleased with the 16 tooth sprocket. It made a world of difference. My bike was always super fun to ride but now with more bottom end grunt i seem to be smiling more. Just thought i would share my experience with you guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Good to hear another 16T mod worked well for you. Time to change out to full exhaust, pcIII and whatever mod you may need like maybe a +1 out back and a TRE. I like the 16T. It's good for twisty stuff and stop and go traffic. I hope you got a speedohealer to make sure your speedo was accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
I have had the same problem with people getting the jump on me. But I am 260 and most of the guys are around 200.lol I think the trick to the ten is start that roll on race in 1st. Gets them every time.lol if I am going 60 to about 80 I’m dropping the sucker in first if you can keep the front down it kicks the crap out of them. The gixxers have more low-end punch. But the run out of steam it seems like the higher in the speed you get. But I have also noticed alot of the guys I race dont tuck very well so that might be some of it too.
 

·
Squid
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
Good to hear another 16T mod worked well for you. Time to change out to full exhaust, pcIII and whatever mod you may need like maybe a +1 out back and a TRE. I like the 16T. It's good for twisty stuff and stop and go traffic. I hope you got a speedohealer to make sure your speedo was accurate.
how far off does your speedo get in mph with the 16t sprocket?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I have the full Akra. on my 06'. Its pretty badass
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top