Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2008 ZX-10. I noticed when I put a 16 tooth front sprocket on, first gear was much improved for acceleration compared to the way the bike comes stock with tall first gear however when running 2nd thru 6th gear the horsepower feels flat now as if it does not pull as hard anymore.

With the close gear ratios between 2nd and 6th stock, maybe the bike already had best gearing before I changed front sprocket to a 16 tooth for
2nd thru 6th???

Anyone else have any input or experience the same thing?

I have been racing for years and feel that I have a pretty accurate seat of the pants gauge when it comes to speed and horsepower.

Could I be running out of fuel not having it re-mapped which could be causing horsepower loss?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
What RPM's are you shifting at? I don't have that problem but then again I shift at like 9k RPM's on normal riding and 12k when riding hard.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
you know...I JUST did the same mod and felt the same effect as you are describing. The problem is, I also did a BMC filter and removed the flies, so I wasnt sure what caused the effect.

Its not just the seat of the pants feel either, I am now getting beat up top by my brothers 05 R1:headshake

I was thinking it was because of the filter and flies and that I needed to remap...(and it did need remapping), but after riding with him again today, my 08 ZX10R is the same speed as a stock 05 R1.... something is wrong with this picture :headshake:headshake

I think Im putting the stock sprocket back on

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah, I love how first gear feels but don't like giving up so much after that. When I race on the street it is usually from a roll so I want to go back to the 17 tooth front sprocket on my new 520 kit I just ordered. Love the looks of the new EK green chain with black cat 5 rear sprocket.
To answer the other post question, I am shifting at red line 2nd thru 6th noticing that the gearing is too high and motor not pulling as hard anymore. Around town I like the 16 tooth sprocket but don't like getting my ass whipped either when it is time to throw down from a 70 mph roll to 170 ish...against the GSXR's.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I am putting my stock 17T back on this week and will try again. The only thing I like is the 2nd gear power wheelies with the 16T... but my overall acceleration sucks and my RPM's are way too high on high speed runs, even in 6th

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
But then again I have the 1st gen so I don't have that problem! =X

jk, Not sure about the flatness you are referring to. I will put the stock sprocket on my other 10 and see if there's a difference.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I'm -1/+2 and haven't looked back. Pulls strong from 1st all the way to 6th.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm -1/+2 and haven't looked back. Pulls strong from 1st all the way to 6th.
It's a decieving feeling. It feels stronger and even wheelies easier, but I think its going slower. i used to SMOKE my brother on his old R1, and now I can hardly pull away...actually I CANT pull away:dontknow: My only hope is the jump I get when we first start, but then he is right there if not pulling on me.

I also dont like the fact that my bike is always screaming even in 6th on the highway. I pulling over for gas way more often too.

17T going back on tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It's a decieving feeling. It feels stronger and even wheelies easier, but I think its going slower. i used to SMOKE my brother on his old R1, and now I can hardly pull away...actually I CANT pull away:dontknow: My only hope is the jump I get when we first start, but then he is right there if not pulling on me.

I also dont like the fact that my bike is always screaming even in 6th on the highway. I pulling over for gas way more often too.

17T going back on tomorrow.
It's definitely not a deceiving feeling for me. Mine use to bog down in the lower rpms.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It's definitely not a deceiving feeling for me. Mine use to bog down in the lower rpms.
hmmm, maybe its just the set up I have or the combo of parts on my 08.... but its definetly not working for my set up, It accelerates faster with the 17T. I will try it again this week and post the results by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The difference was night and day for me. Woke the bike up. I'm sure others will chime in as I think around 90% have at least -1.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I cant explain it either
a larger front sprocket requires more force to spin which makes the acceleration slower? are you sure your getting on the throttle as hard as you do at 17?

and what are you racing from and to? keep in mind yo cutting down your top speed

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
Ok well first off this is for 3RD gen riders only so peaple with 1st/2ng gens prob are not affected. I can garuntee your flat spot it at 7000-8000 correct? This happened to me after pipe/flie removal and break in i didnt notice it when i did my 16t (before other mods). Every stock pull i seen of an 08 has a massive dip in torque at that rpm range and mapping gets rid of it, so ive seen. I still need a PC and map but when funds allow i will tune and see.

My 16t on my 05 and every other gen does not slow it down so i can tell you that is not the problem. This is just my opinion and experience. Other than that my low end is great and top end feels comparable to my 05 w/ more mods.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ok well first off this is for 3RD gen riders only so peaple with 1st/2ng gens prob are not affected. I can garuntee your flat spot it at 7000-8000 correct? This happened to me after pipe/flie removal and break in i didnt notice it when i did my 16t (before other mods). Every stock pull i seen of an 08 has a massive dip in torque at that rpm range and mapping gets rid of it, so ive seen. I still need a PC and map but when funds allow i will tune and see.

My 16t on my 05 and every other gen does not slow it down so i can tell you that is not the problem. This is just my opinion and experience. Other than that my low end is great and top end feels comparable to my 05 w/ more mods.
well i can understand having a flat spot after doing exhaust and fly removal.

but he was talking about just a change in sprocket correct? which if you have a flat spot in the 7k-8k range with the 16t you should have one in the 6-7k when you go back to the 17t

my point was just that his sprocket change wouldn't create a flat spot just move it around

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
i dont think its based on mph as much as rpm. sprockets dont change your rpm. Also i mentioned my dip seemed more noticable after break in, or maybe its in my head i dont know. But it is there and dropping a tooth will give you more acceleration not less, right? :lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
There be some crazy talk in here. Gearing down will make the bike accelerate quicker, unless you can't keep the front end down.

I'm -1 +2, it's definitely not slower.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
wow

Ok, first thing I'm going to say what the hell is a freaking flat spot? Please explain? Cause I'm sorry to say my 09 zx10r has no freaking flat spot any where and I'm geared right now at 16/41, and I have 15/16/17/18 and 39/40/41/42 sprockets all for my 520 chain and I do change gearing a lot. I could understand lag maybe if you geared it out for a top end run with 18/39 pushing for 190mph+ but with a 16/41 combo for gearing thats a 2.52 ratio which is a great setup. Its truthfully what honda uses either 16/41 or 16/42 and thats one reason why there also so known for mid-range cause gearing has a big part in it. But regardless some people in here saying there dropping 3 teeth and going with a 16 and stating you have a flat spot of some kind are crazy. But to finsh this off I can tell you I raced two 08 zx10r's with stock gearing and a couple little mods vs. me over the weekend and I didnt lose once and for one had to own it to my gearing that day which was 16/42, cause it was helping me get the jump every time. But oh well if you guys think your 16 isnt doing it drop to a 15/42 setup and tell me how the front wheel never touchs the ground and how its almost insane running threw the rpms:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
I cant explain it either
Just a guess but one of the sensors the ECU uses to determine how much fuel to inject is the "speed sensor". After you put the 16 tooth on, the bike thinks its going a lot faster (MPH) than it really is, but your getting the fueling for that higher MPH than you are actually going, making the map rich.

Rich map = flat feeling.

If your map was slightly rich before, putting on 16 tooth might make it even richer.

I have always made the suggestion that altering gearing alters the fuel map, but I have no actual data to back it up. So I can't say for certain.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts