Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
have you changed spark plugs oil and filter maybe antifreeze check brake pads clean or replace air filter check valves make sure to change spark plugs if you have not yet should have already at 8000 miles thats all i can think of right now

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you changed spark plugs oil and filter maybe antifreeze check brake pads clean or replace air filter check valves make sure to change spark plugs if you have not yet should have already at 8000 miles thats all i can think of right now
i bought the with 10,000 a couple months ago so im not sure what maintenance has been done, what kind of plugs should i be running and are they easy to get to

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
i bought the with 10,000 a couple months ago so im not sure what maintenance has been done, what kind of plugs should i be running and are they easy to get to

In a word- NO. But the maintenance you do to her will be worth it. I would do the whole shebang, valve adjustment, plugs, air filter, coolant change and flush, oil change, and brake fluid change. It will also give you the chance to check places you don't normally see and tighten bolts that may be loose. Dont forget to at least gasket seal your valve cover before you button her back up or you may get a leak and that requires it be torn back down again. I did mine that way at 15K and she pulls like new now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just did all this at 11k because my valve cover gasket was leaking, i bought all new shit, did it myself, when everything comes off its time consuming, take you time all the bolts come right off. i replaced the coolant, cleaned the radiator, cleaned the chain and sprockets, valve cover gasket and spark plug gaskets, i used some black sealant to make sure it would'nt leak, tighten headers, cleaned the dust off the motor, replaced the plugs, and air filter, the valves were fine. You may need an extra hand taking off the tank.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
is valve adjustment something you can do yourself or is that a shop only job?
There is a how-to on this site and the maintenance manual explains how to do it as well. However, unless you have a shim kit it would be best to have a trusted shop do the valve check and adjustment if necessary. I did everything but the actual adjustment since I dont have the kit myself. I trailered my bike to my buddy who runs a local shop and he did the valve check but I didn't need anything so I just buttoned her back up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
you should run ngk CR9EIA-9 stock plugs not hard to change if you have some skills at working on these you have to pull the right motor mount to get to #4 plug that is the hardest part to do besides that not to bad

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
check:

plugs
filters
coolant
valves
chain
sprockets
brake pads/fluid
rotors

more I am forgetting? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Curious how much my local shop charges to do this, I am usually the type that likes to wrench on my stuff so I know it gets done right but something about the thought of adjusting the valves makes me uncomfortable. I may call tomarrow just to see how much they charge to give me an idea. I have the service manual and all the right tools so if it's to expensive I'll do it myself when the time comes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The first time I changed the plugs on my 06 I went by the manual and pulled of all the parts it suggested to get to the plugs. The 2nd time I just pulled the tank and airbox and to my surprise got the job done in 1/2 the time and work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts