Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 ZX-10r. So far I have added the pcIII, removed the secondary butterflies, tre, race air filter, bypassed the crankcase breather, removed exhaust behind the cat and added just a 6 in piece of pipe to curve the exhaust down, and put in a 2 step launch box. I am trying to build a bike that is very streetable but will run some what competitively at the track. I am in the process of changing the first gear in my bike to a lower one, bypassing the smog controls, and ordering a wheelie bar drag slicks and new rear sprocket(not sure what yet any suggestions for 1/8 mi) My question thought is I am thinking about installing a new piston kit in my bike. The factory compression is supposedly 12.7:1. The kit I am wanting to put in is 13.5:1. I was wondering if anyone has done or know of anyone who has done this mod. The tech guys told me that I can still run 93 octane and can expect at least 8 more HP. The questions they didn't answer were if it creates hot spots on the cylinder walls or the head and if it will slow how fast my motor revs or if it will change how hard I can turn it(red line 13k). Also i know that Kawasaki added counter balances on the crank in 06-07 to make the bike more controllable for novice riders. I was wondering how the removal of the counter balances affects the bike, where I can buy a kit for that, and if other people recommend it(tech guys at schnitz didn't) I would really appreciate any info you guys can give me.

· Registered
90 Posts
kawasaki did not add counter balancers to the crank for 06-07 they just made the crank 2.2 lbs heavier. 13.5:1 compression is fine on pump gas. you can install kawasakis kit thin head gasket .45 and you would be right around 13.5:1. i have thin head gaskets on my 2004 zx10r, and a thin gasket and shaved head on my 2006 zx10r, which is around 13.9:1 and i run 93. i have had some problems with 91 octane. best thing to do is to use a colder plug. NGK cr10E or the iridium cr10EIX. as far as the crank APE will lighten and balance your crank for around $220. they did a great job, bike was much more responsive.

· Registered
2,659 Posts
FIRST you need to put a full system to get the max out of your engine, then remap.
Is your piston kit stock bore (76mm)? If yes, you don't need to worry about anything.
A 0.45 gasket will give you some more compression. The next step is to modify your head, and if this is not enough, proceed with overbore pistons/cylinder, crankshaft lightening etc.There is (not always!!) a "logical" order when you are upgrading your engine. You need to think simple and not get confused by all the info.

· Registered
1,200 Posts
if your going to spent d the time to tear the motor down to ro the crank and piston u might as well do a big bore motor other wise i would check sqwush and piston to valve clearance and go for there ( get the head decked and install thin gasket port the head and run some good fuel)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.