Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Pace
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had a bike that sat in the garage until now due to stuff at home. With bike on stand I idle engine while take care of whatever in the front of house. On tender; lead battery. I noticed that tender lights always go into charge after shut down. Today, bike idled longer than usual; while running, on stand, I popped into first and bike stalled. Battery did NOT have enough charge to restart, but tender charged it after awhile and started.

So...Sky and tech guys here, my first thought was that the bike has to be moving or running at 5k rpm to allow the generator to charge the battery; next thought is that the generator is failing; third fear thought is that if conditions improve and can run the loop, the bike have me call the tow guy, again. :)

·
Registered
2011 ZX-10R. Black bikes matter!
65 Posts
Never had a bike that sat in the garage until now due to stuff at home. With bike on stand I idle engine while take care of whatever in the front of house. On tender; lead battery. I noticed that tender lights always go into charge after shut down. Today, bike idled longer than usual; while running, on stand, I popped into first and bike stalled. Battery did NOT have enough charge to restart, but tender charged it after awhile and started.

So...Sky and tech guys here, my first thought was that the bike has to be moving or running at 5k rpm to allow the generator to charge the battery; next thought is that the generator is failing; third fear thought is that if conditions improve and can run the loop, the bike have me call the tow guy, again. :)
According to the service manual section 16-33 (pg. 556), the output of the alternator at low engine speeds does not rise much above battery voltage. As such, the amount of current going into your battery at idle speed is very low.

If the battery was low when you cranked the bike and let it idle for an extended period, it would be very possible to end up on your situation. These bikes run hot as hell at idle and the current draw from all the electronics on the bike plus the cooling fan could easily exceed the charging output.

A weak or bad battery is also a very plausable scenario. Was the battery fully charged prior to the extended idle session? Also, how long was the bike actually idling?

At this point, a charging system inspection would be highly recommended. Fully charge the battery and then test the voltage @ the battery terminals at various engine speeds. You should be seeing 12.5v or more at idle, an increase in voltage as engine speed increases, up to a peak of 14.3-14.7v.

If the bike does not pass the test described above, it is time to break out the service manual and start testing the individual components.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,389 Posts
The starter used more power from the battery than the idle speed could recharge it over that time. Lead acid batteries have a typical life of about 4 years depending on how it's used and maintained. Measure the voltage at the battery terminals at idle and slightly higher. That will tell you if the charging system is working or not. Most likely issue is the battery is old and needs to be replaced.

I'm not an advocate of letting the bike idle periodically just "to let it run". Either start it and ride it, or just let it sit until you can. You do more damage to the engine that way. You also shouldn't let the battery sit on the charger constantly unless it is also has the maintainer feature. That's a quick way to shorten the life of the battery.

Follow the procedure to verify the charging voltage that foxjohn posted and that will answer your questions on it.

Reactions: rcannon

·
The Pace
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx, all. All above info frames this event. Battery history: the shorai acted up early on when doing above about one year ago when this no riding situation began. Corona nonsense closed up Shorai so went to lead and the tickle/charger. So, battery is new, kinda.

At this point, Sky, can't risk riding until the wife regains strength. Curiously, this bike as taught me patience beginning with the 2011, and the first bike to do so; as never had a bike fail. Then the next gen 4, 2013, into the shop, for months at a time. The point is that when the bike went into the shop, I learned patience. Or relearned patience. Now just performing patience with a non shop situation.

My feeling, and I know this is occult odd, is that the bike as no problem with waking and seeing me tending. She's ready.

Life interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts