Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the estimate for a 12,000 mile service on my 07 zx10r. It was $857, I know that they do valve clearance check and throttle body service, however that is a hell of a lot. I really don't want to be dropping that much every 12k (i put that 12k on in less than a year and a half, got the bike May 2008) so you can see how this would be pricey.

Anyway, i was thinking about tackling this myself, and was wondering if someone else had done so. If so, could you give any tips, any input?

Don't want to get in their and screw anything up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
First the valve check is at 15 not 12...so they're really screwing you.

Second do you have tools and are you mechanically inclined ? If you are everything is really easy and the valves are pretty involved BUT we have a few HOWTO's around including on my website on how to do valves. It's cheaper to just go buy all the tools for the job the first time then pay for the service once. You can ask on this board for what you need if you don't have tools...do it yourself.

Damn...I'm saving tons of cash if it costs that much...shit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
First the valve check is at 15 not 12...so they're really screwing you.

Second do you have tools and are you mechanically inclined ? If you are everything is really easy and the valves are pretty involved BUT we have a few HOWTO's around including on my website on how to do valves. It's cheaper to just go buy all the tools for the job the first time then pay for the service once. You can ask on this board for what you need if you don't have tools...do it yourself.

Damn...I'm saving tons of cash if it costs that much...shit.
Yeah, i'm somewhat mechanically inclined, was in engineering school, haha, and actually have done all the work on the bike (other than first service) and my wifes bike. So I know a little bit about whats going on. Plus a friend of mine is a mechanic (not the one who priced it, but another guy) and he could always help for back up.

I figured that buying the tools (which i enjoy) is worth it in the long run, for instance buying a torque wrench, may be pricey up front (didn't get a fancy one though) but saves in the long run.

I'm going to check the manual though and read it over a couple of times and check the how to's. If I can wait till 15k, then i definitely will though. I'll have to check the throttle body synch though, see if thats 12k.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yeah, i'm somewhat mechanically inclined, was in engineering school, haha, and actually have done all the work on the bike (other than first service) and my wifes bike. So I know a little bit about whats going on. Plus a friend of mine is a mechanic (not the one who priced it, but another guy) and he could always help for back up.

I figured that buying the tools (which i enjoy) is worth it in the long run, for instance buying a torque wrench, may be pricey up front (didn't get a fancy one though) but saves in the long run.

I'm going to check the manual though and read it over a couple of times and check the how to's. If I can wait till 15k, then i definitely will though. I'll have to check the throttle body synch though, see if thats 12k.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
I have an '06 and out maintenance intervals are 7.5K. So you're either late or early...if you're early I'd wait and just get prepped toolwise or do the 7500 service. I have a Motion Pro carb synchronizer (the big yellow stick with mercury tubes in it). I think they'll set you back $100. It sounds like you can handle the valves,etc so don't throw cash at the stealership, you'll probably do a better job anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If your bike runs fine leave it alone, if your valves are loud, take it to them to do it, i don't think they need to be done now tho. it is a PITA to do the valves, You need to buy shims, and order them to do the work, you also need to take the cams out, buy all new gaskets, and its a 2 day job, very time consuming that why they get $800 to do the work. its not easy like a car. I am doing all this work right now because my valve cover gasket is starting to leak, Just to do the plugs is a PITA.Can you do the maintenance?? I think you could if you read up on it, mechanics is easy if you take your time and organize everything you take off, and be gentle. If you tackle the job and finish it you'll be more proud of your bike then you are now

·
Registered
531 Posts
I paid $300 for mine 12k... I'd say shop around... if you don't want to do it yourself...

·
Registered
724 Posts
What is te throtle body service about ?? just synchronization ?

Do it yourself man. :wink:
It's just a synchronization...very easy. The only PITA is getting the right screwdriver to hit the screw to adjust the vacuum. Other than that it's easy.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If your bike runs fine leave it alone, if your valves are loud, take it to them to do it, i don't think they need to be done now tho. it is a PITA to do the valves, You need to buy shims, and order them to do the work, you also need to take the cams out, buy all new gaskets, and its a 2 day job, very time consuming that why they get $800 to do the work. its not easy like a car. I am doing all this work right now because my valve cover gasket is starting to leak, Just to do the plugs is a PITA.Can you do the maintenance?? I think you could if you read up on it, mechanics is easy if you take your time and organize everything you take off, and be gentle. If you tackle the job and finish it you'll be more proud of your bike then you are now
If you want to throw money at your local stealership, you have no tools, and you're a mechanical idiot go ahead and take it in. If you want to save hundreds of dollars, have tools or can buy the ones you need, are somewhat mechanically inclined, and want to do a better job than the stealership usually does do it yourself.

The only job that seems overwhelming at first is the valves...the rest is easy. As long as you have the time and patience it's worth every cent to do it yourself. Once you do it successfully there is nothing that you can't do on your bike. Besides...this board is a wealth of knowledge and we can all help people with any questions if the HOWTO's don't cover things.

You'd be stupid to not try...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts