Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 10R vs 2008 14

I recently traded my 2008 10R in and purchased a new (no miles) 2008 14. I only have a little over 300 miles on the new 14, but the following are some impressions I thought you might find interesting.

Manuverability My 10R had snappy, quick manuverability as befits a track bike. My 14 is more like smooth, still a performer though.

Comfort My 10R was, well...functional in this department. My ass started getting numb after about 90 minutes of straight riding. Not a bike I would take on a long journey, but hey, that's just me. My 14, while not a Mercedes, is much more comfortable. Seating angle is not as aggressive and the seat actually has padding. Foot position is also better (for me).

Acceleration My 10R would, after about 7000 rpm, accelerate like a dog with his ass on fire. Excellent power band and wicked top end. Not so much out of the hole, but that was probably due to gearing. My 14, is MUCH better out of the hole and the torque never ends. After about 5000 rpm the handlebars become integral to staying on the bike. It accelerates like said dog with his ass on fire, chasing a bitch in heat. It is awesome.

Braking My 10R had awesome brakes, even with my fat butt on the bike. My 14 has really, really good front brakes. Rears are a little disappointing, although still good.

Engine temperature Was never really an issue with the 10R unless really stuck in traffic or doing a bunch of town riding. The 14 heats up really quick. Really quick. Nothing the fan can't handle so far, but it's made for the road, pure and simple.

Engine noise By this I mean "at speed", like 100+ mph. 10R was much louder than the 14.

Gas mileage No contest. When really behaving on the 10R, 40+ mpg was possible. I did not enjoy the ride though, it was with a bunch of cruisers and we did not exceed 60. :rolleyes: The 14, well she likee the gas. Maybe 30-35 mpg, maybe.

Both bikes are/were factory stock.

That's it for now.

Black Stig

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
08 10 v.s 08 14?

I here the handling on the 14 is very good and king of top speed at a real 187MPH that is wicked... Enjoy

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
I traded in my 06 10 for an 09 14. More comfortable, better brakes out of the crate, and smoother acceleration.

The 10 did feel like it pulled harder, especially at high rpm in 1st gear. Maybe its just that the 14 is smoother, or maybe I just miss being able to hit 100mph in 1st gear on the 10.

For my age, height, and weight, the 14 is a better bike for me. It still handles good (of course it can't handle like a 10). I haven't really tried to hit top end on it yet, but at 140-150 it seems effortless. I also like the extra 30lbs of torque it has over the 10.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You think it pulls hard stock? Take the secondary fly's out, add an exhaust and PC them post back up...Mine pulls so insanely hard I find myself giggling like a little girl for the first 10 minutes of every ride...:badteeth:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
First off there's no such thing as a 14R and my 10R has never been beat by a 14 to date.. 14 is a nice bike though

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Good write-up Stig. :thumbsup:

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
You think it pulls hard stock? Take the secondary fly's out, add an exhaust and PC them post back up...Mine pulls so insanely hard I find myself giggling like a little girl for the first 10 minutes of every ride...:badteeth:
I have an 09, so most places I checked say don't remove the secondaries. I do have slipons, but I can't afford a PC yet. Baby Steps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off there's no such thing as a 14R
I stand corrected. I would very much like to know the circumstances of your
"my 10R has never been beat by a 14 to date.." statement though. Quarter mile? Through the twisties? Straight line? How far did you guys race?

Black Stig

·
Registered
680 Posts
Love the 14...badass. I am always torn between the handling, braking, and flickability of a litre bike and the stability, comfort, and top end insanity of a hypersport.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Rode my friends 08 zx14 for a few miles. Definitely did not enjoy it. I do not really like the big bikes. I actually felt like acceleration was worse than the it is on the 10.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As far as Kawi's are concerned I've owned a 2008 Zx-10, 2005 ZX-10, 2003 ZRX and now a 2008 ZX-14.

when I compare the two 08 10 vs 08 14, the 14 has much more midrange grunt - much like my 2006 gsxr 1000. I like the (I love) the front brakes on the 14 and think they are far superior than any stock 10 setup I've owned. It's work to hustle a 14 through corners as you would expect, but it does ok. This past weekend I went up to Windy Ridge and back and was exhausted when I got back. I am curious as to how it would compare in a straight line (drag strip type stuff).

your right about the gas mileage thing - had to nurse it back to cougar for fuel - its a bad feeling when you think you might run out of gas.

Oh, one last thing. I put a Yoshimura system on it (duals) its the best sounding bike I've ever owned (well perhaps a toss up between it and the mille) but it truly is awesome sounding - back fires and coughs on decel and just sounds mean and at idle.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
they are so different, the 14 accelerates so smooth it feels slow, when i glanced down i was doing about 110 in no time at all. the 10r is so sharp, it just feels quicker,

both are nice, i prefer the styling of the 10, but that 14 is still a beast

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I stand corrected. I would very much like to know the circumstances of your
"my 10R has never been beat by a 14 to date.." statement though. Quarter mile? Through the twisties? Straight line? How far did you guys race?

Black Stig
My favorite 14 story to date ........ I decided to sell off my 12R because I never rode it anymore. I had been noticing a guy running around my area with a tricked up 14 but didn't know who he was. So this guy comes to look over my 12R to buy and wouldn't you know who he brings with him as his guy in the know about all bikes. NONE OTHER than the dude on the tricked up 14. So after they look around my garage at my toys and the 12 I was selling I ask a few questions about the 14. This fucker stands in own garage and pounded his chest about how that big bad 14 had never been beat by anything EVER. It had 197 HP at the rear and was far from stock.. Bla, bla, bla !! In my own shop he shot his stupid mouth.. And to make matters even better he only lived a few miles down the road as it turned out so we swapped numbers. It took about a month to get hooked up for a ride and he comes with his whole gang to spank my pissie little 10R. We rode out of town to a nice long strait piece of road WHERE HE GOT HIS ASS HANDED TO HIM NO LESS THAN 8 TIMES.. We ran every way and anyway he wanted all the way thru 6 gear. His whole grew left draggin their nut sacks after their hero took a beatin..

What he forgot to take into account was the fact that although my 10R is stock bore with stock pistons it has everything else possible done to it. It makes as much power as his shit and weighs over 100 pounds less.. It's gone before he knows what just happened. This is the same story with all the 14s and Busa boys as well. It's not even a race with these guys..

The REAL reality is the 10R is just quick.. By the time the big bikes realize they are losing they have already lost. It's almost impossible to make up 10 bike lengths placed on you by the end of 3rd gear. It's a total package that does that. Power, weight, gearing. and preparation.

WITH ALL THAT SAID I LIKE THE 14..It's a nice bike, but it's no better or faster than the 12R really.. It's ALOT more refined from front to back.. The 12s are still faster at LSR events. The 14 is better at the strip because it has a much LARGER clutch than the 12. In stock form in struggles to break 200 at places like Maxton. No faster than stock 12s and it's 153cc bigger bore. That tells you something...

·
Registered
680 Posts
My favorite 14 story to date ........ I decided to sell off my 12R because I never rode it anymore. I had been noticing a guy running around my area with a tricked up 14 but didn't know who he was. So this guy comes to look over my 12R to buy and wouldn't you know who he brings with him as his guy in the know about all bikes. NONE OTHER than the dude on the tricked up 14. So after they look around my garage at my toys and the 12 I was selling I ask a few questions about the 14. This fucker stands in own garage and pounded his chest about how that big bad 14 had never been beat by anything EVER. It had 197 HP at the rear and was far from stock.. Bla, bla, bla !! In my own shop he shot his stupid mouth.. And to make matters even better he only lived a few miles down the road as it turned out so we swapped numbers. It took about a month to get hooked up for a ride and he comes with his whole gang to spank my pissie little 10R. We rode out of town to a nice long strait piece of road WHERE HE GOT HIS ASS HANDED TO HIM NO LESS THAN 8 TIMES.. We ran every way and anyway he wanted all the way thru 6 gear. His whole grew left draggin their nut sacks after their hero took a beatin..

What he forgot to take into account was the fact that although my 10R is stock bore with stock pistons it has everything else possible done to it. It makes as much power as his shit and weighs over 100 pounds less.. It's gone before he knows what just happened. This is the same story with all the 14s and Busa boys as well. It's not even a race with these guys..

The REAL reality is the 10R is just quick.. By the time the big bikes realize they are losing they have already lost. It's almost impossible to make up 10 bike lengths placed on you by the end of 3rd gear. It's a total package that does that. Power, weight, gearing. and preparation.

WITH ALL THAT SAID I LIKE THE 14..It's a nice bike, but it's no better or faster than the 12R really.. It's ALOT more refined from front to back.. The 12s are still faster at LSR events. The 14 is better at the strip because it has a much LARGER clutch than the 12. In stock form in struggles to break 200 at places like Maxton. No faster than stock 12s and it's 153cc bigger bore. That tells you something...
I agree with you on the 12r... I had an 01 and that bike was definately tops for a hypersport. The only downside is that the rear tire would barely make 1,000 miles. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for posting Gunner.

Black Stig

·
Registered
4,603 Posts

No doubt... Ran a modded 03 Busa Hindle pipes whatever... Tore him a new one... The race was over by the time I was 1/2 way through 2nd gear. i will say it again. I think the 14 is an awesome bike. If I had a 14 it would be for crusing only. The ZX10 is like the V8 m3. ZX14 is like a V12 760IL or e63

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I traded in my 06 10 for an 09 14. More comfortable, better brakes out of the crate, and smoother acceleration.

The 10 did feel like it pulled harder, especially at high rpm in 1st gear. Maybe its just that the 14 is smoother, or maybe I just miss being able to hit 100mph in 1st gear on the 10.

For my age, height, and weight, the 14 is a better bike for me. It still handles good (of course it can't handle like a 10). I haven't really tried to hit top end on it yet, but at 140-150 it seems effortless. I also like the extra 30lbs of torque it has over the 10.
There is a dude in my area with an all black zx14 with HID's and pipes things looks and sounds awesome...

Check this out i tell people all the time the zx10 rips to 189 with very little effort... Loves this vid you only need to see the first 34 secs

In CT there are plenty of roads to do this but not me I never go that fast:mrgreen:

Passing through the gears at the 1.30 mark on the vid is a perfect example of what this bike is like on the street.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a dude in my area with an all black zx14 with HID's and pipes things looks and sounds awesome...

Check this out i tell people all the time the zx10 rips to 189 with very little effort... Loves this vid you only need to see the first 34 secs

In CT there are plenty of roads to do this but not me I never go that fast:mrgreen:

Passing through the gears at the 1.30 mark on the vid is a perfect example of what this bike is like on the street.

YouTube - Onboard 2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R

vr6, if that is you on the youtube video, your skills are enviable. Perhaps one day I can be close to that. :cool:

Black Stig

1 - 20 of 59 Posts