Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please Check the new area for Rally Information in the Regional Forum section of ZX-10r.net. There is a sub folder that is for meet ups and rallies. All info will be found there.

As many of you know we have started to plan the 1st annual 10R rally at the Dragon. There will be a fair amount of work to make this event happen. I am not trying to hijack this event or hog the decision making. Actually, I would prefer to do this as democratically as possible. In order to make you happy, you are going to have to speak up. I am going to need help, as well as guidance. I have some free time due to being a full time graduate student, so I will do as much as I can.

I am in the process of contacting some possible locations for lodging and a homebase.

We should start thinking of some things:

What to call it? We will start a poll after we get a few good ideas.

How far should we go with the rally? What is to be included?

Do we want to have a banquet/dinner/raffle? If yes, then who can we ask to sponsor?

If we go with a full blown rally, we could have some t-shirts printed fairly cheap, have a bbq, and a small raffle. If it were up to me, I would like to keep it as cheap as possible. I am thinking $15-$20 at the absolute most.

The alternative would be everyman for themselves, but that would take the point away from having a rally.

What worked or didn't work at other rallies?

Input needed!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the response to my inquiry with Two Wheel Inn:

Hi Tom. We have 17 rooms that can hold up to 3 persons in each room and we have a 1 bedroom apartment that can accommodate up to 6 people (1 queen bed, 1 queen sleeper sofa, and up to 3 rollaway beds). All of our rooms have attached garages and the apartment would have use of our personal 2-car garage. We also have plenty of room for trailers. The rooms all have a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, directTV, and wifi. Our room rates are $59.95 + tax for 1 person, $69.95 + tax for 2 persons, and $79.95 + tax for 3 persons. The apartment is $90 + tax for 2 persons, $100 + tax for 3 persons, $110 + tax for 4 persons and an additional $11.08 for each additional person after 4. We also have guest laundry, covered pavilion, bbq grills, picnic tables and a fire pit. We would offer a discount for groups if you rent all of the rooms. We would appreciate the opportunity to be part of your first annual rally! If you would like more information, please call 828-479-4248. Thank you for contacting the Two Wheel Inn and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jami

I am still waiting for a response from Fontana.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You see, I like the Two Wheel Inn even more, with a response like that, lol. Anyway, I could help take care of the Tshirts. I got a guy who can do up to 4 colors on a design and is not expensive. Someone come up with a cool logo design or we could just use the ZX-10R.net colors and font.

As for the dinner, we could have either one big night group dinner or have the 1st night group dinner and the last night group dinner.

Rally name? Well, I'll start it: "1st Annual Ninja Rally", "1st Annual ZX10R Bash at the Dragon", "ZX10R Dragon Rally", "Kawsaki invades the Dragon, 04.21-04.25.10"

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone come up with a cool logo design or we could just use the ZX-10R.net colors and font.
not sure that would be kosher with the powers that be. after all we don't own that logo

As for the dinner, we could have either one big night group dinner or have the 1st night group dinner and the last night group dinner.
I think that we need to stick to ONE sponsored dinner, if that. otherwise its going to be too much work. maybe we can plan to invade certain restaurants in robbinsville, maryville, or bryson city on certain nights

Rally name? Well, I'll start it: "1st Annual Ninja Rally", "1st Annual ZX10R Bash at the Dragon", "ZX10R Dragon Rally", "Kawsaki invades the Dragon, 04.21-04.25.10"

thanks for getting us started
keep the suggestions coming guys

·
Registered
664 Posts
This is where the ZRX guys meet up twice per year. A nice, biker-friendly camp ground.

http://suches.com/skeenah/

That serves as the central location for the different ZRX weekend activities, and is for campers (tents, RVs). Some folks stay in nearby rooms, such as TWI.

I went there for one of their events. It seemed to work out very well. They probably have ~50 bikes show up (WAG).

If interested, I can hook you up with the ZRX event organizers.

My biggest memory from the event is the statement: "I told him not to do it with a steel belted tire." (after the smoky burnout contest).

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Ninjas Slay the Dragon 2010" Maybe?? :dontknow:
good one, and thats what i like. the problem is that is what a lot of groups use as their slogan.

works best for us though:thumbsup:

·
Registered
969 Posts
It name should be set up like- ZX-10R.net
"Ninja Invasion 2010"
My .02
I think we should have a rally dinner the second to last night cause that is going to be when most will definatley be there.... A meet and greet the first morning and then everyone will hang out together more and more up to the big dinner...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Ok now we're getting somewhere.
I need someone to come up with a logo for the Rally as I said I will take care of the Tshirts.
I personally like the "1st Annual NINJA Bash at The Dragon".
Pick what night the dinner is to be on the 1st or the last. Don't matter to me.
See if anyone that lives close to grab a Kawi shop or dealership to sponsor. Or ask the Riders of Kawasaki organization to help us. I'm sure they wouldn't mind in some capacity.
I also can get the decals taken care of (once we come up w/ a design). Decals for our vehicles, bikes, and/or helmets.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok, I have some experience with this. I've done a few DGRRs (Deals Gap Rotary Rally) when I had my 93 RX7. Here are some things they do/did:

* It's usually a Friday thru Sunday.
* The Fontana Lodge host it.
* The Lodge gives discounts as long as enough people attend (don't know how many?)
* They do a group ride down the dragon and back up on Saturday Morning.
* Before the group ride there is usually a NC Trooper that gives a talk about safety and such and then the NC guys usually leave us alone (Still have TN and TVA to deal with though).
* They have a picnic/car show at the top and/or lower part of the damn on Saturday.
* There is a banquet at the Lodge on Saturday night.
* There are Rotary parts supply stores as sponsors that give away small items at banquet.
* Everyone meets for breakfast in Robinsville on Sunday morning.
* Those who want, leave the rally on Sunday via a group ride across the Cherohala Skyway, stopping at about 3 overlooks to rest and take pics.
* End of Rally

That's the Rally but of course everyone is free to ride when and where they want but that's the planned event.

Ok, here is something to consider:

* The legalities of a group ride across the dragon.
- This hasn't happened yet but I'm not sure about what the possibilities are of the organizer(s) getting sued if you actually organize a group ride and a bunch of bikes particpate and someone wrecks, causing someone else to wreck, causing someone else to wreck and so on. Maybe a Waiver needs to be signed or something...I don't know.

As far as name goes:
* 10RDGR 2010 (ie. ZX10R Deals Gap Rally 2010)
* 10s N 10 Rally (ie. ZX10Rs in 2010 Rally) carry on to "10s N 11 Rally" and so on.
Or Whatever

Just some suggestions.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good points hus!

I don't think we will sponsor or schedule any rides. i am sure that we will be able to hook people up with groups based on experience/pace when the time comes and if need be. i hate a group of more than five (really 4), and i like to make multiple runs per day. not too mention a daily trip to the cherohala.

i have been to a few rallies too, but they all just end up being the same thing. what can we do different?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Good points hus!

I don't think we will sponsor or schedule any rides. i am sure that we will be able to hook people up with groups based on experience/pace when the time comes and if need be. i hate a group of more than five (really 4), and i like to make multiple runs per day. not too mention a daily trip to the cherohala.

i have been to a few rallies too, but they all just end up being the same thing. what can we do different?
In a setting like that, I agree. With more then a few riders it could end up being a bad situation, esp if someone tries to ride past their ability. Most know how others ride, so it can easily be broken down into smaller groups. If a group ride of everyone is done, I'd say keep the speed moderate to lower the chance of something bad.

I plan on going for at least one long night ride to just cruise and enjoy the time. I don't plan on having a route, just a gps to make sure I can get back. lol I'd be more then happy if others wanted to join. I'm also going to bring a grill to have a BBQ, so maybe we can all have dinner one night and pass along stories etc?

·
Registered
916 Posts
a name for this...

I would suggest

ZX10R
Ninjas at the Gap
1st Annual Rally

or a variation of this maybe with the year/date behind/underneath it?
And then the Kawasaki Dragon on the back of the t-shirts?

I definitely want to be there, even if it's only for 1 or 2 nights.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Inaugural Ninja - Dragon Attack ?? Ninja vs. Dragon ??

I personally have never been to the Dragon, I am really pumped to go though if this can be arranged. I was planning on going next year anyway with a group from around my area.

I will watch this post with interest.

Anything that is planned will work for me!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have never been there either, but I have heard it's a lot of twisties, that sounds very booooooooooring to me... :crackup:
NOT..... I want to go there next year anyways, got to check out what all the fuzz is about.:thumbsup:
So a ZX rally is a perfect excuse to go there...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Killboy Group Shot

If you all would want to get a group shot of everybody who shows up here is a little more info. If I can help let me know.

Hey Randy,

I don't charge anything for the group photos, I just expect group members not to share the group shots amongst themselves and respect our business by supporting us as best they can.

Group shots do need to take place around my shooting schedule though, which means we can do them late Friday or Saturday, or almost any time during other days of the week.

Hope we can work something out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyG
Hey Darryl,

A group of ZX10 riders is meeting up next April for a few days at the Gap, they might be interested in some group shots, maybe down by Fontana Dam. What do you charge for something like that?

Thank you!

Randy

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If you all would want to get a group shot of everybody who shows up here is a little more info. If I can help let me know.

Hey Randy,

I don't charge anything for the group photos, I just expect group members not to share the group shots amongst themselves and respect our business by supporting us as best they can.

Group shots do need to take place around my shooting schedule though, which means we can do them late Friday or Saturday, or almost any time during other days of the week.

Hope we can work something out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyG
Hey Darryl,

A group of ZX10 riders is meeting up next April for a few days at the Gap, they might be interested in some group shots, maybe down by Fontana Dam. What do you charge for something like that?

Thank you!

Randy
Awesome! This is coming together nicley.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for helping me to get things rolling. We will add a group shot into the schedule when we sit down and nail it out.

Keep the slogan ideas coming.

I still like "Ninjas slay the Dragon" or "Ninja's assassinate the Dragon"

I am still waiting to hear back from Fontana.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
im very interested in this as well.... im not the knee draggin type, but i love the twisty roads... my speed for the twistys is alot less than most, as to expect with 12" of exten. but i have wanted to ride the dragon for a while now.. i have no problem putting the stock set up back for this event..

looks like you guys are doing a great job in bringing this thing together... keep up the hard work..

i look forward to see where this ends up....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts