Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

My 08-10 zx10r cut out while riding today, rolled to the side of the road, tried to restart but it's dead, doesn't even turn over. No click from the starter solenoid either.
Dash lights up fine and the exhaust servo still works when turning ignition on.
The battery is fine fully charged and turned the bike over fast as normal before this.
I thought maybe the side stand cut but, can't be that as once it's back in neutral it would restart and run until a gear is engaged which it does not.

· Registered
1,738 Posts
Do you have any slack in your clutch cable? May not be fully engaging.

· Registered
1,738 Posts
The last part of your OP is why I asked. Sounds like some electrical gremlin if you’ve already eliminated the kick stand sensor, tip over sensor, clutch cable, clutch lever switch, fuel pump relay. May have better luck on some other responses if you give some history on the bike.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What ever has caused it this, it cut power to the engine and to the starter, maybe the stator?
Just remembered last night when it was on tickover the lights were dim and when revved they brightened, if it stopped charging it could of run until the battery drained.
Which would be 2 days use since I fitted the battery on Saturday.
I'll pull the battery tonight and check it for charge.

· Registered
2,630 Posts
What ever has caused it this, it cut power to the engine and to the starter, maybe the stator?
Just remembered last night when it was on tickover the lights were dim and when revved they brightened, if it stopped charging it could of run until the battery drained.
Which would be 2 days use since I fitted the battery on Saturday.
I'll pull the battery tonight and check it for charge.
Your post wasn't making making sense until you mentioned the dim lights, if it isn't the gennie then get back to us i can talk you through some other possibilities. If you have a multimeter, even a £10 one from wilko's will tell you what the charging rate is.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so update, put the battery on and still wouldn't turn over, for some unknown reason I just decided out of hope to flick the run stop back and forth a few times and tried it again then, it started fine and dandy.
So looks like the could be damp in the switch because the bike wasn't used for a few months while sitting outside even with a cover over it.
A bit strange that it just cut out while riding though, I've never heard of a closed switch position to cause this before. Especially as the bike gets ridden in all weather's and sits outside at work in torrential rain and hasn't had a problem in 9 years of owning it and I never use the run stop.
I'll update once I know for sure that it is the problem, if so it will be the cheapest fix ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts