Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating a master cylinder upgrade and brake line upgrade for some time and would like some insight.

Everyone raves about the brembo 19x18 mc, so i think im leaning towards going that route. Anyone try the 19x20mm?

There are two types, the forged and the cast. Do they perform and look the same? In the pictures i've seen, the forged has the black levers which look better imo. Also like the lever adjustability on the forged however it needs an extra brake switch if used on the street. Does both units use the stock brake res? Any expereience using either?

On to brake lines, has anyone tried the superbike galfer lines? Its supposed to tap right into the caliper and not use a banjo bolt. They claim its an upgrade on the conventional stainless lines and $30 more to boot.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Don't know if you caught this thread
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13612

Lots of options and info in that thread.
Good question about the lines, seems that I remember at leat one person having issues with them, leaking from fitting maybe? not sure maybe they'll chime in.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
On the superbike galfer lines. I have them and they work great. Just make sure they are tightened to their proper torque settings and you won't have any problems. You do however have to check them periodically to make sure they have not loosened although mine never have. If you are mainly just riding on the street I would say just get the ss lines with the banjo bolts.

On the Brembo Cast Radial Pump Master Cylinder I have the 19x18 and it is amazing as I have said before. Plus it costs around $230 so it isn't that bad. I have used it at the track and racing and brake fade is practically non-existence. Great mod for sure.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
Don't know if you caught this thread
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13612

Lots of options and info in that thread.
Good question about the lines, seems that I remember at leat one person having issues with them, leaking from fitting maybe? not sure maybe they'll chime in.
I did have issues with my first set only because I over tightened it and cracked the fitting.:mrgreen: Otherwise no problem.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have the Brembo 19x18 and Galfer superbike lines as well. I also upgraded my brake pads to SBS Racing Sintered. The difference in braking power and consistency is simply amazing.

- Unless you are going full out racing, the cast MC is more than ample. The lever that comes with it is black as well and is adjustable for reach.
- The superbike lines are great, but as other members have said, you want to pay special attention to the tightening the attachments to the calipers. Also, because the stock master cylinder design is non-radial, you will have to play around with the hose fitments to get it to fit properly. I would suggest looking at ordering a set of ZX-6R lines. I am not sure of the fit, but conventional thinking would assume they would fit.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
The lockhart team privateer program "winter racer sale" has the Brembo for $150.. Just an FYI if you or one of your friends has a FUSA / CCS / AMA / CMRA etc... license.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Rspec99 said:
I have the Brembo 19x18 and Galfer superbike lines as well. I also upgraded my brake pads to SBS Racing Sintered. The difference in braking power and consistency is simply amazing.

- Unless you are going full out racing, the cast MC is more than ample. The lever that comes with it is black as well and is adjustable for reach.
- The superbike lines are great, but as other members have said, you want to pay special attention to the tightening the attachments to the calipers. Also, because the stock master cylinder design is non-radial, you will have to play around with the hose fitments to get it to fit properly. I would suggest looking at ordering a set of ZX-6R lines. I am not sure of the fit, but conventional thinking would assume they would fit.
The cast brembo mc is the way to go. I think the forged is like $450 while the cast is $230ish. Unless you are Rossi or Hayden I don't think it would matter between the 2. I full out race the 10 or at least try to:mrgreen: and for any club racer the cast mc is plenty good enough. It is a huge leap up from the stock mc and another benefit is the bleeding nipple that is actually on the brembo mc allowing you to get a much better bleed and to get rid of all the air in the lines and mc.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
trackaddict said:
The lockhart team privateer program "winter racer sale" has the Brembo for $150.. Just an FYI if you or one of your friends has a FUSA / CCS / AMA / CMRA etc... license.
Really, is it the 19x18??? That's a smoking deal:mrgreen:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rspec99 said:

Thanks for the comments guys.

So if the cast mc has the adjustable lever and built in brake switch (and the lever comes in black) than what is the difference with the forged other than the obvious?

I'm trying to figure out which model both of you have.

My use is more for track/street and the solution i end up buying should be no maintanance, set it and forget it. That comment about the fitting backs out on its own scares me.

Excellent point on the 6r lines. Are the aftermarket lines use the same piggyback configuration as stock??

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trackaddict said:
What a great deal! Too bad i am not a member, unless.... someone could help me out?! :dontknow:

Do I have any "friends" who can help me take advantage of this deal?

Pretty please.... :mrgreen:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Tito said:
What a great deal! Too bad i am not a member, unless.... someone could help me out?! :dontknow:

Do I have any "friends" who can help me take advantage of this deal?

Pretty please.... :mrgreen:
I'll try....

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Tito said:
Thanks for the comments guys.

So if the cast mc has the adjustable lever and built in brake switch (and the lever comes in black) than what is the difference with the forged other than the obvious?

I'm trying to figure out which model both of you have.

My use is more for track/street and the solution i end up buying should be no maintanance, set it and forget it. That comment about the fitting backs out on its own scares me.

Excellent point on the 6r lines. Are the aftermarket lines use the same piggyback configuration as stock??
For you and me and any other non-pro racer the cast is the way to go. Maintenance free it is. On the superbike lines they are really no maintenance as long as yuo check them every once in a while. I check mine after each track session or race. They have never come loose and I doubt they would. It is just that unlike the banjo bolt there is a possibility on how they attatch that they could squirm loose but I highly doubt it. On the other hand though the ss lines would be fine and I have heard the superbike are really not much of a step up if any anyways. So my conclusion for you::mrgreen: Get the Brembo mc 19x18 with the resevoir and tubing and get a set of galfer brake lines(probably ss lines) some good fluid and some good brake pads.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the forged 19x20 unit and for me it's the best thing that you can do to the braking system. I had in the past a 19x18 on a different bike and there's not much diference to the unit I have now. They're both huge improvements to any stock set-up on Jap bikes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zx10ragentorange said:
For you and me and any other non-pro racer the cast is the way to go. Maintenance free it is. On the superbike lines they are really no maintenance as long as yuo check them every once in a while. I check mine after each track session or race. They have never come loose and I doubt they would. It is just that unlike the banjo bolt there is a possibility on how they attatch that they could squirm loose but I highly doubt it. On the other hand though the ss lines would be fine and I have heard the superbike are really not much of a step up if any anyways. So my conclusion for you::mrgreen: Get the Brembo mc 19x18 with the resevoir and tubing and get a set of galfer brake lines(probably ss lines) some good fluid and some good brake pads.
ok I'm almost there :wink:

Are you saying the stock resevoir and tubing are not compatible with the cast brembo mc? Just trying to figure out the real cost of the upgrade here.

brembo mc $200ish, res $40, tubing $8 = ~$250
05 6r mc $100ish, res $20, tubing $8 = ~$130
larger conventional MC ~$100, stock res, stock tubing = ~$100

hmmm, lets see how much i can get the brembo for.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Tito said:
ok I'm almost there :wink:

Are you saying the stock resevoir and tubing are not compatible with the cast brembo mc? Just trying to figure out the real cost of the upgrade here.

brembo mc $200ish, res $40, tubing $8 = ~$250
05 6r mc $100ish, res $20, tubing $8 = ~$130
larger conventional MC ~$100, stock res, stock tubing = ~$100

hmmm, lets see how much i can get the brembo for.
The brembo mc is leaps and bounds ahead of those other choices. well worth the extra money IMHO. Like I said call up indysuperbikes and see what kind of a deal you can get with them with everything needed. Tell them it is Christmas and you are broke or something.:idea: (not that it would work though):rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Tito

The 05 6r MC i bought used came with the resevoir/tubing and it all bolted right up AND it has the OEM brake switch to boot. The only item i had to buy was the short Pazzo lever & ss-lines.

BD

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pedrodani said:
I have the forged 19x20 unit and for me it's the best thing that you can do to the braking system. I had in the past a 19x18 on a different bike and there's not much diference to the unit I have now. They're both huge improvements to any stock set-up on Jap bikes.

That looks really nice.

Would you agree the lever effort and travel is less on the 19x20 than the 19x18? From the sound of it, i am interpreting the difference as marginal. Is there enough feel for precise modulation? I'm a big trail braker so the feel is key.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
trackaddict said:
I went to the lockhart site and couldn't find where to get this deal? Where would one go to buy this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, the diference is minimal between versions, although if feel is the key then the 20 will suit best as it's less radical and more progressive. Any of them will provide much more braking feedback on the lever while comparing to stock.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Tito,
I have the 19X20 and Fren Tubo lines with CM55 pads the stock res and the stock line from the res to the M/C. I got a great deal from Brad at Superbike Supply for the M/C and brake light switch shipped. Give him a call and he can work with ya. There are differences between the 18 and the 20 but I believe it will/would come down to personal preference. I also had a 19X18 on another bike and I like the 20 better than the 18. I also trail brake and I haven't had issues doing it with this set-up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts