Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
10R brake fluid??

So I read about how the brake is supposed to be bad and should change to brembo or nissin master cyl. Well I talked to a former GP racer who is now a kawi mech and he said it is a stock fluid problem. He says the fluid heats up and boils so by changing the fluid it will kill the problem, that plus the new lines...

So?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
im going outside with a stick of dynomyte

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
I'm running synthetic Motul fluid and ss lines the Brakes work fine even on super hot August days at the Track :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why the stick of TNT?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That is only part of the prob, the other part say you hvae done those upgrades is once the fluid gets hot it tends to bleed by the seals in the master cylinder and cause brake fade.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
sneaky said:
That is only part of the prob, the other part say you hvae done those upgrades is once the fluid gets hot it tends to bleed by the seals in the master cylinder and cause brake fade.
:dontknow: not having a problem with that at all

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to hear the take on the fluid....heat boil comment...From what he said you change the fluid it wont get nearly as hot. That being said the seals would not become a problem...

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Perferd said:
I just wanted to hear the take on the fluid....heat boil comment...From what he said you change the fluid it wont get nearly as hot. That being said the seals would not become a problem...
:+1: okay

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Perferd said:
So I read about how the brake is supposed to be bad and should change to brembo or nissin master cyl. Well I talked to a former GP racer who is now a kawi mech and he said it is a stock fluid problem. He says the fluid heats up and boils so by changing the fluid it will kill the problem, that plus the new lines...

So?
I tried everything. I changed the fluid, no change. Then the lines, got a little better. Then the pads, more bite but no real change in lever travel. Nothing kept the brakes from becoming less effective and the brake lever squashing my fingers after a couple sessions at trackdays. I'm doing the 636 mod this weekend. Hopefully, this will fix the problem come springtime.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used the NAPA DOT 4 fluid with no problems at all on my 6RR. You can feel it heat up and expand during the first use of the breaks but thats it. I don't have any fade problems. I'm using Bremo pads with SS lines.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats completely different though LOL....but thanks for participation

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Perferd said:

So?
WRONG!!
stock fluid may not be very good but there are plenty of aftermarket fluids available and it happens to them as well. I doubt theres very few riders that would get fluid to boil riding on the street so its not worth mentioning however for trackdays or racing it can and does happen but replacing it is not the cure(nor are ss-lines) do tell the mech that the MC is the culprit due to internal tolerances being what they are.

It sounds as though Trey doesn't have any issues which could very well be an OEM MC with tighter tolerances.

BD

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Perferd said:

So?
Who's the former GP rider? Got a name for us?
Just havin' some fun. Change the fluid to dionysian elixer and that m/c will still suck.

BTW, b4 anyone starts crying about another bad Kaw part, my friend's K5 has the same problem with his m/c. POS!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I know is his first name is Ed and he is now the mech at the kawi dealer I bought my bike from...

I wasnt crying about anything, I was just asking if what I heard was true. I wasnt even really asking about the m/c but more the fluid heat thing...

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
phastone said:
I tried everything. I changed the fluid, no change. Then the lines, got a little better. Then the pads, more bite but no real change in lever travel. Nothing kept the brakes from becoming less effective and the brake lever squashing my fingers after a couple sessions at trackdays. I'm doing the 636 mod this weekend. Hopefully, this will fix the problem come springtime.
+1 did all of the above only to still be quite unsatisfied with the results for the money but after the Brembo MC install it is amazing and makes all the change in the world and brake fade is pretty much non-existent

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
zx10ragentorange said:
+1 did all of the above only to still be quite unsatisfied with the results for the money but after the Brembo MC install it is amazing and makes all the change in the world and brake fade is pretty much non-existent
You did the 636 mod and it didn't help (or help enough)?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Have you experienced any problems? I personally had the brake fade, toward the end of 20 min session at Putnam last year. This was with stock fluid and stock lines. Which caused be to go after market (not really i was gonna go aftermarket anyway) I went with SS lines and Syth fluid. Guess what My second track day at Putnam..same thing at the end of a hard 20 min session. I got brake fade. I noticed that on both occasions that I had to pull the lever harder and closer to the bar. Not enough to the point that I had the lever bottom out..but enough to know I wasnt slowing down as fast as I wanted too. I dont think its a pad issue, although I will be changing them. I will admit I am a pretty late braker, I get on them pretty hard, but havin said that i have NEVER had problems on the street, other than the common lack of feel and spongyness of the lever. Looks like Im going to have to go with a Different MC to cure the problem...like everyone else has already stated.

Perferd said:
All I know is his first name is Ed and he is now the mech at the kawi dealer I bought my bike from...

I wasnt crying about anything, I was just asking if what I heard was true. I wasnt even really asking about the m/c but more the fluid heat thing...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Oh and for a quick comparison. I was bitching about my brakes and my wife was like whats the problem. I took her to the 7R and said grab the front brake, and then to the 10R and do the same thing.. She said and I qoute " the 7 feels hard as a rock and the 10 is spongy feeling" Both bike have the same fluid and SS lines

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
zx-7rking said:
Have you experienced any problems? I personally had the brake fade, toward the end of 20 min session at Putnam last year. This was with stock fluid and stock lines. Which caused be to go after market (not really i was gonna go aftermarket anyway) I went with SS lines and Syth fluid. Guess what My second track day at Putnam..same thing at the end of a hard 20 min session. I got brake fade. I noticed that on both occasions that I had to pull the lever harder and closer to the bar. Not enough to the point that I had the lever bottom out..but enough to know I wasnt slowing down as fast as I wanted too. I dont think its a pad issue, although I will be changing them. I will admit I am a pretty late braker, I get on them pretty hard, but havin said that i have NEVER had problems on the street, other than the common lack of feel and spongyness of the lever. Looks like Im going to have to go with a Different MC to cure the problem...like everyone else has already stated.
I experienced brake fade and had the lever bottom out on me at a trackday at road america. Not fun when you are going 175+ down the front and back straights. This was with the stock mc and galfer ss lines and hh pads. I had to bleed the fluid after almost every session to make it through the day.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts