Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a small airport and have access to free 100LL AvGas (I just use the fuel sumped out of the tanks every morning). I was wondering if it would be safe to use in my stock ZX-10 and if I would have to worry about any long term effects. I know higher octane doesn't burn as well in a lower compression engine, but the only 93 octane gas I can get here has ethanol in it. The only non ethanol there is around here is 87. So which would be best for my engine, or which would be my best option: free 100LL, 87 w/o ethanol, or 93 w/ ethanol.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,216 Posts
Non-ethanol 87 would be the best. DO NOT run avgas in the motor. That stuff contains lead. It is not lead free and can have serious ramifications on a motor not specifically designed for it. The lead is used to help counteract detonation tendencies of piston-powered aircraft engines at high altitudes. There is no increase in power associated with 100LL.

Use the lowest octane fuel that doesn't result in detonation, knocking, or pinging for your motor. High octane fuel is used for high horsepower motors, it doesn't provide extra power. The only time I've run anything higher than 89 octane in my bike is when I needed gas at a station that only sold 91 octane.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is a sticker near the filler cap on my australian gen 4 that says minimum 95 RON but I guess we are lucky we get the high power version.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My gen1 calls for a minimum of 90 Octane (Ron+Mon)/2..
And for the record runs like crap on 87. Fuel economy also looses about 50km/tank.. can't be good for the motor! I won't run 87 again. some people swear by it.. but my experience must have differed.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,216 Posts
Yes, the book and the sticker on the tank call for 91 octane....blah, blah, blah. The lower the octane, the easier and quicker the fuel burns. That means more power on lower octane all things considered. It's more susceptible to knocking and detonation however. So, you run the lowest octane you can without these effects. My reflashed gen 4 has never seen any fuel higher than 89 octane except on 1 occasion.

But the point of this thread is about 100LL Avgas. So without thread jacking about octane ratings any longer, 100LL (Low Lead) is a leaded fuel. Specific to high altitude aircraft with manual mixture controls for the fuel/air ratio that the pilot controls manually. Running leaded fuel in your car or motorcycle will fuck up oxygen sensors, catalytic converters, and leave lead deposits on the pistons and valves. All with ZERO performance benefits.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
762 Posts
I work at a small airport and have access to free 100LL AvGas (I just use the fuel sumped out of the tanks every morning). I was wondering if it would be safe to use in my stock ZX-10 and if I would have to worry about any long term effects. I know higher octane doesn't burn as well in a lower compression engine, but the only 93 octane gas I can get here has ethanol in it. The only non ethanol there is around here is 87. So which would be best for my engine, or which would be my best option: free 100LL, 87 w/o ethanol, or 93 w/ ethanol.
What make you think an airplane has higher compression than a 10R?

An aircraft NA piston engine has normally 6-7 to 1 CR. Our bikes come from factory with 12.7 CR. Even considering dynamic compression, this is 9.5; in my motor and after changing to Webs and head decking, dynamic went up to 11.0 CR (and would barely run on pump gas without pinging)

SkyDork is right in that octane rating alone does not give you more power, but provided the necessary changes are carried out it will, and indeed 100LL is way better fuel than pump gas.

I have a '46 Luscombe Silvaire, and up to a few years ago there was an STC (supplemental type certificate) that would allow legal use of pump gas on it (and of course on many other aircraft)
There was a big difference in favor of 100LL when compared to the best pump gas available which was 98 RON non ethanol. For refference, when ehanol blended fuels arrived the STC was no longer valid.

To make this story short, yes, 100LL has lead, but other than ruining the catalitic converter or the lambda sensor, it will not harm the engine. The spark plugs will need regular maintenence though due to lead pearls build up.

I'm sure you can make more power with it, but you need to tune the FI and ignition to take advantage, otherwise there is no benifits from its use. In fact, will be detrimental due to the increase in regular maintenence required.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,004 Posts
You will get lead fouling of your spark plugs, they are a bastard to get to, you decide!

Remove your cat first! If you have a us bike there is no o2 sensor to worry about.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yes, the book and the sticker on the tank call for 91 octane....blah, blah, blah. The lower the octane, the easier and quicker the fuel burns. That means more power on lower octane all things considered. It's more susceptible to knocking and detonation however. So, you run the lowest octane you can without these effects. My reflashed gen 4 has never seen any fuel higher than 89 octane except on 1 occasion.

But the point of this thread is about 100LL Avgas. So without thread jacking about octane ratings any longer, 100LL (Low Lead) is a leaded fuel. Specific to high altitude aircraft with manual mixture controls for the fuel/air ratio that the pilot controls manually. Running leaded fuel in your car or motorcycle will fuck up oxygen sensors, catalytic converters, and leave lead deposits on the pistons and valves. All with ZERO performance benefits.

Yeah, I don't think I'll do any experimenting with that with my bike. I'll stick to manufacturer's recommendations.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,372 Posts
Use the lowest octane fuel that doesn't result in detonation, knocking, or pinging for your motor. High octane fuel is used for high horsepower motors, it doesn't provide extra power. The only time I've run anything higher than 89 octane in my bike is when I needed gas at a station that only sold 91 octane.
WHAT!?!?!?

I've been running Shell 91 Oxygenated all this time on my gen 2 with a 2bros cat removed and pc.. I could be running their 89 and get more power and spend less $$?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,216 Posts
WHAT!?!?!?

I've been running Shell 91 Oxygenated all this time on my gen 2 with a 2bros cat removed and pc.. I could be running their 89 and get more power and spend less $$?
More money for Starbucks ya know!

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,372 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,216 Posts
At 13:1 compression I'll stick with 91 thank you!

Spoken like a true sheeple! :lol:

Thin head gasket, forced induction, cam, ignition advance, sure, higher octane all day. But even at 13:1 on a stock motor with a light tune, 87-89 is fine. Especially considering the higher fuel refinement levels of fuel in the US compared to say, Micronesia. But hey, it's your bike. Do what you want. No need to take my word for it.

If I pulled up to a pump and my only choices were non-Ethanol 87, 10% Ethanol 93, and 100LL Avgas, I'd be filling it with the non-Ethanol 87.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Spoken like a true sheeple! :lol:

Thin head gasket, forced induction, cam, ignition advance, sure, higher octane all day. But even at 13:1 on a stock motor with a light tune, 87-89 is fine. Especially considering the higher fuel refinement levels of fuel in the US compared to say, Micronesia. But hey, it's your bike. Do what you want. No need to take my word for it.

If I pulled up to a pump and my only choices were non-Ethanol 87, 10% Ethanol 93, and 100LL Avgas, I'd be filling it with the non-Ethanol 87.

Not a sheeple here but thanks for the slight. I'm not a noob either. I've had numerous high performance vehicles over the years and most of them would ping with less than the highest octane fuel from the pump. But what do I know, I'm not the great and mighty SkyDork? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts