Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nibble on the hook with a guy that wants to trade his 05 636 for my 04 ZX10R. I've been thinking about a 636 to use for the track and some street (when the Duc is nesting at the shop). The 10 is only valued at about $500 more than the 636. Small enough a difference that i don't mind eating it. If I traded my 10 in for a new one it would cost me a few grad. Anyone going to talk me out of this??? I know the 10 is a better street bike for my fat ass, but the 636 will be much better for me to get aquainted to the track on. Plus I have the Duc for street duty. Any other pros or cons I'm missing?

edit: btw- sold my F4i track bike

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
does anyone every talk you out of it? :dontknow:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hillcountry10r said:
does anyone every talk you out of it? :dontknow:
nope!! pretty much have my mind made up to do it if the guy follows through. just looking for opinions. i know quite a few of you have both 10's and 6's.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know about a new 10. It's kinda a been there, done that thing. Seriously comptiplating a complete motor build (engine blue print, set squish, high comp pistons) on the 999R though.

.....That'll get me to the stock HP of the 10!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Only bad thing is it will feel terribly slow. I rode my buddies r6 and there is no way I could go back to a 600.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S.ga.rider said:
Only bad thing is it will feel terribly slow. I rode my buddies r6 and there is no way I could go back to a 600.
I got smoked at Deal's Gap by kids on 600's. i think the bike it self will be plenty fast. HP just masks lack of skills by making up time in the straights.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I aint got nothin to prove, so I dont mind the extra HP. I enjoy it.

The 600 will help you learn better though. Its much more user friendly. If you've become used to the power on the duc, the power loss shoudln't bother you goin to the 600.

Just keep her from 12-13K and rip it up! :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
miykl said:
I got smoked at Deal's Gap by kids on 600's. i think the bike it self will be plenty fast. HP just masks lack of skills by making up time in the straights.
Thinking, thinking, thinking, complete. I was trying to find a pro in this deal. The bikes are about the same weight. The only difference is $'s and motor! Bad deal IMO. The same thing you can do on a 636 the same on a 10r but faster!!! Go figure?

·
Registered
373 Posts
never met a fast 636 at the track yet - only gixxer600's. All the fast boys on the 6's (and there have been a good few who were faster than me) who have traded up to litre bike have been faster still.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
tell Ty Howard that 636s aint fast...

·
Registered
220 Posts
LOL hill. If you wanna track bike a 6 might be the way to go. I don't know if I'd like the deal as a wash tho. But I'm a greedy bastard sometimes, I might say pay me that $500. Its still a good deal for the other guy. He wants to get rid of his 6 and get bigger bike. Your kinda doing him a favor IMHO. Good luck

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
matt_Rad73 said:
LOL hill. If you wanna track bike a 6 might be the way to go. I don't know if I'd like the deal as a wash tho. But I'm a greedy bastard sometimes, I might say pay me that $500. Its still a good deal for the other guy. He wants to get rid of his 6 and get bigger bike. Your kinda doing him a favor IMHO. Good luck
ya- he's getting the better end of the deal, but I went looking for it. There will be some negotiating. We coonasses aren't all dumb you know... .....well..... :badteeth:

·
Registered
383 Posts
miykl said:
Don't know about a new 10. It's kinda a been there, done that thing. Seriously comptiplating a complete motor build (engine blue print, set squish, high comp pistons) on the 999R though.

.....That'll get me to the stock HP of the 10!!! LOL
Since I ride both regularly, i say the 636 offers lots of smiles for the mile. From the get go, its needs the gearing changed, 1/5th throttle, 120/70 front tire and rear 5mm spacer and steering damper to feel good. And then you feel like you are WOT everywhere, which is fun b/c you are also WOT in the corners... If you are over 180lbs and a track guy, you'll likely need to do springs whereas on the 10r you can get away with stock stuff. Wickedly fun machine, I'd probably do the trade myself. Afterall you have a 999 as back up!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tito said:
Since I ride both regularly, i say the 636 offers lots of smiles for the mile. From the get go, its needs the gearing changed, 1/5th throttle, 120/70 front tire and rear 5mm spacer and steering damper to feel good. And then you feel like you are WOT everywhere, which is fun b/c you are also WOT in the corners... If you are over 180lbs and a track guy, you'll likely need to do springs whereas on the 10r you can get away with stock stuff. Wickedly fun machine, I'd probably do the trade myself. Afterall you have a 999 as back up!
there's some good info.. thnx

what is the suggested gearing change?

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
cardeea said:
Thinking, thinking, thinking, complete. I was trying to find a pro in this deal. The bikes are about the same weight. The only difference is $'s and motor! Bad deal IMO. The same thing you can do on a 636 the same on a 10r but faster!!! Go figure?
Not true when your track nuts haven't dropped down yet. :lol:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
miykl said:
:+1:
Exactly. If it's for the track, you won't miss the 10.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts