Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Why the fuck does a passenger car need 10 speedes, it doesnt they arnt a semi pulling 40 ton its just a car, must be a marketing thing.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
why not? as long as they can make a reliable one, it'll be great. however, its ford and gmc, so, it wont be until some europeans do it in a few years

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,014 Posts
Man, I had a 10-speed bike decades ago. The auto manufacturers are way behind the times. :lol:

I suspect this is to improve the gas mileage by being able to select several different ratios depending on the conditions. And I'm glad, cause CVTs absolutely suck ballz.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 7 speed dct tranny and currently have an 8 speed now. Unless I am paddle shifting like I should I cant tell what gear the car is in while in full auto. The more the better.

·
The Pace
6,986 Posts
Perfect if several modes are included, like race, city, mega geek, etc. So cool in a 500 hp mustang, and can get 40 mpg!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I drive tractor trailer....

In recent years all the company buys is automatic 10 speed trannies...

They are the biggest pieces of crap I ever drove.

but whatever..... :rolleyes:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
The ZF-designed 8-speed auto tranny that Chrysler is phasing in, is supposed to be quite good, although I haven't driven one. BMW is using the ZF 8-speed (the original one, not the Chrysler-licensed one) in a lot of vehicles now. Chrysler will also be using a ZF 9-speed auto tranny for the front drive vehicles, but it's not in production yet. ZF have themselves stated that there is no benefit to using more speeds than that.

Planetary gear-sets lend themselves to using lots of ratios ... by adding one more gear-set or one more clutch, you can add several more combinations of which gears to engage. The 8-speed transmissions are more complex than an old fashioned 4-speed auto ... but not by as much as you would think. ZF's 8-speed only has one more clutch inside it than a 4-speed auto-box, and one or two more planetary gear-sets.

Every CVT that has been developed to this date, has more mechanical friction losses than a good gear-to-gear transmission, and a lot of people don't like the way they sound or drive.

My dad has a VW Golf with their 6-speed DSG "automated-manual". It's the only auto-box I've driven that I don't hate. It's pretty good at picking the correct gear to be in. These new transmissions are a long way from the old "dumb" hydraulic control automatics that would bog down in 3rd gear going uphill, until the pedal reached the metal, then downshift to 2nd gear 100 rpm short of redline and take off, only to upshift to 3rd again and bog down again ... CVTs don't do that either, they just have an unpleasant slipping-clutch or rubber-band feel to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts