Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my f sprocket to a 16 t ..... I m running 190/50 17...06 gen 2 zx10. Acceleration definitely improved.... what I don t understand is why my top end is still at 189 mph and my my mph vs rpm are still the same. second gear at 6000 rpm is roughly at 59 mph... that never changed with the sprocket change... My gps showed a 10% discrepancy with the 50 tire and now about a 14% discrepancy with the sprocket change. I m assuming Kawasaki just uses rpms and what gear you are in to give u a preset mph????

Sorry if this has been already brought up... couldn't find it on the board.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I m assuming Kawasaki just uses rpms and what gear you are in to give u a preset mph????
It uses a sensor on the output shaft of the transmission, so by changing the sprocket or tires the transmission still spins at the same speed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It uses a sensor on the output shaft of the transmission, so by changing the sprocket or tires the transmission still spins at the same speed.
ok... that s what I was asking. Thanks everyone.... I found a speedohealer v4.0 for $114.....

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

I did not know that and why would I as I own a 1st Gen, but great Info never the less. :thumbsup:

Now if any other 1st or 2nd Gen ZX10R owners do a search and find this thread YOUR BIKE does not work this way. It uses a Sprocket sensor and without a SpeedoHealer adjusted to mods then....... ANY sprocket Change YOU WILL SEE A CHANGE ON THE SPEEDO AND TACH.

bloo

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I agree with everybody else here :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why would you want to kill your top end like that???? you want just a wheelie bike?
Going down one on the f hardly makes this a flat out wheelie bike but it sure gives me better acceleration :headshake .... top end is nice but not as useful.... 189 - 14% =162 mph and can still get my bike empounded...:BangHead:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ll gps it 2morrow and let you know.

·
Registered
971 Posts
why would you want to kill your top end like that???? you want just a wheelie bike?
You guys can't have many corners if you only care about top end...

In tight stuff, -1 makes a huge difference to the rideability.

For the record, we have a lot more twisty stuff our way, so we don't bother with the top end stuff often.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
FAIL!

It doesn't kill top end by any means, just takes a few mph off the top. With stock gearing, even when your cluster says 189mph, you're really only doing about 170ish, give or take some. With the -1 front sprocket, you're still doing 170+, and you get there faster.

Why would you EVER need stock gearing on the street? You don't.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
I'm -1 +1 righ now and I love it! I'm thinking about trying a +2 to see how like it...

Just a little threadjack but my speedo is going crazy it's never at the right mph, it bounces from under 20mph to 189 while I'm cruzing down the road, even driving in my parking garage it will hit 189 lol. Any ideas what might be going on? I haven't even looked at it yet...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
WHAT? I went -2 down in the front and now you guys are telling me that my bike does NOT do 189mph? I'm so selling my bike and getting a Gsxr...I know they do about 201mph according to the forums.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did not know that and why would I as I own a 1st Gen, but great Info never the less. :thumbsup:

Now if any other 1st or 2nd Gen ZX10R owners do a search and find this thread YOUR BIKE does not work this way. It uses a Sprocket sensor and without a SpeedoHealer adjusted to mods then....... ANY sprocket Change YOU WILL SEE A CHANGE ON THE SPEEDO AND TACH.

bloo
Bloo I have to correct you here- while you are correct about reading off the sprocket (the sprocket nut actually), the sprocket is directly connected to the transmission output shaft so both are doing the exact same thing. Also, I'm not sure if I am understanding you post but ANY gen (any sportbike really) that you change sprockets you will need a speedo healer because the bike computer will give the SAME MPH/RPM RELATIONSHIP no matter the change in sprockets. It simply does not know of any change and is calibrated for stock gearing and tire size and will ASSUME this combo of gearing always. If this is not what you mean please help me understand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts