Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dontknow: well i have been running +2 in the rear for about 8 months now and i decided to put the 16T on the front it feels great, but it smells like the clutch is burning? could it some how got out of adjustment or what please help... or any other ideas

·
Registered
572 Posts
How is the chain slack? Maybe double check the front sprocket to make sure the correct side is facing out. I'm not 100% sure but I believe certain sprockets require a specific side to face out due to non symetrical sides. Could be the problem. Double check proper rear wheel installation and alignment as well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got a vortex sprocket it is flat on both sides?... chain slack is 1.5 inches like the service manual calls for ?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
something doesn't sound right...chaning those sprockets should not have any affect on your clutch so dont worry about that...whats your weight and are you sitting on the bike when you are checking your chain slack? For example the chian slack will be less for a person that weighs 145lbs and a rider that weighs 250 lbs..I also checked it be sitting on the bike and reaching down for the slack...is there any lube that was on the chain when you replaced it that could be burning off? did you change your oil lately and spill some on the headers?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i weigh about 140 ... i pretty sure the chain slack is adjusted right... and yes i cleaned the chain and waxed it ! so maybe thats what it is

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yeah your clutch has nothing to do with your sproket install. I'm not sure on your sproket but in the manual it says that there are two sides to the factory sproket. However I have studied and studied the factory sproket and found that both sides are the same. I actually reversed it from the way it came from the factory and it has been fine. If you slip your clutch a lot on your bike you may be burning through your clutch. Also check your clutch lever adjustment. I know you can have it out of adjustment and its actually partially engaging your clutch which could cause a little bit of burning.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the wheel is the same on both sides and the bike rolls freely so i dont think the brake is hanging up

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i cleaned the chain with chain cleaner and waxed it... does anyone know how long it would take for excess cleaner/wax to burn off maybe that is the smell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts