Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, I went to the track for the 1st time to test the 10R, but was kind of disappointed. I know my 60 ft time was bad, but I was expecting more on the mph. Are these times way off? Is my bike low on power? If I improve my 60 ft times to 1.6, how much of a difference will I see? I am at sea level, temp in the 70s that night, I weight 220, I didn't feel any wheelspin and I am not that bad on the shifting department. I pulled away from my brother's Busa from a rolling start the other day and he has a K&N filter and -1 front. What's your input on this?

1st run
Reac .819
60 ft 1.941
1/8 7.183
1/4 10.765 @135.63

2nd run
Reac .652
60 ft 2.09
1/8 7.369
1/4 10.924 @136.76

:dontknow:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
What is done to your bike?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
For the first time those are some pretty good times. Keep at it and you will see a big difference in your et's.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'05, -1 front, BMC Filter, PCIII usb (zero map), Muzzy slip on, swingarm extension, lowering links, flush signal lights, fender eliminator, braided brake lines

Good times, come on guys, What about the 10.0 @144 mph stock? I was hoping at least that with the mods, of course with better 60ft.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Boricua said:
'05, -1 front, BMC Filter, PCIII usb (zero map), Muzzy slip on, swingarm extension, lowering links, flush signal lights, fender eliminator, braided brake lines

Good times, come on guys, What about the 10.0 @144 mph stock? I was hoping at least that with the mods, of course with better 60ft.
AS TIME GOES ON AND YOU LEARN WHAT YOUR BIKE LIKES, MEANING WHAT RPM TO LEAVE AT AND SUCH YOUR TIMES WILL DROP. I HAVE DRAG RACED CARS FOR A LONG TIME AND HAVE PICKED UP HALF A SECOND TO A SECOND AND A HALF JUST LEARING TO GET THE SIXTY FOOT DOWN AND CHANGED SHIFT POINTS. I WOULD IMAGINE IT WOULD BE THE SAME FOR A BIKE.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
By The Way Every Tenth Of A Second You Improve Your Sixty Foot Is Worth 2 Tenths At The End Of The Track. So If You Were Going 1.90 In The 60foot Mark And You Improved To 1.60 You Would Drop 6 Tenths In Your Overall Time, Meanig If You Went 10.60 You Would Drop To 10.0 Just Thought It Might Help You.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read that once, you are right on that. That would take me down to 10.1 or so, which is not that bad. How much improvement would I see with a quickshifter?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Boricua said:
I read that once, you are right on that. That would take me down to 10.1 or so, which is not that bad. How much improvement would I see with a quickshifter?
I THINK YOU NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON GETTING THE SIXTY FOOT TIMES DOWN BEFORE YOU GO SPENDING ANY MONEY. I WOULD MAXIMIZE EVERYTHING YOU GOT NOW THEN WHEN YOU CANT PULL ANY BETTER TIMES OUT OF IT, THEN LOOK FOR WAYS TO GET BETTER TIMES. LEARN TO GET THAT BAD BOY OUT OF THE HOLE THEN EVERTHING WILL FALL IN PLACE.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Your extended and can only get a 1.9-2.0 sixty foot?? I can get 1.75-1.80's with stock wheelbase. And i am not the greatest at launching a bike. Your strectched just dump that clutch and hold on tight. My buddy with the same set-up as you runs mid 9's on the motor doing that . I usually run 10 teens to 10.30's but with a better rider sixty footing 1.60's my bikes gone 9.80's.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Try a front end strap. Will help your 60' dramatically. Lowering the front will help also.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Boricua said:
Last week, I went to the track for the 1st time to test the 10R, but was kind of disappointed. I know my 60 ft time was bad, but I was expecting more on the mph. Are these times way off? Is my bike low on power? If I improve my 60 ft times to 1.6, how much of a difference will I see? I am at sea level, temp in the 70s that night, I weight 220, I didn't feel any wheelspin and I am not that bad on the shifting department. I pulled away from my brother's Busa from a rolling start the other day and he has a K&N filter and -1 front. What's your input on this?

1st run
Reac .819
60 ft 1.941
1/8 7.183
1/4 10.765 @135.63

2nd run
Reac .652
60 ft 2.09
1/8 7.369
1/4 10.924 @136.76

For first time runs or "shake down" passes for the first time down the track, they are OK numbers. Comparing those numbers to someone else at the same elevation and other parameters, you might look bad. I have hundreds of passes down a drag strip and my first trip down the track with my 10 will NOT be an awesome run. By run 4 or 5, I'll pick up the pace. By run 9 or 10, I'll be ready to race. Don't expect a 9.99 run at 140+ until you get your bike AND you all dialed in! :wink:

My main suggestion (and others seem to agree) is your 60' time and getting that clutch out! Youn can't shift into 2nd if you are still trying to get all the way into 1st!

In drag racing, your 60' time is the most important number of all (getting out of the hole). You should be able to get into the 1.55 to 1.65 range without becoming Rickey Gadson or having to hang on for dear life. If your old 60' was 1.941 and your new 60' can be 1.65 then subtract one from the other and then subtract that value from your first ET.

1.941 minus 1.65 = 0.291 then 10.765 minus 0.291 = your new ET of 10.474

Of course, that calucation is not an exact science or formula but you get the idea. In a nutshell, your 60' time DIRECTLY affects your ET. When I first look at my timeslip after every single run, I look at my 60' time and not my ET. My 60' time pretty much tells me how the run went.

You should be able to still get a better ET than 10.474 at sea level but that will come with time and getting your set up to work for you.

Air shifters and various electronic shift systems can improve your ET by eliminating an estimated 8' feet per shift than shifting by hand.

Other things for you to consider is your weight. Your bike has to haul you down the track versus someone that might weigh 155 pounds. Weight can make a HUGE difference in ET. I weigh 195 pounds without gear so I know!

Keep at it and PM me if you want to discuss more motorcycle drag racing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My problem seems to be getting the clutch out too fast, and the bike would die on me, and them picks up. I asked other guys at the strip but no one wanted to give a hint on the technique for clutch/gas combo. I take the bike to 7-8 k and go from there. My bike is lowered about an inch and it is not reaching for the sky at all. Thanks 7015.

·
Registered
318 Posts
and the 10 flat was done by a real pro dragracer who had mucho practice on it im sure. Its capable im sure, if u get it all down.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
If the front wheel isn't lofting when you let the clutch out, rev to 9k. If it bogs then, then you have to practice letting the clutch out slower. Because you're extended I would rev to about 10k and see where that got me or add teeth to the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
206 Posts
1killer1liter said:
If the front wheel isn't lofting when you let the clutch out, rev to 9k. If it bogs then, then you have to practice letting the clutch out slower. Because you're extended I would rev to about 10k and see where that got me or add teeth to the rear sprocket.
Very good suggestion 1killer1liter!

If your bike is not reaching for the sky at all, then increase initial launch RPM. The second concern behind launch RPM is getting throttle wide open (along with getting the clutch out). Watch these two videos of Rickey Gadson and Vince Woska. Listen to their RPMs and launch throttle control. Also notice they go full throttle when the lights say go (not 60' or 100' or farther down the track).

http://24.154.210.117:8090/Video/SuperSport450.rm

http://24.154.210.117:8090/Video/GainesvilleFinals/SS.rm

As for increasing launch RPM without the help of a Dyna 2-Stage Rev Limiter, I used to practice (before my Dyna) by putting my thumb somewhere between the starter button and the kill switch to help hold my hand still. I would then change the angle of my wrist based on my desired launch RPM. After a few launches, you can guess your RPM by ear.

I taught this to a guy at my home track (2005 ZX-6R) and he went to the semi-finals for the first time later that day!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Boricua said:

1st run
Reac .819
60 ft 1.941
1/8 7.183
1/4 10.765 @135.63

2nd run
Reac .652
60 ft 2.09
1/8 7.369
1/4 10.924 @136.76

It must be the bike. I'd buy a gixxer.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice clips, thanks. Will see what I can do.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts