Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i've been a lurker on here for sometime now, picked up a 05 10r last season and just recently ordered some new tires for the upcoming season. my bike is -1, +2 520 conversion. and as you all know stock tire size on the 1st gen is 190/50. i did alot of researching and it seems like a good idea to up the profile up to 55, however i've read somewhere that going from 50 to 55 is equivalent to +1 in the rear? if this is the case i'll be +3 is this a big deal? how much will this affect my handling/speedo/chain wear? sorry if this has been covered before, but i cant seem to find any information at all on +3 rear.

thanks,
jimmy

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
im 16/44 with a 190/55 rear tire and i ride mine on the street and strip... my speedo is showing about 10mph fast

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Hi i've been a lurker on here for sometime now, picked up a 05 10r last season and just recently ordered some new tires for the upcoming season. my bike is -1, +2 520 conversion. and as you all know stock tire size on the 1st gen is 190/50. i did alot of researching and it seems like a good idea to up the profile up to 55, however i've read somewhere that going from 50 to 55 is equivalent to +1 in the rear? if this is the case i'll be +3 is this a big deal? how much will this affect my handling/speedo/chain wear? sorry if this has been covered before, but i cant seem to find any information at all on +3 rear.

thanks,
jimmy
i dont think your going to tell that much of a difference between the two sizes. the bike will sit a lil higher in the rear with the taller stance tire tho.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
The taller or shorter profile tire will only aid in how the bike initially turns into a corner, handles, and some say there's a difference in the size of the contact patch between the 2......I've never heard of the sidewall size coming out the the same as +1 or -1 tooth on the rear sprocket though?.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
The taller or shorter profile tire will only aid in how the bike initially turns into a corner, handles, and some say there's a difference in the size of the contact patch between the 2......I've never heard of the sidewall size coming out the the same as +1 or -1 tooth on the rear sprocket though?.
:+1:

and you would have to have a sharpe eye to tell a change in ride height when you step back and look at it

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
It would actually be like taking a tooth away from rear sprocket if going up to a 55 series from a 50. I did the oppisite on my gen2, 55 to a 50 series. It is noticable to me the shorter size..like a 55 series worn down to the belts is best way to describe the 50 compared to a 55. You goibg up to a 55 will give you better turn in slightly and depending on tire profile, slightly less center contact patch.
My speedo was off 3mph when I dropped down to 50 series at 80mph checked via gps before and after.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts