Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody running this combo? im currently -1 on the front but i ordered up a cheapo steel +3 rear sprocket to try. the 10 is geared mighty tall, and i have no use whatsoever for extreme top end speeds. all my seat time is spent on in the mountains and twisty stuff with the occasional trackday. -1 +3 is pretty drastic and the 10 makes gobs of power but you dont really get "into" the power until your cruising at ludacris speed, so i thought id play around and see how it feels with a little gearing.

·
Registered
657 Posts
very very agressive setup. if you're on a tight track with lots of second gear corners it would be awesome, but on the street you'll be turning 8.5k+ at freeway speeds. give it a shot and let us know how it works out. biggest change i've done is -1/+2 and it was too much for me, i went back to -1/+1

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very very agressive setup. if you're on a tight track with lots of second gear corners it would be awesome, but on the street you'll be turning 8.5k+ at freeway speeds. give it a shot and let us know how it works out. biggest change i've done is -1/+2 and it was too much for me, i went back to -1/+1

thats the kind of feedback i was looking for. most of my riding is tight switchbacks through the mountains with the occasional sweepers thrown in. the sprocket was cheap enough to experiment with so im not committed to run this setup forever...

i like the -1 front but im looking for just a bit more, and +3 is probably more than a bit... realistically i'll probably end up with +1 or +2 and be happy, just thought id go extreme to start with and see how she handles.

as it stands now im hardly ever in 6th gear unless im on the interstate, and i avoid that at all costs... usually 4th or 5th keeps me where i like to be.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am -1/+2 and really like this combo. I am at about 5000-5500 at around 75mph. It keeps me out of a ton of speeding tickets. I also recommend a speedo healer if you don't have one already. With that aggressive of a gear change, the speedo will be way off. Plenty of quick get up and go with -1/+2. I am sure with +3 you will have trouble keeping the front end planted....I hope you have a steering damper as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I am -1/+2 and really like this combo. I am at about 5000-5500 at around 75mph. It keeps me out of a ton of speeding tickets. I also recommend a speedo healer if you don't have one already. With that aggressive of a gear change, the speedo will be way off. Plenty of quick get up and go with -1/+2. I am sure with +3 you will have trouble keeping the front end planted....I hope you have a steering damper as well.
are you sure you're at 5-5.5k at 75? because that's what i was at stock. -1/+1 i'm at 7.5-8k around 75mph.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive got a damper, and a special speedohealer on the way since im in the progress of gathering items for a gauge swap. i think the thing that held me back from messing with gearing much before was a speedohealer, and since i'll have one now, its time to play.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i`m up 8 in the back...more or less the same. its nice on tight stuff, fair for a commute. i`m at 5000 @55 , 6000 @70. i dont have to commute.

·
Registered
657 Posts
a speedohealer def makes things more fun. be sure to get the ext version as the standard version makes mounting a PITA because the cable isn't long enough. on the old bike i had it mounted on the subframe behind the side cowling under the seat so i could access the top speed recall button. on the race bike i mounted it on the ram air tube next to my xt lap timer.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I rode a Gen1 recently with -1 / +3 gearing - it belongs to my buddy (and fellow forum member) - I will tell you I was damn impressed. His bike is "basically" stock but that fugger really gets out with serious authority.

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
are you sure you're at 5-5.5k at 75? because that's what i was at stock. -1/+1 i'm at 7.5-8k around 75mph.
i think he meant "speedo" 75, so 55 realistically. I was -1/+4 on my zx9 and that was perfect, but with the ten it seems -1/+1 would be the limit, at least for my skinny ass. I can barely keep 2nd and 3rd down at just -1!!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I am on -1 / +2 combo and think it great. When the sprockets gets worn, I will be moving up to 43. Also got a 15 tooth fron tsprocket as well, still debating whether I should slap that on as well. That mean it be -2 front and +3 rear!!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just get an 06 and you won't have this problem :)
I wonder what the 08 will ride like since kawi went up 1 in the rear.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,532 Posts
On my race bike (2006 zx10RR) im -1 / +2.
Since the 04-05 came 17/39 and the 06 came 1740. Im guessing they should feel the same.

I raced this config last week and it was amazing... I had the proper gear for all the turns and it rode like a frieght train down the straights...

Im thinking of grabing a +3 to toss on the back, but im scared that might be too much, lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts