Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just signed up for one of those events at an airstrip where you go head to head with the person next to you.

The track will be half miles, and there will be a rolling start.
Anyone has any idea of what kind of gearing to use?
I read on the s1000rr forum they are hitting mid 170s by the half mile.

So I am either thinking stock gearing or -1 on the front for a 4th gen.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have no idea but my 4th gen tops out at 186ish -1 +2 gearing so if theyre hitting mid 170's then i feel like that would be a good choice but idk theres probably more of a strategy im not realizing...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have no idea but my 4th gen tops out at 186ish -1 +2 gearing so if theyre hitting mid 170's then i feel like that would be a good choice but idk theres probably more of a strategy im not realizing...
I agree with all of this. -1 +2 is more than enough gearing to cover 170s.

Right, Wrong, or indifferent I have my STP settings in 1st set to try and prevent the front from lifting as well. IDK how effective it is though.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I guess the general consensus is -1 up front. The rear will be easy to swap, so I can just bring more than one.
I will let you guys know how it works out, It will only be mid September, but there a few things I need done to the bike so i am starting early.

This is what the event looks like with cars. Rolling start, so i dont see much issue with whelies

·
Registered
782 Posts
It looks like a lot of runs are made. How do they control the even start? I see the cone markers, but I don't understand how they ensure an even start. Unless it is after this line and before this line? Time based with transponders? Like a running event?

·
Registered
569 Posts
As others have said I think you are on the right track with -1 with the counter sprocket. What is your bike geared to now?

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There isnt a whole lot of controling the even start. Ots between you and the guy next to you to be fair. But a lot of runs can be made, it is my firsy event, but i heard of people making 50+ runs in a day.

My gearing changes depending on the track im running. Currently it is -2 up front and stock rear

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Ha, missed the gen reference at the end of the post... my bad. :badteeth:

Lowering is pretty easy, and straps & lowering links are pretty cheap (and easy to undo). If you're going to lower it, go as much as you can before parts start dragging... no sense in half-assing it. :)

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, so the event was this weekend.

Saturday someone clipped the equipment that was measuring speed in one of the lanes so you were only getting readings in the left lane.
I did most of my runs in the right lane, as the line was much shorter due to obvious reasons.

Highest recorded I got was 172mph, but Im pretty sure I went faster in this video as we started as far back as possible, next to me was a buell 1125

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Good stuff man! Love how you can hear Buel noises right up to about 100mph, then it just seems to disappear. :helmet:

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good stuff man! Love how you can hear Buel noises right up to about 100mph, then it just seems to disappear. :helmet:
Haha yeah, the buell wasnt that fast, i think his trap speeds were mid 150s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts