260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my chain and sprockets today.
acceleration is crazy, this will take some time to get use to until then
I'll be the WHEELIE KING!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
hahaha nice, ive always wondered what changing the gearing would be like. im going to get some for the track to run different set ups but for the street w my mods i like the stock gearing but 520 coversion did a lot on its own.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Yep, -1 +2 rocks. The speedo jumps in 20mph increments because it can't keep up.. Just make sure you let the tire fully warm up before you go WOT in 1st or 2nd gear cause it will break loose.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
when changing the gears do you have to buy a different chain or does the chain not matter?

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
hahaha nice, ive always wondered what changing the gearing would be like. im going to get some for the track to run different set ups but for the street w my mods i like the stock gearing but 520 coversion did a lot on its own.
How did changing to a 520 do anything if you didnt change gearing? 520 is just a thinner chain that weighs slightly less :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Bigcat yes it is best to change your chain with your sprockets, unless they have fairly low miles, you also need to make sure the chain pitch matches the sprockets.

RDLYN, +1. I will literally guarantee you will not notice any difference between a 525 and a 520 conversion, its all in your mind.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have -1/0 right now and i can barely notice a difference, I'm thinking about switching back to stock this summer since i mostly only do top end runs.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
i have -1/0 right now and i can barely notice a difference, I'm thinking about switching back to stock this summer since i mostly only do top end runs.
i ran -1/0 for a while and i noticed a lil more pep down low but when i put a +2 on the back it really woke it up.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I used to run that ratio, but changed to just -1 in the front stock rear. I thought it was too jumpy and i dont need that much help to do a wheelie.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Bigcat yes it is best to change your chain with your sprockets, unless they have fairly low miles, you also need to make sure the chain pitch matches the sprockets.

RDLYN, +1. I will literally guarantee you will not notice any difference between a 525 and a 520 conversion, its all in your mind.
Im with you Teeks!! I'll keep the strength of the 525 over the 1.3 oz or whatever you save that i'll never notice anyways :lol:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
:+1: 520=waste of time/money
Tell that to the many 1st Gens I beat on the strip or on road with their full systems with just my slip-on. :crackup:

-1/+1....DID 520ERV3 now(ERV2 before that) very strong and doesn't stretch anymore I believe than the 525 it's the sprockets that I use that go first. :badteeth: :helmet:

·
Registered
755 Posts
:+1: 520=waste of time/money
I went to a 520 -1 +2 setup while making 176rwhp on my 09 and regret it as it is constantly stretching the chain.. Worst thing i ever did!!
Im just about to fit -1 +1 525 setup back on it and am hoping that i dont have the same issues!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Mine was a EK 520 MVXZ and found it to be rubbish:rolleyes: Ill never go back to another 520 chain reguadless of how good its rated at!
Im about to fit an RK GB525GXW which is meant to be the shiz.. Gold of course:thumbsup:
See how it holds up to the beast:cool:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
im with you teeks!! I'll keep the strength of the 525 over the 1.3 oz or whatever you save that i'll never notice anyways :lol:
:+1:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
-1+2 Is almost better than sex on my gen1 10.One of the reasons wy Ill never get rid of her.For a six year old bike,it still rocks!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
how much top end do you loose when you go to the -1/+2 change?? Most of my riding is in the city so I dont really get to top end very much but I am curious. I have always thought about switching up the sprockets....

1 - 20 of 111 Posts