Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how good are the retainers on the 09 zx10. I'm doing a port and polish on my head and putting in the kawasaki race cams and upgrading the intake valves. Do yall think I should put in titanium retainers and upgrade the springs?

Do yall know of any companys that make them for this year besides carpenter? Has anyone use the carpenters springs and retainers?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
We offer a complete kit with ti retainers for the 04-07 models..the oem exhaust spring is the same in 04-09 but the intake spring has a different part # so I'm not 100% on whether or not it is the same dimension spring or not as the gen 1 and 2 zx10's...our kit is $475 plus freight..lmk if we can help..803.285.8093

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool,

WHat measurements would you need from my stock intake springs so we can see whether its the same as the 04-07?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ok cool,

WHat measurements would you need from my stock intake springs so we can see whether its the same as the 04-07?
free length of the spring and the valve stem length measured from the tip of the valve to the spring base of the cylinder head..in other words, install the valve and with a set of vernier calibers measure how far the valve sticks out of the cylinder head with EVERYTHING removed that belongs with the valve spring..

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
free length of the spring and the valve stem length measured from the tip of the valve to the spring base of the cylinder head..in other words, install the valve and with a set of vernier calibers measure how far the valve sticks out of the cylinder head with EVERYTHING removed that belongs with the valve spring..
I have a specialized tool just for measuring that. You stick the valve in the head, and place the spring seat on, then using this tool you place it over the valve stem. It then measures the height of the valve from the spring seat to the tip of the valve.

It includes a setting standard to zero "0" out the dial indicator.

I bought this tool from Central Tools, I guess +15 years ago when I started more specailized engine building. To bad they discontinued it as it is part of a kit that you use to make other measurments with as well. I guess it is a rare tool now, still in like new condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a great tool.... Well today I'm going to take the measurements... I hope it's the same as previous gens so I can use other springs besides carpenters ... I hear they are too stiff.....

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Id like to know if springs are a necessity with Kawi race cams as well. The profiles are marginally different, don't know if they would need a spring upgrade.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No you don't need the springs at all with the kawi race cams... My buddy has the kawi intake and exhaust cams, shaved his head .15 thousandths and is running a kit .45 thin head gasket.... And everything is running great... If you refer to the kawi race manual it says you don't need it for there cams...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts