Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I just bought an 09 zx10r over a month ago. It was completely stock. So far I installed the full Akrapovic Evo exhaust system with a BMC air filter and the pc5. I downloaded the map for my exhaust system from the power commander website. It back fires sometimes when I'm down shifting. Not sure if this is good or bad. There was one time when I was riding and the motor just lost power and sounded like a v twin motor. I dropped it down a gear and i have it some gas to accelerate and maybe a half a mile down the road i gained my power back and the bike rode normal ever since. I have no idea why that happened. If someone has gone through this or if it's a common issue please let me know. My bike only has 3300 miles on it

I want to add some bolt on performance mods on the bike without having to open up the motor. So far I was looking into velocity stacks and from my understanding is they don't make them for my bike. I'm not sure why... Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? What other bolt ons can I get for my bike?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Ive actually been dealing with a similar problem on mine for the last week or so. I have not yet gotten to the bottom of it either. I am occasionally getting FI lights as well, but no stored codes and the bike runs fine. I did one time also have a dropped cyl for about 3 minutes. I assumed it has to do with my PCV as well. So far I have pulled all my ecm connections as there was something about the 3rd gens having a coil wire back out. All connections are still good. I loaded a different map into my PCV (i was using the leo vince map and I loaded the akra). That seemed to help for like an hour but then the symptoms slowly started coming back. I will be looking into it more this week. I will post any findings

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive actually been dealing with a similar problem on mine for the last week or so. I have not yet gotten to the bottom of it either. I am occasionally getting FI lights as well, but no stored codes and the bike runs fine. I did one time also have a dropped cyl for about 3 minutes. I assumed it has to do with my PCV as well. So far I have pulled all my ecm connections as there was something about the 3rd gens having a coil wire back out. All connections are still good. I loaded a different map into my PCV (i was using the leo vince map and I loaded the akra). That seemed to help for like an hour but then the symptoms slowly started coming back. I will be looking into it more this week. I will post any findings
What mods are you running? I'm trying to see what other mods/tricks I can do for some more performance. And thanks for the help! I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I have a full exhaust, BMC filter, PCV, -1 front sprocket, Healtech X-TRE. Thats it for "performance" the rest of my mods are for brakes and suspension.

I just looked at Dynojet's website and I dont see any updates since 1/2013

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a full exhaust, BMC filter, PCV, -1 front sprocket, Healtech X-TRE. Thats it for "performance" the rest of my mods are for brakes and suspension.

I just looked at Dynojet's website and I dont see any updates since 1/2013
What's a healtech? And is it a big difference in power?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Not really. Its supposed to allow the bike to have some extra timing in 1st thru 3rd gears. The main reason I got it was it also is supposed to add some off throttle fuel so that when you roll back on the gas its smoother. As a twisty rider I thought that would be helpful, and it did smooth that out some.

It does also disable your KIMS system as well, so thats something you might wanna consider also.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Im drawing a total blank at the moment but there is a set up that you can auto tune all you want and reflash to your hearts content..Got it on my gen 3 and noticed difference after the 1st flash..Its a fella from austrailia....There is atleast a 100 page thread in it called diy flashing..

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not really. Its supposed to allow the bike to have some extra timing in 1st thru 3rd gears. The main reason I got it was it also is supposed to add some off throttle fuel so that when you roll back on the gas its smoother. As a twisty rider I thought that would be helpful, and it did smooth that out some.

It does also disable your KIMS system as well, so thats something you might wanna consider also.
So if I flashed my ecu I could pretty much do everything that the healtech module does. What's a KIMS system??

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Kawasaki Ignition Management System if I recall correctly. Basically that was their first attempt at some traction control. It is not traction control however. Although now that I dig up this old thread, perhaps its not disabled. I cannot recall ever feeling it though since I did that mod.

read this......http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106458

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
When I was having my issue I called Dyno jet to tell them I updated the firmware and it still was having issues. They said to properly update the firmware you have to do the entire process like 3 times. I tried it and it fixed it.

Just to update, had a chance to work on the bike a bit today. Did exactly as you said, I updated 3 times then loaded up my map. Took the bike for an hour ride and it was flawless. I dont get it, but it worked.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
That update stopped the bike from sporadically losing power??

That had only happened to me once, however I did get a FI light on 2 other occasions (no codes registered), although the bike still ran fine. I was getting a lot more popping on decel too. But to answer your question, so far yes it has fixed it. I have only gotten to ride for a couple hours though, so far so good. I will ride more this weekend hopefully. I would strongly suggest giving it a try. Its certainly easy enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts