Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the dealer a couple weeks ago, and was just browsing the Ducati's and Kawi's waiting for my service to get done and noticed the showa forks on the 09 6r, I haven't really been keeping up on how they're performing so I was curious if they are a better setup than the 08-09 10r forks... Any info?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
They are supposed to be pretty good, they are what is called a big piston design, the gixxer 1k's have them as well. I have been watching ebay and kawiforums to see if I can pick up a set to try, but not sure if they would swap without changing other stuff.

heres all the techical details on the BPF forks
http://www.ashonbikes.com/node/389

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 600's use 41mm forks and the 1000's use 43mm forks, so they will not fit without using the 6r's triple trees if they even fit the 10r.

The GSXR1000's BPF's would possibly work assuming they are the same length.

IMO you'd be better off spending the $$$ to add the proper spring and valving to your OEM forks versus buying a set of BPF forks.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
was about to spring for some GSXR forks (BPF SHOWA) but was like well how much better out of the box are they going to be than a set of custom traxxion cartridges?
but the 6R are to going to get some flex most likley and require sleeves or custom triples
but the GSXR has them as well and should be a minor modifaction to mount up, looked into that but for %600 i will hold onto what i have.
waiting to see the 2010 zx-10r with them and go from there.

·
Registered
677 Posts
was about to spring for some GSXR forks (BPF SHOWA) but was like well how much better out of the box are they going to be than a set of custom traxxion cartridges?
but the 6R are to going to get some flex most likley and require sleeves or custom triples
but the GSXR has them as well and should be a minor modifaction to mount up, looked into that but for %600 i will hold onto what i have.
waiting to see the 2010 zx-10r with them and go from there.
6r bpf work pretty good, the gsxr's version not so good, I haven't tried them myself so..... The 08-09 zx10 forks are very good and with a revalve-respring hard to beat for the money imho

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
yeah waiting to see what comes in the future as according to the ohlins rep here in europe the TTX cartridge kit (like the BPF) is going to be out next year as well.
i can wait for that, being after this winter i will be in Iraq for a year and no riding...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
that was one of the things that draws me to wanting that 09 6R LOl I love those forks, Im willing to bet the 10R will have them next year.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll bet $1 that the 10 gets them in 2010.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
what does bng stand for?

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,716 Posts
The 600's use 41mm forks and the 1000's use 43mm forks, so they will not fit without using the 6r's triple trees if they even fit the 10r.

The GSXR1000's BPF's would possibly work assuming they are the same length.

IMO you'd be better off spending the $$$ to add the proper spring and valving to your OEM forks versus buying a set of BPF forks.
True and false.

The 41mm (zx6) vs 43mm (zx10) are measured on the bottom fork tube.
Both set of forks are 50mm in the tripple.

The measurement is taken at the Chrome part of this tube. (09 zx6)
The top of the tubes are 50mm.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
What would be beneficial out of switching out these tubes other then saying you dropped your front end a couple mm's down, if anything you could replace the internals for half the price of getting a complete new setup? Have to ask?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
True and false.

The 41mm (zx6) vs 43mm (zx10) are measured on the bottom fork tube.
Both set of forks are 50mm in the tripple.

The measurement is taken at the Chrome part of this tube. (09 zx6)
The top of the tubes are 50mm.

:+1: The axle diameters are the same as well, so it seems they might be a even swap.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,716 Posts
What would be beneficial out of switching out these tubes other then saying you dropped your front end a couple mm's down, if anything you could replace the internals for half the price of getting a complete need setup? Have to ask?
41mm vs 43mm is the thickness of the lower (chrome). It have nothing to do with ride hieght.

Here is a Copy and paste article that can explain the Big Piston Fork benifit over ours. Besides having larger valves 16mm vs 35mm (I think, but not sure)

Lighter is the other.

pasted.....

Compared to a cartridge-type fork of the same size, the BPF features a main piston almost twice as large. Oil inside the BPF acts on a surface area almost four times the size of traditional forks. The larger surface area allows the damping pressure to be reduced while ensuring the damping force remains the same. Reducing the damping pressure allows the slide pipe to move more smoothly, which is especially noticeable at the initial part of the stroke. Because the BPF eliminates many of the internal components used in a cartridge-type fork, construction is simplified resulting in lighter overall fork weight.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I understand my friend, thanks...But nice copy and paste LOL

So my nexted thing is, if I ever happen to run across a wrecked 09+ zx6r maybe I should grab up the forks off it?? It sounds like it would help a lot but I would still want more feed back...

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,716 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts