Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, searched around a bit for this one but didn't find much. I'm trying to take the swingarm off my 08 10R and have gotten as far as removing the rear wheel, shock, mud guards and chain from the drive sprocket and then removed the swingarm pivot shaft nut and pulled out the shaft but the swingarm won't budge.

Now I haven't loosened the swingarm pivot nut because I do not have the swingarm pivot nut wrench (castle wrench). I live in Canada and they want a fair amount of $$ for the wrench, not to mention that it will take a long time to get in (a month+), and I need to remove the swingarm asap.

Anyone know a way around this?:dontknow: Any help would be most appreciated! If you know of a post that I have missed in error, a link would be great too!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
On that castle nut you can get an appropriately sized socket and notch it to the correct shape.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Do you have to loosen the castle nut to remove the swingarm though?
Yes, but as mentioned above... just find a socket that is a little too small to fit around it like it would if it were a regular nut. Then use a dremel to cut notches in it so that it now fits like the tool you want. Will cost no more than $15 if you have a dremel.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
on my 05 i losened the left nut . i used a hex socket and inserted it in the rigt side where the lock nut is, I turned it counter clock wise and removed the sleeve with the nut.i didnt want to spend $75.00 for the socket.:helmet:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Does the dremel cut through sockets easily? Seems like I'm asking for trouble and/or loss of digits. Any idea what size of sproket for those that have done this before?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on my 05 i losened the left nut . i used a hex socket and inserted it in the rigt side where the lock nut is, I turned it counter clock wise and removed the sleeve with the nut.i didnt want to spend $75.00 for the socket.:helmet:
I was thinking about that, but would that work or am I bound to bugger something up on my frame? I was thinking that the swingarm pivot nut was simply a retainer washer looking part, and not the entire piece that holds the swingarm shaft in place.

Am I understanding this wrong?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Mine was a 14 mm hex and a piece of cake.just remember to torque it when reassembling.I believe there was a tread on this site. i got it from here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got myself a 27mm socket, dremeled it out and managed not only to damage the swingarm pivot nut but not loosen it at all. Great.

Looks like I'm gonna try the 14mm hex head next...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes the castle nut fits on the bearings of the swing arm kinda like the spacers on the wheels...
Before I go ahead a screw something up even further, can anyone confirm that I can remove the entire assembly by bypassing the castle nut and simply using a hex head (14mm?) on an 08 10R?

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
:iamwithst.... just how I did it

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
as cbolton said, i did the same thing, worked like a champ...once you get the experience from doing this once it will last a lifetime....had a castle socket way back when with my 93 zx7r...hell lost that damn thing.
but have not used one since with my 6r, 9r, 10r

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so it's a simple twist off then?

Seems odd... Why would Kawi make a proprietary tool if you could just bypass it with a 14mm hex head?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts