Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy at work whos a regular at the drag strip has a Honda CRX with a turbocharger on it and he's talking all kinds of shit to get me to race him 1/4 mile. I've never dragged a bike before but am pretty good with the throttle. Is he likely to smoke me? We are racing on an interstate, he takes this shit very seriously, has slicks on it the whole nine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
those crx's weigh next to nothing, my 2 friends picked the rear of the car up a couple feet. with the right set up and slicks he could be getting some pretty fast times, might be a good race if he has ALOT of stuff done

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What rpms should I try and launch at w stock gearing? I really want to beat this guy the more he talks smack.

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
try to find a strap so you can strap the front end! then take off at around 8-10rpm go full throttle as soon you take off and let the clutch fingers do the rest of the work!

·
Registered
341 Posts
You will be fine. I have a crx i am building up and a 06 zx10. I brought my bike to the track for the first time last weekend and ran 10.9 with an extreemly shitty launch because i have no experiance dragging. There was a 88 turbo civic that had around 450 hp suposably and ran 12.1 with slicks. He had a clean run and hooked up alright but i am guessing he can get in the 11s. Still i have no experiance and ran in the 10s for my first time.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
So what do you know about the CRX? Mods? Weight? Not enough info...either way I would line with it.

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
well it all depends on what motor the crx has. if its the old stock single with turbo. you'll def win. but if it's a built duel you'll have your hands full. my buddy had a crx that went 9.50's so you'll def have your hands full if he's done a motor swap as well as a turbo
there's no stock crx that comes turbo from the factory and it doesnt motor what he's got on his crx the 10r will smoke that car period! We have some of the fastest civics here in LA and I personally work on them too so I know.

·
Registered
874 Posts
What mods he has done to the car is all irrelevant... there are too many variables anyway... just find out what times he is running and you'll know then for sure if you have a chance or not.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
A guy at work whos a regular at the drag strip has a Honda CRX with a turbocharger on it and he's talking all kinds of shit to get me to race him 1/4 mile. I've never dragged a bike before but am pretty good with the throttle. Is he likely to smoke me? We are racing on an interstate, he takes this shit very seriously, has slicks on it the whole nine.

Before you race him, get to a track and find out how fast YOU are on your bike...going to the dragstrip for the first time is a very humbling experience....what feels like being shot out of a rocket on the street, might be very very slow at the track...not busting ur ballz, just saying, find out what you run before you take the callenge on...and get some seat time launching the bike..!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Before you race him, get to a track and find out how fast YOU are on your bike...going to the dragstrip for the first time is a very humbling experience....what feels like being shot out of a rocket on the street, might be very very slow at the track...not busting ur ballz, just saying, find out what you run before you take the callenge on...and get some seat time launching the bike..!
This is true! Not only with a bike with with a car and a truck. The car I drove everyday on the street (and the bike too) and you get up to the line and so much is happening at once your head starts to spin. But once you do it a few times its natural and you can focus on better launches and shifts.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well it all depends on what motor the crx has. if its the old stock single with turbo. you'll def win. but if it's a built duel you'll have your hands full. my buddy had a crx that went 9.50's so you'll def have your hands full if he's done a motor swap as well as a turbo
Its a built dual with a turbo and he wants to race for money. We were supposed to race today but its 100 degrees here and I dont ride when its hot as balls.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He won't tell me what kind of times his car runs and he is very vague about his engine mods. It's my day off tomorrow and í'm going to spend some time practicing my launch! The thing I don't like about it is its almost a win win for him. If he loses he'll talk shit because he got beat by a bike and thats very common... and if he wins I'll never here the end of it. Im going to spend some time practicing my launch, I just dont want to overdo it and #$%^&* up my bike. Its only got 2000 miles and I think I like her more than I do my girlfriend! You know what I mean!!??

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
So what has he said as far as mods? I want to know. (I work at a speed shop) Weight? Times? What is his compression? What PSI is he running? Cams? What size TB? Is he running an aftermarket IM? FMIC right? Is it gutted...like drag car gutted? Is he running a cage of any kind? What track does he run it at? If he runs it at the track, when he runs faster times, he will need to make the car safer so he can run it at the track per their rules. In this way, you might be able to approximate what he runs. So say...if he has a cage, then you know he is running at least x.xx times...ya know what I mean?

Hell, I would still line up with him. No matter his mods. I would also get your launch down...or at least improved. Sounds like fun to me, win or lose.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts