Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy crap finally saw one in person. WOW!! That is a hot bike. They were offering test rides. I may go back and test one out. The base model. I have a question though. The zx10 has been out performing the 1198 in the reviews why is everyone so wild about the DUC. Personally I would be getting it cuz it looks amazing and the 1198 is supposed to be pretty fast. I do like the fact that I can run down most anything with my ZX10. Will the upside of the DUC replace that?

Looking forward to the test ride?

Hmmm, no gonna lie that bike is freaking HOT!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
My dad owns an 1198S and I have to say that it is a very nice bike to ride. It is very fast and you gotta love the V-twin sound. I also have an RC-51 so I am kinda partial to V-twins. If you bought one and got it setup, you wouldn't be disappointed. It is just different than the 10. Not better or worse. Some people like the riding position and nature of the Ducatis over the current Japanese inline fours and vice versa. Go with whatever is comfortable. No doubt the 1198 is a sexy bike though.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i rode one recently and the biggest thing i noticed was how easy it is to ride. the riding position and having torque everywhere makes it very fun.

yea its a Ducati, there are cars made faster than a ferrari, but at the end of the day its just not the same

·
Registered
105 Posts
With the Heli bars on, the ZX-10R is much more comfortable and manouverable at legal speeds. Makes it a different bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got to take a quick ride on a friends and one thing i will say about it compared to my 08 zx10 is I loved the weight much better and didn't get on it to hard but was amazing in/out of corners. Would love to have one (if could afford) but after I added the TRE to mine. Mine does feel faster and stronger. Would like to run against it now and see for sure.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The 1198 has a lot stronger low end than the ZX-10R, but is not as strong up top. I would say the ZX-10R is faster in a straight line. The 1198 feels lighter and is narrower. Both bikes handle well. The 10R has a bigger tank and longer fuel range. The Duc sounds better. Both are good bikes.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes I have to chime my .02 worth and I have to say the Ducs rule BUT in the summer time you will hate it because of the heat burning the hole in your leg.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there are cars made faster than a ferrari, but at the end of the day its just not the same
Totally agree... Looking forward to the test ride. I am really starting to connect with the ZX10 so I wonder how natural the 1198 will feel. I felt comfortable right away with the ridding position on the ZX10.

I just can't shake the idea that my ZX10 will run down the 1198 so I want to ride it and see if it really makes up for the topend every where else. I should be going to the Ducati dealer this week.

I don't have the money to get one right now but the future looks promissing:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Not sure about many people and their street riding habits but a 1098 or 1198 is not going to get left behind by a zx10r until over 120mph, so if your in the twisties that are here in Italy the 10r will never have a chance to use its upper power and you will leave it behind..

I loved my 1098 (will be sold in the morning) but it was not very good at doing all the type of riding i do, very hard on the wrists, and well not all my riding is on a curve which is where the bike excels most leaned over and on the gas.
the riding position is in my opinion far better if your doing trackdays or racing and as for looks hard ot beat period.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure about many people and their street riding habits but a 1098 or 1198 is not going to get left behind by a zx10r until over 120mph, so if your in the twisties that are here in Italy the 10r will never have a chance to use its upper power and you will leave it behind..

I loved my 1098 (will be sold in the morning) but it was not very good at doing all the type of riding i do, very hard on the wrists, and well not all my riding is on a curve which is where the bike excels most leaned over and on the gas.
the riding position is in my opinion far better if your doing trackdays or racing and as for looks hard ot beat period.
I know the 1198 is an awesome bike. I just want to see how it feels compared to the ZX10. Getting passed at 120 on the way to 189 YIKES... That is a beat down. The roads around here are wide open so big hp bikes rule around here. Back roads it's anyones game.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a gen3 10r and also rode an 1198S:

Upside:
1. Very sexy, turns heads, impresses people who don't ride and know nothing about bikes
2. Impresses people who know bikes and don't have the money to blow that you do
3. Gooooorgeous parts and quality
4. Fun V-twin at low speeds....requires very skilled rider
5. and last but theeeee most important factor by far...Bragging rights! But in all honesty an MV Agusta will trump the Duc...so if that's what you're after go for the MV.

Down sides of the Duc:
1. Too small if you're 6' like me...knees banging the corners of the fairings constantly, not able to get my knees tightly hugging the overly thin tank
2. Narrow power band, spanked by the 10R on the highway!
3. No where near as much torque as I expected from 1200cc twin S !!!! I expected more.
4. No where near worth double the ZX10R price for slightly less performance
5. Serious over heating (on a 20C day, my 10R was 76C on the highway, 1198S was 104C!!!!!!!!) That's just insane....may have been a problem with my friend's duc but there is a reason why they are prone to over heating.
6. Very sexy...can bring the wrong kind of attention when you park it around not so great parts of town.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Not sure on the overheating as a group of us in NY on 30+ celcius days 90+ for US people, no issue at all, just the other day riding in traffic here in 34 Celcius weather no heating issue.
No where near as much torque? i am not following that one
as for fit it is a personnel thing, after i get off the 1098 then on my 1st ge zx10r, i almost cant ride the 10r as it is to damn small and not a welcome riding postion when you get off a race bike in waiting to a street bike..

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
I know the 1198 is an awesome bike. I just want to see how it feels compared to the ZX10. Getting passed at 120 on the way to 189 YIKES... That is a beat down. The roads around here are wide open so big hp bikes rule around here. Back roads it's anyones game.
Good post...I think that gets missed alot depending on the type of riding...I believe Kawi 1ks have proved if you want to hang out with them on the top end or even at the drag strip your bike better have a good clutch and huge top end....unfortunately for most it's has been pr oven only a hand few of bikes can compete with that. :wink::cool::helmet:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I think "Alaywa" nailed it on the head for me, they are great bikes but if your not using them on the track to me there point less in less you have to money to show it off then go for it. But this is how I will say it I parked in between two ducati's one being a 1098 and the other 1198 and more people were looking at my bike over them. Not to rag on them or anything but to me ducati's are way over rated, and truthfully vtwins are great but I'd only take one if handed one again. I had a couple little sv's for the track and they were great but on the street I could get beat by a freaking 500 ninja haha

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm confused here. Whats the difference between this situation(someone wanting to part with there Kawi for a Duc) and the guy that was asking about the GSX R and the R1 when his ZX10 was stolen? Even though he was having issues with his insurance company etc, the bottom line is that both are inquiring about a bike other than a ZX10. Stolen bike guy got totally flamed but not here. Looks like brand loyalty only extends to Japanese bikes on here. I don't get it. :dontknow:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I would love to have a Duc but for some reason Kawi is just the brand that i want more than any other. There are great things to take away from every other manufacturer out there, but for me Kawasaki is the best.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have owned the 08 ZX10 and I now own a 09 1198s.. The 10r was easier to ride in traffic and in the real slow stuff. My 1198s has assloads more torque that my 10 ever had and its close to the same in HP. The Duck has big legs on top. The top speed of the Duck is awesome, once I get to the 160mph mark the 1198 just pushes harder thru the air better than my 10 did. I ride with 3 other 08 10s and have never had a problem running them down on top end.. Just my .02 :thumbsup:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Really cause I ran a 1098 and 1198 on top of 2 08 zx10rs this past weekend and the 10r's at least stayed with me the ducati's after about 3rd gear were no where to be found haha. It was as bad of a beat when I raced a guy on a 09 r1!!! I dont know where your coming from!!! These races where with the ducati's and were 40-50-60mph roll ons and two launches and I didnt get beat by any ducati lol

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Really cause I ran a 1098 and 1198 on top of 2 08 zx10rs this past weekend and the 10r's at least stayed with me the ducati's after about 3rd gear were no where to be found haha. It was as bad of a beat when I raced a guy on a 09 r1!!! I dont know where your coming from!!! These races where with the ducati's and were 40-50-60mph roll ons and two launches and I didnt get beat by any ducati lol
never heard of the New ZX10R having problems with anything on the Top End so :iamwithst...roadracer98 make sure your buddies switch gears when you run them the New 10R Beat ALL bikes made at the fastest accelerating bike contest to 180mph I believe including yours :heyyou: :badteeth::dontknow:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts