Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 08' zx10 with starrotors HIDs and my battery died. Had the bike 6 months I use it regularly. The negative terminal is burnt is this a problem caused by the HIDs or does it sound like a bad stator. Either way I'm taking it in to get checked

·
Registered
598 Posts
Use a multi meter to check to see if your charge goes up or down when you start the bike (after recharging the battery to get it to start of course). Most HID kits actually draw less power after they ignite. That said I have HIDs, a GiPro, and PC III and I blew my stator in 9k miles.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
you nailed it on the head!!! I say give the battery a slow 2amp charge for a good solid 24 hours, but hids draw less power over all!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have about about 12.5K miles on it. My bike is still under warranty its not a problem right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I got my bike back from the the dealership and they told me that the charging system and all the electrical connections were fine on my bike. That it was the HIDs that caused my battery to die out. Again I have the Starrotors kit on for about 4 months and I really dont wanna put the stock headlights back on. Anyone have any suggestions

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Most shops are gonna look at any aftermarket stuff as the cause of the problem..
Ive had hids(A&R and now SR) for a few years now along with PCIII,Gipro,alarm,Speedo Corerector,Halos. Still have original battery from 06..

But just in case it is those remove them and see what happens... The star rotors kit i have actually just connect to the existing wiring harness, were as the A&R kit went directly to the battery. Also HIDS draw more power on start up then reg bulbs,but after there on they will draw less.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A bad or loose connection will cause resistance which causes heat. Check all connections are tight. Positive and negative cables both ends. Make sure a wire is not grounding out somewhere.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree w/ the loose connection thing.. BUT I thought that HID's required a certain capacitor type dealyo thinger mobobber?? hahaaha!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts